[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MTG Commander/Elder Dragon Highlander • View topic - Tinker?

Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2020-Jan-19 4:41 am

Post subject: Tinker?
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-23 7:32 am 

So I understand that there are two camps on the issue of Tinker in EDH.
The first group is ignoring the banning, and saying that it was unwarranted.
The second group is all cheers and happiness at the departure of an 'unfun' card.
I personally belong to the first camp, with my feelings that the banning was unnecessary.

My question is therefore directed at the people who are happy with Tinker's banning.
What have you seen this card do that was so terrible?

Personally, I have never seen this card do anything unanswerable, or excessively broken. The cards that everyone seems to bring up are Sundering Titan, Mindslaver, Darksteel Colossus, Darksteel Forge, and Magister Sphinx. These cards can be a pain in the ass, yes, but what's the worst they can do?

Titan is a topic in and of itself, but I feel it is more of an issue of people being lazy when building their manabases.
Mindslaver is just plain bad in multiplayer, and easily answerable.
Colossus is just a fatty, and in multiplayer, everyone can just gang up on the guy until they're dead.
Forge can be difficult when things like Lattice and Obliterate/Disk are involved, but that requires more big spells, so getting it out early is a bit of a liability when people know your plan, therefore Tinker might not be the best choice for getting it into play. Also, Return to Dust is your friend.
Sphinx will knock one player down to 10. But who doesn't have creature kill in their deck? 1v1 it ends the game soon, but again, in multiplayer it takes even more cards to be effective.

What have you seen that hurts so much?
What plays made this card deserve to be banned?

Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed; Wort, Boggart Auntie; Jhoira of the Ghitu; Multani, Maro-Sorcerer; Rafiq of the Many; Heartless Hidetsugu; Wort, the Raidmother; Braids, Cabal Minion; Vendillion Clique; Captain Sisay;

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-23 7:44 am 

I really really really dislike the banning of Tinker. I can understand the arguments (turn 2-3 DSC/ST can be devastating), but i do not like the ban.

In my playgroup (mostly a threesome) 2 of us use tinker (i am one of them). The other guy uses tinker to get annoying things, but probably would never get a ST since he knows we'll nag about it so much he'll be forced to take out the Titan, plus he likes playing a cat and mouse game till he locks someone (really annoying to have someone have 2 5/5 fliers, you none, and him not attacking even though you're at 10 life).

I play Tinker usually to sack a mindstone or the like to get a Gilded Lotus/Doubling Cube.

In my eyes, Tinker is a wonderfull, really powerfull card that is as much part of EDH as Insurrection, Sol Ring or Decree of Anihilation

Teneb, the Harvester
Heartless Hidetsugu
Ob Nixilis, the Fallen
Reaper King
Ruhan of the Fomori
Hanna, Ship's Navigator
Ol
oro, Ageless Ascetic
Roon of the Hidden Realm
Nekusar, the Mindrazer

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-23 7:51 am 

well
tinker is a restrictive tutor which puts the card for free into play

and is therefor very strong early game.

in a few occasions its tinker for the 10 life critter....
and thats 30 life loss in turn 3...

the question never is, "how you aren't abusing tinker" but more on "how some ""can"" abuse tinker"

my 2c...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-23 8:29 am 

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-23 10:20 am 

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-23 10:26 am 

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-23 11:24 am 

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-23 11:24 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-23 5:37 pm 

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-23 10:19 pm 

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-23 11:08 pm 

Current Generals

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Trevor said...
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-24 4:15 am 

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-24 7:16 am 

What I meant by immune to their own removal was if you were holding a bunch of creature removal but didn't have creatures of your own in play. The advantage to a multiplayer format and using mindslaver is, unlike in one on one, you'll usually have another opponent on which to use your mindslavered target's creature removal. Thus, he was immune to his own removal spells, but someone else wasn't.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-24 7:34 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-24 10:26 am 

Offline Profile