[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MTG Commander/Elder Dragon Highlander • View topic - Solid Green Devotion: Polukranos

Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2020-Jan-17 3:56 pm

Post subject: Solid Green Devotion: Polukranos
AgePosted: 2014-May-18 12:48 pm 

This isn't your mono green devotion deck--I really like how "mono" and "mama's" in that line is nearly interchangeable. In other news, I'm being truthful: this deck is dedicated to mono-green. In fact, so dedicated there isn't any artifacts--it goes much further than this:

Deckbuilding Rule: if a non-land card has its converted mana cost equal to 1, then its mana cost must include {G}. If a non-land card has converted mana cost greater than 1, then its mana cost must include {G}{G}.

I really like following obscure rules and making it a challenge to produce at least a decent deck. This one actually has turned out rather well. I still play in casual settings, so I'm not looking to create a deck to win "tournaments."

Commander:

Planeswalkers: 3

Creatures: 37

Enchantments: 12

Instants: 3

Sorceries: 6

Lands: 38

28 x Forest

By the way, + = awesome. I got this out in one of the test games below, and it worked out really well. This combination also works pretty well with Master of the Wild Hunt. I wanted to point this combination out specifically, because Essence of the Wild is such a weird card.

Other cards I currently have that I am considering:
: I don't know yet if I need another removal spell.
: Because flying creatures are a hassle for this deck. is also a possibility, but this one is more obscure.
: because staples exist.
: I had this in originally, but took it out for Wildheart Invoker. I really like hydras in this deck for whatever reason.
: I think this is going to replace the Nessian hydra if I have a spare Jugan.

Other cards I'd consider in a perfect world:
: cheap card I don't own, but seems possibly really good.
: Reprinting this in Conspiracy, so seems like I might have one to play around with.
: I don't have one available currently, unfortunately, but Yavimaya Dryad has been doing well so far by getting the land immediately.
: There's so many decks I own which need this card, but I just don't want to spend the money right now.
: yay for cards which break the color pie!
: I don't own one...sadly... :(

Last edited by Segrus on 2015-Aug-18 9:47 am, edited 10 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Solid Green Devotion: Polukranos
AgePosted: 2014-May-18 7:19 pm 

I've been playing Seton devo-green... I like it quite a bit... sucks that you don't have Khalni Hydra...

I'm playing a bunch of stuff that's probably not optimal, but still a lot of fun. Like . I want to try Aspect of Hydra too; I'm pretty sure noone will see a Commander KO coming off Seton and an untapped forest :)

I'm also running a bunch more token producers than you are. and have both been really good.

(Your deck doesn't really have anything bad looking; just a few things I've been doin' different...)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-18 10:44 pm 

i played against this bad ass deck and it was a bloody close game, I look forward to having more games against it and see how it rolls. Just noticed a lack of in your list and possibly , these are some of my go to cards that I would play in a mono green deck, and all of them hit your rules too, its a shame misses your rules though!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-18 11:49 pm 

For dealing with flying you could try or

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-19 1:33 am 

Considered ?

, & , have to go well with ...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-19 5:08 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-19 5:52 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-19 6:29 am 

Well, is an insidious card.

Few are played anywhere, so it sort of slips under the radar. In a meta with bombs landing every turn, it still doesn't register as a massive threat. Yet it has a decent body, and can block such irritants as 4/4 beasts. And every fricking turn it eats an artifact. It's surprisingly effective: No one feels it is a big enough threat to eat spot, yet everyone keeps hoping that someone else is going to do something about it. I'm always sufficiently horrified when I see it appear to curse myself for not adding it more often.

I guess it does sort of depend on how common playing artifacts is in your meta.

BTW I admit to having a soft spot for the and ... But your reasoning makes perfect sense to me. I'm just glad to see .

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-19 6:39 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-19 6:58 am 

ok, i read your detailed replies, much props for that! I think the main aspect to be discussed is tokens. And I agree with your only limited inclusion of tokens for a few reasons. I have a Rith token deck that started off as 5 colour werewolf and wolf so I have worked on a lot of token decks and iterations. I found that without serious supported from enchantments and recursion of them (almost exclusively white) you just can't go hard enough at your opponents. I also found that due to the CMC I needed a lot of mana and therefore enchantment mana doublers to play expensive but quality token producers, planeswalkers and support artifacts and enchantments.

I also love the feel of a poper mono green beat down deck that uses beasts, wurms and other large green baddies! I think its the definitive green thing, not even ramp, just green big mutha fuckas that smack you until you are dead. So I love the flavour as it is. That said I agree that Wolfbriar Elemental is an absolute house, with or without token support, late game its like a built zombie army of the damned without the tapped restriction and therefore arguably much better/useful even without the flasback and more expensive cost to cast.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-19 7:00 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-19 7:27 am 

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-19 7:39 am 

Last edited by Segrus on 2014-May-19 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-19 8:28 am 

for anti-aircraft...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-19 9:25 am 

Offline Profile