[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MTG Commander/Elder Dragon Highlander • View topic - Progenitus--Parade Floats

Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2020-Jan-18 6:07 am

Post subject: Progenitus--Parade Floats
AgePosted: 2013-Mar-06 10:22 am 

Five-color "Parade Floats" deck. The basic idea is big/big creatures thrown onto the battlefield on the cheap. At the moment...I think it's a little too 'good' stuff. Any good suggestions which won't make the deck too weak? Maybe find some large creatures who group hug?

Commander:

Creatures:

Planeswalkers:

Artifacts:

Enchantments:

Instants:

Sorceries:

Lands:

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Progenitus--Parade Floats
AgePosted: 2013-Mar-07 3:09 am 

I would say it needs more card draw.
I have had pretty good luck with and . They are both fairly large creatures. is fun too.
There are tons of other options tho since you have all 5 colors.

I've never had any luck with . I never had it and more than 1 land in hand so it's not very reliable.
And I just don't see working out very well in this deck, I really only see it being awesome when you have tokens.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Mar-07 3:27 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Mar-07 4:05 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Mar-07 4:37 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Apr-24 12:51 am 

Played this deck last night against a decent deck and someone playing an updated version of their deck. It turned out pretty good: I was suddenly far behind because I had used and to search up (which I thought meant I would be getting to beat down other players), and suddenly appeared as a 100/100 and Thraxi made five copies of my Hellkite via . Crap.

Well, I had one choice: and hope for the best (despite having only 15 permanents, Thromok had 16, and Thrax had 17). Thromok got nothing good (got his wasted) and Thrax managed to land . On the other hand, I hit the jackpot: , , , (luck, I guess?), , and more than enough land. I ended up stealing a creature producer from Thromok so I would have something to sac next turn for Sheodred. Both of them pass without doing much of anything.

On my turn, I searched up and then cast due to the doubled mana. I already had in my hand, so I drew 10 cards with Zegana. All hell broke loose and I won with a ridiculous amount of fatties which no one had answers for.

Honestly, while Omniscience was incredibly powerful here, I'm actually more concerned about the Oath-Bringer combo being too good. Once I realized it was there (I threw a bunch of cards together and didn't think about it at the time), it's too easy to just search up these cards just so I can set up the very best draws every turn. I'm going to play the deck a couple more times before I decide whether to take one-half of the combo out.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Aug-02 1:35 am 

So I had some inspiration on what to do with this deck. The whole 'good stuff' angle is good, and it hasn't been so ridiculously powerful that it has no competition. I've had fun; however, I really want to get the theme this deck should really have: parade floats. I really want this deck to be overhauled to feel more like huge, big creatures as parade floats. It started with finding a among one of the LGS 25/50 cent boxes, so my idea for this deck is simple: find cards which portray the parade float idea while the creatures in the deck reflect actual, real-life parade floats. My initial thought is to take the list of floats from last year's Macy's Day Parade. According to some website I can't remember any longer, the following floats were as follows:

Buzz Lightyear
Charlie Brown
Diary of a Wimpy Kid
The Elf on the Shelf (I keep thinking of , but they have very little correlations)
Hello Kitty (, , , ?)
Julius (, ?)
Kermit the Frog
Kung Fu Panda
Papa Smurf
Pikachu
Pillsbury Doughboy (I'd really think there's got to be some big, fat Orzhov card to go here, but and don't see like quite enough; maybe ?)
Ronald McDonald
Sailor Mickey
Sonic the Hedgehog
Spider-Man
SpongeBob SquarePants

Now, I thought I'd come up with a list initially before I posted on here, but man alive I've been having major mental blocks for creativity with this thing. Also, some of these balloon floats are going to be really rough finding something not only creative, but also relevant. I want to get deep in theme here, but not so deep that I end up having a miserable time playing because I'm bringing a toy, foam sword to a gun fight. Any brilliant ideas?

EDIT: Parade floats or balloon floats--these are very closely related in my mind, so it's really just parade "stuff" ideas in general that I'm after.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Aug-02 6:54 am 

Awesome, floats as cards. If you really grow to like it you could get them altered too. It is hard tho with such iconic characters. Here are my first instinct, I'll put more thought into it tho and try to fill in some suggestions for the blanks.

Buzz Lightyear
Charlie Brown
Diary of a Wimpy Kid
The Elf on the Shelf
Hello Kitty- I like here
Julius -, I guess either one...
Kermit the Frog- I think fits better here but still doesn't seem perfect
Kung Fu Panda
Papa Smurf
Pikachu- is fast and can attack directly with a "lightning bolt" which is probably as close as you would get...
Pillsbury Doughboy- I like here, does look like it could be in a parade tho...
Ronald McDonald
Sailor Mickey- for some reason I just think of
Sonic the Hedgehog - has to be something fast so that means haste. Only thing faster than haste is lol. But that is an Uncard and doesn't feel like a big float.
Spider-Man - is the only spider I can think of with an actual web- , seems to fit too if you don't have too many fliers
SpongeBob SquarePants

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Aug-02 6:59 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Aug-05 12:40 am 

Thank you very much for the response, Whiteweasel. It's helped give me some ideas.

Buzz Lightyear - All I can think of at the moment for this slot is either or .
Charlie Brown
Diary of a Wimpy Kid - : I honestly don't know anything about Diary of a Wimpy Kid, but it looked like it might be fitting or at least ironic.
The Elf on the Shelf
Hello Kitty - : I really wish this could be a more proactive/defensive card, because Spirit is so easy to kill and barely impacts the board...maybe still works? Grr...
Julius - ,
Kermit the Frog -
Kung Fu Panda
Papa Smurf - : not a big creature, but I'm beginning to realize I'm not going to be able to make this deck have big creatures pretty much--except for whatever "other" cards I put into the deck.
Pikachu - ? I know the card isn't technically "electric," but it does have this nice 'don't touch me' kind of thing going for it...I think might be acceptable though.
Pillsbury Doughboy - : this card does seem to fit the bill here.
Ronald McDonald - although Hamletback Goliath would work here very nicely; hrm...?
Sailor Mickey-
Sonic the Hedgehog - : I believe this works better here than for Pikachu, although it's very close to both of them.
Spider-Man - : seems like a valid fit without having to replace every creature in my deck.
SpongeBob SquarePants

Other 'parade' creatures/cards:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-20 7:49 am 

It's been so long since I've messed with this deck, but after playing it last night it's become obvious it needs help. Lots of help. As you can see above, I had been meaning to try getting back on theme with this deck, but without any real prospect of a game I stopped even looking at it. I'm so far removed from the deck list, I'm going to just repost it in this one, and attempt to make changes.

Commander:

Creatures: 27

Enchantments: 8

Artifacts: 6

Instants: 7

Sorceries: 14

Lands: 37

This is the current decklist. Yes, there's...no basic land. It's a crime somewhere, I'm sure of it. It's also kinda nice and risky-feeling. So I think I'll replace only a couple of them with probably Forests or something so I can still make green in case some smart alec runs . My next step is to bump Lurking Predators for (once I find the blasted card again, stupid move messing up card locations and grr...). I think might do well with the theme, but I don't think it would do very well in the deck.

I think my plan with this deck is going to move away from actually trying to correlate cards with Macy's Day Parade floats. It just doesn't seem like it would work very well, and makes me feel like the deck is taking a wrong direction. So, I'd really like to ask YOU--anyone out there caring enough to still read about this ridiculous deck--to give me suggestions about big, huge, ginormous creatures you'd like to see as a float. No, seriously, if you could run the Magic the Gathering EDH Parade, what would you make as a float? I'm going to post this idea to the Random Chatter forum and see if I don't have any luck there.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-20 8:20 am 

Hi! After seeing this in action and your list, I'd say you need more creatures for cards like Lurking Predators and Animal Magnetism. And certainly some more ramp.

You may want to take a look at my Child of Alara deck (http://mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15942). I know it's a different strategy, but IMO some cards would do you well. For example, I often semi-joke that is the best card of that deck and I'm very surprised you don't play it. You may also consider playing one of each basic land and a toolkit of and . In our game, it took you very long to actually do something relevant - a problem I came across with the Child as well. I solved it by including a few little creatures that can speed things up while chumping during the early game. Wood Elves, , STE, Sad Simulacrum, , , , . is also great for mana fixing.

Hope this helps! I'll try to come back later and suggest what to cut (which, as we're all painfully aware, is the hard part :D ).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-20 8:34 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-20 1:24 pm 

I think you'd be insane to cut LPreds, and even more so to replace it with Mercadian Lift. If your problem is doing something relevant sooner, the lift will not help you there. Maybe ? s aside, it's far more consistent, even if it's more mana intensive.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-20 1:35 pm 

Offline Profile