[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MTG Commander/Elder Dragon Highlander • View topic - Nekusar - LIFE GAIN

Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2020-Jan-19 1:53 am

Post subject: Nekusar - LIFE GAIN
AgePosted: 2013-Nov-26 3:19 am 

Okay, so the only one of the C13 decks I have yet to put any work into fixing up is the Grixis one. I've bought two copies because I need TNNs, Strixes, and Decree of Pains for other decks or just to have because I'm a miserable addict.

Anyway, in playing the deck, I've determined that, like 1,000,000 other people out there, I'm more drawn to Nekusar. And even though literally every human being on the planet has already said "herp derp play ALL THE WHEELS" and the deck is super obvious and even I'm already rolling my damned eyes in boredom just typing this...

There is one problem. The deck already includes Spiteful Visions, and I also really, really want to include Phyrexian Tyranny because I traded for one a year or so back and have never used it. Trouble is, those two cards hurt ME for drawing cards, not just my opponents (like Underworld Dreams and Nekusar).

So what's the problem? Well, simply put, I don't want to commit suicide by casting a Time Spiral. Duh. The whole point of Magic is for everyone BUT me to die. Obviously, having some control elements in place will help, but I'm not going to be able to answer every threat and prevent every attack 100% of the time.

This means I need some life gain too. Now, one card - Venser's Journal - seems utterly perfect. It keeps our hands full (relevant because this deck is going to draw cards like a mofo) and gains us lots of life (relevant because we're going to be taking damage from our own spells sometimes).

Another card that seems great is Bloodchief Ascension, but I have quite a bit of experience with the card and it has already proved extremely unreliable and awkward. When it works it's great, but it just doesn't work a lot. I'll still probably include it, but it's not ideal.

So my question is, what are some other good options for lifegain. All I can think of at the moment is to convince my opponents to all play Horizon Chimera in all their decks so that I can Bribery or Clone them… but then all my opponents would HAVE Horizon Chimeras in all their decks, which kinda screws me over if they get to them first.

I know black has a lot of stuff like Exsanguinate or Kokusho. Solid cards, but lack synergy or purpose with the rest of the deck. I know there’s not likely to be another card quite as perfect as Venser’s Journal, but I am hoping there are a few more tech-y, synergistic or thematic options I’ve overlooked. I will put Kokopuffs in if I have to, but I’d rather it be something cooler than that.

Any idears, folks?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Nekusar - LIFE GAIN
AgePosted: 2013-Nov-26 3:37 am 
EDH Rules Committee

and/or , and saves you from Spiteful Visions. , Waste, or Wind lets you skip undesirable draws, and get value when you have too many cards already. does a similar thing.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-26 4:13 am 

Honestly, any source of lifelink on Nekusar should be fine... besides the cards BKM mentioned, is really good, and maybe you could run or Homicidal Seclusion. The whip obviously gets a lot better if you're running a decent number of creatures *it's not like you'll have trouble filling up your graveyard), or if you're not running many creatures, then Homicidal Seclusion should be pretty good (although I've only ever seen it in annoying Skithiryx decks).

And gets played a lot for a reason...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-26 4:39 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-26 5:07 am 

you might take it in a discard-for-value direction, if you're going to be wheeling all the time, you'll have stuff to discard, right?

discard for lifegain: .

discard for mana: , .

discard for dudes: .

discard for combo: .

discard for damage: .

Spellshaper tribal? I haven't seen that done before!

Glint-Eye Nephilim (combat tricks, card draw, & creature pump)
Oloro Upkeep Tribal (enchantment-based control)
and more:Decklists

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-26 5:25 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-26 5:44 am 

would do it, no? But I guess that goes AGAINST what you are trying to do...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-26 5:45 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-26 7:01 am 

So, what, no ?

Well, if you want to load up on creatures or sweepers, and can gain surprisingly decent amounts of life, and is also in that vein. is surprisingly decent, and I've seen some players put it to pretty good use. Same for . can be run as a mana rock and get you life on the side. seems like it definitely accomodates to the kind of strategy you are trying to push. , , and are all winners.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-26 8:54 am 

Sangromancer and Ivory Tower are clear winners. The rest I don't like for one reason or another.

Exsanguinate I specifically called out as functional but boring and I'm trying to avoid it at all costs. Grey Merchant is out for same reason, PLUS there's no way this deck will have a very high Devotion count.

But those first two are spot-on. Thanks!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-26 4:38 pm 

Suicide is black's thing... What's the problem if you're taking 1-2 per draw when they're taking 3-4 per draw? You'll still be ahead of the curve. Including anything just to counteract the burn isn't really going to strengthen your deck, it will just slow it down and run the risk of making you lose more often. I'd be more concerned with counteracting the card advantage you're giving everyone.

Also, with Nekusar, Bloodchief Ascension should be active in a single turn cylce since it does 2 damage to everyone in their draw phase... It will either run away with the game or burn some removal making your other more costly enchantments harder to remove.

I picked up the precon but I technically can't open it til Christmas but I've got some fun plans for a nekusar deck that will probably be a fair bit different from all the "play all the wheels" shells.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-27 2:35 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-30 1:03 pm 

not really on topic but how about ? if you are playing with creatures you plan on reanimating, like perhaps zombies, it dosent really matter if they go to the yard.

on topic, you may want to run the extort cards that are black. in a creature heavy deck, will let you gain a good amount of life per spell.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-02 3:05 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-02 7:16 am 

More off topic, I'm starting to see more Nekusar decks. It is starting to get a little tiring to see the same "ALL WHEELS" shell.

Offline Profile