[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MTG Commander/Elder Dragon Highlander • View topic - What to ban/unban next?

Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2020-Jan-18 11:56 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: What to ban/unban next?
AgePosted: 2012-Sep-24 9:03 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-24 10:02 am 

Last edited by Kemev on 2012-Sep-24 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-24 10:08 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-24 10:38 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-24 11:16 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-24 11:17 am 

- Abusing counters for fun and profit

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-24 4:54 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-25 2:32 am 

No to no tutors

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-25 3:06 am 
EDH Rules Committee

While I personally wouldn't mind playing "Mindlock Orb" EDH, it's simply not viable for the format. The list of Banned cards would be insanely long--and then comes the question of "What's actually a Tutor?" If it's anything that gets a card out of your deck? If it's anything that gets a non-land card out of your deck? If it's anything that puts it in your hand/in play and not the other? It gets pretty squicky pretty fast. It would also significantly over-value draw effects. The lesson here is that you can't do anything in a vacuum. Throwing a stone in a pond doesn't just sink the stone to the bottom, it also causes ripples.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-25 5:55 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-25 6:18 am 

I know banning all tutors is logistically impossible format-wide. I just think combos get a bad name because people are in denial about the real problem.

I also think Surival is the most egregious of the tutors left in the format, and that banning just that one card would make a noticeable difference.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-25 10:32 am 

Most famous article: Breaking Phage

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/misc ... Phage.html

Personal Favorite: pWN3D: Recollections of Spectacular Defeats in Multiplayer Magic

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/mult ... Magic.html

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-25 12:24 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-25 12:44 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-25 3:07 pm 

I don't think Survival needs banned, the issue is with tutors that put cards onto the battlefield and cost 8 or less. Those are the ones that don't allow for interaction or a lot of interaction.

- this card has got to be one of the most busted cards out there, the worst is that it gets the for your or your . Should it be banned? I don't think so, while it is a powerful card I don't think that it is above the power curve. It should be on the watch list.

- this is probably on the lower end of busted but has some really potential combinations with it. I've seen it go for , and then the Token grab allowing for a turn 6 win. You need 1 more creature out there, but then when it untaps you get another token throw , etc. but it does allow for infinite combat stages. Should it be banned? No.

- Same as above but usually that creature will suicide and get which opens up all sorts of buckets of pain. A turn 6 infinite combo win. Should it be banned? Nope.

- Here we are getting to one of the more busted cards out there, instant speed and gets a creature and puts it into play. There are tons of infinite combos revolving around creatures but this only gets 1 of them and is most likely to cost more than 8. It shouldn't be banned.

- Unless someone wraths or has a destroy enchantment this will most likely go off on turn 5 allowing for one of the many 2 creature infinite combos out there. and any of the untap guys since there are like 7 that he combos with. Mike and Trike, etc. This is a card that should be watched. It doesn't get abused so it isn't format warping but if it catches on it'll be one of the better ones out there. Furthermore, there is a condition that has to be met for the card to trigger making it less reliable.

- Same as Chord of Calling but it only gets green and is sorcery speed. I don't think it's bannable.

- Goes infinite with a number of cards but does that make it bannable? No cause the cost is really high and artifact hate, especially artifact creature hate is really easy to obtain.

- Can go infinite with a lot of the but like the Forgemaster the cost is high (also a benefit for the combo), it isn't format warping it is semi-busted but doesn't really get played much.

- This card gets a lot of play but its' eh. Yeah you tricked an Eldrazi into play on turn 4, that is why Emrakul is banned. I don't think this card should be banned at all.

- A repeatable tutor for equipment, some of which may be living. No haste, so I don't see this as a uber deadly card. Not bannable.

- Here is a card I personally think is great, combos off with a lot of stuff (what's better than sacing a to get allowing you to pull another creature which will most likely be something like . Is it busted beyond control and needs banned? Nope

- See Green Sun and Chord of Calling.

- I like this card, it is a 6 cost enchantment and on turn 7 should be able to go infinite but that doesn't mean that it will. I don't see this as a bannable card.

- Now here is an interesting situation. If turn 3 you can pop out a , , etc. and then on turn 4 swing with this guy getting an you have an infinite combo that doesn't do anything until the next turn. Granted there are all sorts of things you can do with this guy to make tons of infinite combos and win on turn 5, , etc. is he broken beyond repair? Nope, I don't think he should even be banned as a commander.

---

So those are IMO the most powerful tutors (unless we talk about Graveyard Recursion which I consider another type of tutoring) and I don't think any of them need banned. I think there are some that we should watch out for, but nothing that is absurdly busted as .

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next