[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MTG Commander/Elder Dragon Highlander • View topic - Zurgo's Kor

Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2020-Jan-18 2:58 pm

Post subject: Zurgo's Kor
AgePosted: 2015-Jan-30 12:23 pm 

Zurgo's Kor

(!empty($user->lang['IMAGE'])) ? $user->lang['IMAGE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'IMAGE')))

Welcome to the Core of the Mardu tribe. Enter his BLOOD CIRCLE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

The purpose of this deck is to deliver pain to your enemies at all points of the game, whether attacking or blocking, and all the points inbetween. Begin with the Kor of the deck--the only creatures in the game who can redirect damage--and use them to force your opponents into tricky situations: do they block your assaults and lose life, lose their creatures; or, do they hold off to attempt their own assault, only to have it backfire?

Other card possibilities:

--I really want this in the deck...but I feel just as strongly that it would end too many games in an unfun manner (especially being tutorable with Sunforger).

, , , --there are plenty of these cards which are really good at dealing damage indirectly, especially with Zurgo's power + indestructibility combo. I had them in at first...but there's just not enough room currently. More efficient removal (Path, Swords, O-Ring) took these spots for the most part.

--awesome card, but terribly slow. It'll likely hang around for the first set of cards I switch out.

, , --damage absorbing creatures and such which lost out because I'd rather be attacking or dealing damage than gaining life (and Task Force and Daru Spiritualist took Inviolability's possible spot).

--spot taken by Ashen Rider, but still presents a very interesting card: it can absorb massive amounts of damage through regeneration, but also can Ninjutsu into the game when your opponents are unwilling to block.

--it fits into one side of the deck, but I don't like it as much as Task Force and Daru Spiritualist. Those two are cheaper (and Stuffy Doll matches Zurgo's CMC, causing a conflict there), cooler, and can still get in on the attack.

--I'm set up for infinite life, but the combo bores me and doesn't entirely help me against general damage and poison. It's going to sit out for now.

I'm glad to hear suggestions, and once I get a few games in I'll have a better understanding of what works and what doesn't.

Last edited by Segrus on 2016-May-18 8:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Zurgo's Kor
AgePosted: 2015-Jan-30 1:37 pm 

belongs in every deck... even monoU can find a home for it if you look close enough!

Kidding aside, you are already forcing difficult blocks and impossible combat math calculations, Ink-eyes is a superstar in these situations. Getting the best thing out of a graveyard is often more important than hitting someone for 5 because it means it is more difficult for them to reanimate and or someone has to waste additional resources to combat her.

might be the card to cut as if the opponents are not familiar with banding (which lets face it is a majority of magic players) this can bog down the game (but not in a good way).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-30 2:04 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-30 2:36 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-30 3:31 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-30 5:59 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-31 12:59 am 

If you plan to attack with Zurgo whenever you get the chance, may be interesting too. And depending on how much mana you can spare, might be less costly than , with some nice extra features.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-31 2:04 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-31 2:53 am 

Looking good, looking good :)

That Obliterator was sooo sweeeet! I only realized the synergy a few minutes after you played it. And Simulacrum... FREAKING SIMULACRUM!!!

I think you should add . That would just be sweet, man. And how about ? That little guy sure can make a sacrificial lamb or two. Any token maker for that matter, but Kiki is special. is a nice brick wall to soak up some damage. Also, wants to be in here, maybe even . You know, prepare some redirection, turn on the protection and laugh. Same with , but that one's kinda costly. is also a nice token maker. Finally, you have Kor Chant, but no ?

Have you thought about effects? I mean, with most of your creatures being indestructible or protected in a different way, this could work towards making the effect of these cards one-sided.

As to what to cut, I've tried to make Mogg Maniac work in my Nin, but it just didn't work right, plus I'm not sure, but does it even work the way you want it to with the en-Kor creatures? I mean, their redirection abilities are one activation-one damage. It would seem to me that the first point of damage kills the goblin and the rest of the redirection abilities fizzles. Also, Soul of New Phyrexia never worked for me. I just don't have that kind of free mana in my decks...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-31 3:50 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-31 4:11 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-31 4:29 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-31 5:48 am