[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MTG Commander/Elder Dragon Highlander • View topic - A General EDH Survey

Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2020-Jan-18 3:18 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: A General EDH Survey
AgePosted: 2019-Jun-24 1:54 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-24 3:53 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-24 5:37 am 

I was planning on doing my annual survey again this year, I'll include a question or two so I can try to get a feel for motivations.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-24 8:46 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-24 9:24 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-24 10:49 am 

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-24 1:17 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-25 4:21 am 
EDH Rules Committee

I've digested this data and the comments. My thoughts are pretty much in line with Toby's.

I'm particularly interested the number of people who feel they have no influence and what level of influence they believe they should have.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-26 11:32 pm 

I am usually pretty quiet as I often am not able to respond until someone else has said something similar to what I was going to say and my opinions are already documented here and there. I think that we should unban a lot of cards and the requirements to ban new cards should be much higher. I suggest we restrict all the cards (/sarcasm).

I do feel that discussions/disagreements on the internet typically have a Zero percent chance of changing opinions, so I am looking foward to (hopefully someday soon) driving down to play with Sheldon as I now live about 2 hours away (or so).Maybe if I can get in a game or three and maybe that can change something, either my opinion or his.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-27 12:49 am 

I think I've got about as much influence on the EDH banlist as a grain of sand has on the shape of a beach. If something gets banned or unbanned or if the rules change it probably won't be because of anything I said or did, and I guess that's fine because it's normal for format management.

As a result I don't really put much energy into discussing ban/unban or rules changes. When I do I know it's mostly irrelevant except to the people having the discussion. Part of me is still like “Someone's saying this card should be banned/unbanned, and them doing so will directly lead to that happening unless you respond and convince them specifically not to do so!” but I put that aside and ignore it because that's not true: them calling for a banning/unbanning has as much influence as me responding objecting to it.

I'm not entirely satisfied with the ban list philosophy. There's some kind of disconnect between how I think of what Commander's supposed to be, and how the EDH is actually running it. I know it's meant to be for casual for-fun games. The EDH RC seems to take a laissez-faire approach to that goal: whatever isn't actually existentially posing an existential threat to the format's longevity is fine and for groups to work out. There's a grade of cards like Iona though that, despite not being an existential threat, seem to be net un-fun on games they show up in, and I don't understand why that grade isn't banned—it seems like a natural step to do that in the stewardship of a casual for-fun format. I don't understand why that isn't a step the EDH RC takes—I have guesses at best—and I haven't seen them talk about that on this site. It leaves me confused about the format and I don't understand how to resolve that disconnect to better understand what I should be expecting to get out of EDH or bring to it. I don't expect the ban list to change on my account, but it would be nice to understand what goes on behind the EDH RC philosophy.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-28 4:56 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-28 8:56 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-28 9:20 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-29 10:48 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-30 9:05 am 

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next