[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MTG Commander/Elder Dragon Highlander • View topic - Lorthos, the Tidemaker (Cthulhu themed)

Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2020-Jan-19 1:55 am

Post subject: Lorthos, the Tidemaker (Cthulhu themed)
AgePosted: 2014-May-30 9:52 am 

Ok, so it's not really Cthulhu, but I needed to come up with something for Worship Week over at PureMTGO.com, and I thought that building around everyone's favorite elder god would be interesting.

Commander

Creatures (17)

Artifacts (18)

Enchantments (4)

Instants (13)

Planeswalkers (2)

Sorceries (6)

Lands (39)

So basically big scary tentacle monsters, with some land based tentacle monsters thrown in. Originally I wanted to add goofy stuff like and , but there was no way that I could make that competitive. Still, with modern power creep I did manage to find some undersea creatures that fit the bill.

After that it was a matter of cramming the deck with as much ramp as possible, plus some counterspells to protect my dudes. The deck is honestly a little light on card draw, but I guess you can take out for .

So sometimes you can ramp out into a back breaking fattie early and just crush people, and other times you sit there twiddling your thumbs as people ping away at you and you wait for that 8th source of mana to do anything. But the deck was fun to play.

For more on the deck, as well as the process behind putting it together, plus videos of game play, go here: http://puremtgo.com/articles/conqueror- ... ix-cthulhu

Comments or suggestions, let me know!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Lorthos, the Tidemaker (Cthulhu themed)
AgePosted: 2014-May-30 12:37 pm 

Burnished Hart? Not even close to theme. I would suggest instead. ( Very good with the Crucible which you are already running ) Also, I noticed that you didn't have in there.. huge card draw and kinda on theme.

You might want to add as well.. I also recommend in a mono blue deck with lots of high casting cost guys, a card I just started using.. very fun, and can win you games... Very usefull to prevent creature theft, stopping targeted removal and keeping your general from getting tucked... plus, lots of dudes!

Not sure how on theme it is, but with this color, and all the ramp, you could easily play , for some untap ramp bounce action..

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-30 1:16 pm 

You're right, isn't on theme. But it's really good for the deck. I didn't want to be a slave to the theme so it made the cut. was in my initial build too. However, Crucible is really hard to tutor for, and I wanted to get rid of as many of the land sacrifice cards as I could. But he would be better for the theme than Hart like you say.

I initially had Jin-Gitaxias in the deck actually. Although he's not a tentacle monster per se he certainly is on theme with the "shock and awe" factor. Unfortunately I had to cut it because of mana concerns. I'm sure you could cut one of the lesser Krakens for him though, like ?

I do like the though! That's a great find. I'll have to figure out how to fit that in.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-31 5:35 am 

is a favorite of mine in mono-Blue, because more often than not you'll have a lot of single creature types on your creatures. It is a little mana-intensive, but naming virtually any creature type other than Kraken will tutor up only a single creature in your deck (Leviathan has two targets, but Stormtide and Inkwell will probably always be welcome).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-31 10:14 am 

Glint-Eye Nephilim (combat tricks, card draw, & creature pump)
Oloro Upkeep Tribal (enchantment-based control)
and more:Decklists

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-31 11:40 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-31 12:44 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-01 4:49 pm 

I think it might be a crime to have a deck that is even loosely Cthulhu themed and not include . Other than that it seems like you've got the tentacled horrors pretty well wrapped up.

I feel like you could have a few more things dealing with insanity and ominous portents to flesh it out. Unfortunately blue's madness cards are lacking. Thematically, though, , , , , and jump out as solid includes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-02 6:14 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-02 7:47 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-02 12:23 pm 

Offline Profile