[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MTG Commander/Elder Dragon Highlander • View topic - Experience Morph With Ezuri

Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2020-Jan-19 1:20 pm

Post subject: Experience Morph With Ezuri
AgePosted: 2015-Dec-15 10:36 am 

(!empty($user->lang['IMAGE'])) ? $user->lang['IMAGE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'IMAGE')))

Decklist

Just about every time I think about this deck, I go back to double check that Ezuri's ability doesn't have extra stipulations on getting experience counters outside of the power 2 or less--as in non-token or something. Every time I look at it I'm again surprised they didn't.

There's probably a bunch of cards I'm missing, but like I've said before, this deck is still quite thrown together. I'm not used to the morph aspect of the deck, and inevitably just throw creatures out onto the battlefield instead of sitting back every once in a while to flip creatures and get their effects. The number of cards which play well with Ezuri is likely astronomical, so I'm just trying out these cards for now.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Experience Morph With Ezuri
AgePosted: 2015-Dec-15 1:29 pm 

How about some of these for support:

- Won't trigger experience counter, but extra blocking power
- Again no trigger, but reach
- No trigger, but evasion
- Beefy cards go stomp
- Experience counter ... plus trample
- If you want a bigger body attached to the trample

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-15 2:35 pm 

. Aside from meeting the criteria for experience triggers, you can pile counters on him from Ezuri and then re-distribute them as you see fit on your next upkeep.

or even better, could be excellent here.

As for morphs, is a powerful card, and worth a look. is a go-to for re-setting your unmorph triggers, and is just amazing.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-15 10:06 pm 

Thanks for replying!

AutoXCivic, those creatures are good if I thought I'd have a bunch of creatures on the battlefield with +1/+1 counters, but that's not what I've seen from play testing so far (with the exception of , but I just don't know if it does enough compared to other cards in the deck). is probably what I'd use to give my creatures trample, but I actually passed on it while building the deck. The Paragon still might make it in, but I'm waiting on a 'real' test of the deck.

Sid, I really like , and had honestly forgotten about it. It is a little annoying that I'd be getting Ezuri counters on my combat, and then have to wait a full turn cycle before I'd get to see those counters have any effect on the board. I'm wondering if that's giving my opponents too much time to react. I'm planning on getting a game in with the deck on Thursday, so afterwards I'll see if there's a good spot for . There isn't much ramp in the deck at all--which is sort of unnatural for Simic colors--so it can take quite a while to get to a high enough land count for high-costed cards.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-16 11:03 am 

So I came up with some more cards I should consider, and also picked out what cards I of the ones suggested. These are going to be cards I consider after playing it tomorrow.

, , and are the ones suggested above that I had on hand (and easily found).

--it invalidates getting more experience counters from creatures entering the battlefield, but a couple rounds of pumping this Thrinax and I won't care. It does what Forgotten Ancient does, except better in some ways.

--doesn't give an experience counter when it enters, but quickly gives a ton of them.

--this produces tokens which I find very appealing. I'm less certain about it though than some of these other ones.

--ramp is important, and I may consider more of it with this one.

I've also missed , but I'm hoping there's a free one somewhere in my collection. It trumps trample every time. is sort of a third copy of the Forgotten Ancient effect; unfortunately, I don't have one available right now. Oh well.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-16 2:19 pm 

If you can, give the a try too. It basically says "2: Prevent all combat damage target creature without trample would deal this turn. Gain an experience counter. Play this ability up to 4 times each turn."

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-19 2:49 am 

Slick looking deck. A couple of minor suggestions for your support cards:

seems like it should have a home in the counter spell lineup.

seems straight up better than . That being stated I'd consider running both since even late game when ramp isn't as important they're still providing experience counters.

May be worth an inclusion since you don't have many lands the ETB tapped.

Finally, , , and all seem like good draw engines for the deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-19 10:29 pm 

Thank you!

I thought about Mystic Snake, but I didn't see one while going through my cards unfortunately. It's one I'll consider getting if I decide I really need to buy cards for the deck.

has a similar effect to Sakura-Tribe Elder and Dawntreader Elk, and I'm running that also. Elder probably does do better in one or both of their spots, but in most cases it won't matter as much. will like get a space first, for being able to ramp more than once.

Khalni Garden will make it in once I remember where I put all of the ones I have. :x

And I'm actually not itching for more card draw in this deck currently. The ones I have right now have done quite well. Yeah, I could probably do with one more or so, and in that case I'll probably pick Sage of Fables over Zameck and Automaton, if only because its activation is colorless and I can take a counter off of any creature I control (also, Automaton's ability is two counters per card versus one counter per card). I actually passed over Sage of Fables multiple times while building the deck and getting out cards for the next .

I didn't get to test this deck out in a real game yet, unfortunately. Once I do, I'll post something about it here.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-24 1:09 pm 

Okay, so I played the deck, and despite not drawing more than six lands--no, seriously, I drew ten extra cards off of without hitting a land. Worst of luck sometimes.

Still won the game, though. absolutely has to be taken out before the round ends. Untapping with it won me the game. I stole a , , and throughout the game.

Anyway, the changes I'm making:
-
-
-
-Forest
-Island

+
+
+
+
+

Yes, I complained about not drawing lands and now I'm taking a couple out. I'm convinced I was just really unlucky last game.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-13 7:43 pm 

?
It's a mix between ramp & triggers. Play morphed the turn you play a land, trigger Experience, morph it into a land : You've just played a second land for the turn. It's also a decent one(shot blocker against a ground creature without trample.

About the only thing I'd add is an effect to blink out your non-morph creatures once Ixidron has done his thing. I love Ixidron but there's always one non-morph guy yu'd prefer to have face up.

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-14 12:40 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-28 6:56 am 

Needs more . He pumps your morphs, flips them for cheap and can unmorph your manifest stuff that isn't a creature. I really like this deck idea and my convert my old broken Ixidor deck into something like this.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-28 4:12 pm 

Ixidor pumps your morphs - and those in turn won't trigger Ezuri anymore.

Playing Ixi invalidates Ezi.

Generals:
too many, and always changing... except:

Rakdos, Lord of Riots (Demon Tribal)
Melek, Izzet Paragon (Dragonstorm) -> these must stay because of a house rule

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-28 7:21 pm 

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile