[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MTG Commander/Elder Dragon Highlander • View topic - Why? Gifts Ungiven

Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2020-Jan-17 6:53 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Why? Gifts Ungiven
AgePosted: 2014-Mar-06 4:47 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-06 4:59 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-06 7:53 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-06 8:34 pm 

This card doesn't need any more testing. There is only one fair way to play it and it is called . Anything beyond that, no matter how fair you think it might be, takes an interesting game and makes it uninteresting. You get 4 cards, for 4 mana, at instant speed, from your 100 card singleton deck that you need. Question: How is that fun! Answer: What is you only need lands?

How else are you remotely playing this in a fair way and not just oops I win and not on purpose? I love the card, but not in this format. How hard is that to get?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-06 8:50 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-06 9:01 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-06 9:14 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-06 9:38 pm 

Yeah, I'm not sure tournament play should count.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-06 11:12 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-07 6:01 am 

The example does count if it's indicative of the play group environments, which it is in every case I could find there (and believe me, I tried to find a group--I didn't play EDH for a very long time because I wouldn't accept these combo/counterspell heavy groups). Kaalia is a combo deck in the same way Reanimator is a combo deck (mana, mana, do something, big creature into play), since this Kaalia deck was built to be attacking with Kaalia on turn three and four at the latest.

I'll have more about Edric and Nin at a later time, once I get done asking at least one of the players to respond on Facebook.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-07 8:33 am 

Hmmm... Kaalia combo running gifts? I don't think that combo is gone, but that the traditional combos have been given up for more diversity. I think the only old-skool combo I see is niv mizzet, and I think that's because wizards went back to ravnica. Combo will never be gone in a format with a vintage car pool a multiple opponents.

In a more diverse setting will gifts turn all the blue decks into gifts.dec? I dunno. Probably. But it might be worth trying it out.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-07 8:58 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-07 9:04 am 

Powerhouse cards? That's fine, maybe a little annoying. Cheap Insta-win combo... That's what we're worried about.

Edit: I know I would put it in every one of my blue decks to nab powerhouse cards. Would it become the focus of my decks? Maybe in a few. Would it be used to be a reactive control card? Yup. Would it be used to set up reveillark reanimations? In the one deck yup. I can't say how much I would change my decks to accommodate and I can't say how I would play out every game without some testing.

Last edited by niheloim on 2014-Mar-07 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-07 9:06 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-07 9:13 am 

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next