[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MTG Commander/Elder Dragon Highlander • View topic - Damia, Cards Galore - Needs Tweaking

Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2020-Jan-19 1:20 pm

Post subject: Damia, Cards Galore - Needs Tweaking
AgePosted: 2011-Sep-11 9:11 am 

When the Commander decks came out a in June, I saw and knew I wanted to make a deck with her, so a few weeks ago, I did just that. The list was pretty much just a large number of random cards thrown together that I figured might be at least good. To my surprise, the synergy in the deck is astounding, to say the least.

But despite that, the deck needs tweaking. Right now the only real win conditions are getting out tons of creatures or pulling out or and hoping I can pull off a crazy amount of draw power. I won once by using to grab an opponent's getting back turn after turn, but there's not really much here in terms of actual comboing.

I'm not really looking to drop a ton of cash into the deck, but rather just enough to give it a bit of focus. Any help would be appreciated.

General:

Creatures:

Planeswalkers:

Artifacts

Enchantments

Instants/Sorceries

Land:

8 Forest
7 Island
7 Swamp

- Karona Theme Deck: She's a Babe! Schwing! (2 Builds)
- Sharuum: First Encounter
- Zedruu, Target Painter

Last edited by Sephiroth912 on 2011-Dec-22 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Damia, Cards Galore - Needs Tweaking
AgePosted: 2011-Sep-11 1:27 pm 

If you can get one, I'd say switch out rite of flourising for an . With Damia out you only get an extra land a turn while they get more cards. With Azusa, you get twice the benifit and they get none of the benefits. Even having a or a might be better for you.

gives you double the upkeeps and double the refills. It makes masticore worse if you don't have Damia, but it makes Damia a little better if you have masicore.

makes life easier by letting you play things when you're sure it's safe. Or bewteen upkeeps, for even more cards.

works for everyone, but not everyone will be filing their hand to 7 each turn. You're almost guaranteed to get more use out of it. I ran it in a Niv-Mizzet deck, and I was happy to see it every time. Alternatively, you could run .

seems necessary here. Especially if you go with paradox have.

I think you could lose Chainer. Too black mana intensive, and you've already got Geth.

Nirkana Cutthroat is just bad. Edh doesn't care about a 3-power vanilia creature for 3. At 6 mana, you be better served by /// for deathtouch, as power doesn't matter, and anything big enough to need deathtouch will wreck 3 toughness as much as it will 2 or 1 toughness. At 12 mana, you can do better, or you're stalled out at three lands.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-11 1:54 pm 

- Zedruu, Target Painter

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-11 10:42 pm 

There are a couple of card choices that I think could be improved. I'll try to pick them all out. I also have my own Damia deck and I'll try and suggest some stuff.

Also let us know if you want your deck more focused on multiplayer or 1v1.

Boomerang is okay. but is almost always better. Since you have black why not
Mana Leak is weak late game. replace it with another hard counterspell. For Damia I really like .
I would replace Rampant Growth with more land is more better.
I think sign in blood is a bad idea. its double black and you pay two life. You have blue card draw available, find something there. I would run over sign in blood. On that note, I also think you could replace Vision Skeins.

Underworld Dreams seems weak when an opponent starts at 40 life.
Having had Wild Mongrel in my own original list, I have to say I have never been happy when I drew him. You might think he is great cause you can make him huge with Damia out, but he is pretty boring without her. (Even with her he doesn't do much.)

I'd like to 2nd that Nirkana Cutthroat is just bad. There are many better options. I wouldn't even play Vampire Nighthawk. He is too small and too weak.

Jace's Archivist seems like you are just gonna end up helping your opponent get cards. Explain him, cause I don't get it.

So here are a few cards in my list that really shine for me.

Any of the titans in M11 or 12.
are all helpful to control the board.
and are both really good and pre release cards so they shouldn't be too hard to find and trade for.

and/or
Best Damia elf there is!
is really good. I do think has gone up in price though.
can kill just about anything. This is a staple green card in my opinion.

With Damia out you skip that extra draw but the Overbeing of Myth is gonna be a big beater and its card advantage while Damia isn't out.

<---another green staple.
Way fun EDH card. He also works with Windfall and Jace's archivist if you want to keep those guys in. If you do, consider adding

is great. lots of versatility.

This is great when you bounce a real big creature of your opponents. However is can also work well with creatures like and

This last set of cards are pricier, but others might be willing to drop some money or trade or just happen to have these.

is in one of the commander decks.
this guy is AWESOME! 6/6 for 5 that regens and can change colors!

This card isn't a lot of money but it might be harder to find.
I love this thing. leave a mana open and birthing pod it into play, they'll never see it coming.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-12 2:00 am 

- Abusing counters for fun and profit

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-12 3:53 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-12 7:17 am 

- Zedruu, Target Painter

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-12 7:28 am 

Needs:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Nov-12 12:08 pm 

Swapped around a few cards:

-
-
-
-

+
+
+
+

- Zedruu, Target Painter

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Dec-22 8:16 pm 

Made some much heavier changes this time around. Deck's getting a little bit nastier, I think. Any suggestions still more than welcome.

+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

- Zedruu, Target Painter

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Dec-22 10:11 pm 

Just made a Damia deck last night. Here are some cards I own that I thought would work great with her (not on your list currently):

makes your opponents skip a phase and since you are already skipping draw step, it's a win (for you) lose (for them).

and really speed up your card advantage.

and for land advantage (I'm assuming Damia reaches threshold rather quickly).

, , , and for fatties.

for live advantage.

to kill them non-evil critters.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Dec-23 5:22 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Dec-23 10:24 am 

- Zedruu, Target Painter

Offline Profile