[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MTG Commander/Elder Dragon Highlander • View topic - What to ban/unban next?

Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2020-Jan-18 11:56 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: What to ban/unban next?
AgePosted: 2012-Sep-22 12:49 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-22 2:44 pm 

Alesha, She who Smiles at Death.....Atraxa, Praetors' Voice.....Eight-and-a-Half-Tails.....Gonti, Lord of Luxury.....Karametra, God of Harvests.....Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker.....Kozilek, the Great Distortion.....Prime Speaker Zegana.....Rubinia Soulsinger.....Thrasios, Triton Hero + Vial Smasher the Fierce

My general commander philosophy: Using your opponent's degenerate cards against them is far more satisfying than playing degenerate cards yourself.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-23 12:59 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-23 1:21 am 

All the banned cards used "fairly" can be awesome and fun. Hell, is totally fine as long as you don't play combos, rituals, or drain life effects. But out here in the real world, people do use combo enablers to enable combos.

Painter's Servant's ONLY use is for combos. Why do you talk down to combo players and then ask for this - of all cards - to come off the ban list?

Protean Hulk is a one card combo. To some extent I agree that people who use him as a 1 card combo can be put into the "unfair spike" category that the RC tends not to worry about. On the other hand, I think Hulk also has both the potential and probability to turn innocent green decks into 1 card combo decks are people start resolving its ability and realize how much cooler stuff they could be doing.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-23 1:36 am 

Cards for the ban hammer:

- Mikaeus: Tooth and nail is Mr. Dicks gamewin, thanks to him.

- Contamination: Plain unfun and non interactive. Yawn.

- Time Stretch : Banned everywhere else for good reasons. Endless turns are unfun and non interactive.

- Kiki-Jiki : It's degenerate combo time.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-23 2:02 am 

double post :facepalm: :facepalm:

- cEDH discard/attrition.
Pre-Modern:
A .
Duel Commander:
- Ramp ramp ramp into Ugin+Painter's Servant.
- Unbridled Aggro

Find me Saturdays at the Wizard's Tower - Ottawa and occasional Mondays at Westboro Legion for Duel Commander.

Last edited by CrazyPierre on 2012-Sep-23 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-23 2:03 am 

To ban:

as a Commander.

Azusa's ability makes her obviate the Commander Tax the first time she dies and still be ahead by the other times it happens. Even ignoring this, your opponent will be two or more mana behind as soon as turn two, turn three at worst. Unlike Sol Ring or Mana Vault, Azusa continues to ramp you up, providing more and more lands until you reach an untenable gamestate (one or more Eldrazi, crippled opponent's mana base <Attacked via Acidid Slime, Waste/Strip>) and becomes even more absurd with Crucible of Worlds in the mix. When we talk about Commander base rules impacting things, rendering the tax inconsquential should be a starting point.

Pre-Modern:
A .
Duel Commander:
- Unbridled Aggro

Find me Saturdays at the Wizard's Tower - Ottawa and occasional Mondays at Westboro Legion for Duel Commander.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-23 2:15 am 

Pre-Modern:
A .
Duel Commander:
- Unbridled Aggro

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-23 2:47 am 

should be unbanned. Painter/ isn't a very good combo, and Painter/ is no more boring than the legal /.

- Abusing counters for fun and profit

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-23 3:00 am 

The only card that isn't on the ban list that I'd like to see added to it for quite a while is .

The card stops other people from playing. It's boring, and it's stupid. Back in September 2011, Erayo was banned as a commander because it was a card "whose sole purpose is to decrease interactivity" among other reasons. Yet, Iona does it without any of the hoops, albeit for one colour.

But, monocolour decks are a thing, especially for newer players who feel they cannot afford the mana bases to support more than one colour, or are starting things off slowly simply because they're new. It sucks to have to play Duplicant/Karn/Spine of Ish Sah/Brittle Effigy in every monocolour deck because the second someone gets a twinkle of Iona in their eye, you're probably totally wrecked. If there was a card left in EDH that simply said you were not allowed to play, Iona is it, and that's why she ought to be banned.

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-23 4:21 am 

Color Pie Project

White: Rune-Tail, Kitsune Ascendant
Blue: Braids, Conjurer Adept
Black: Anowon, the Ruin Sage
Red: Kumano, Master Yamabushi
Green: Omnath, Locus of Mana

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-23 6:07 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-23 6:55 am 

But those are combos, even if they aren't infinite. (Iona/Servant isn't infinite either!)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-23 6:56 am 

- Abusing counters for fun and profit

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-23 9:34 am 

I'd like to see a switcheroo where Painter's Servant gets unbanned, and Iona and Grindstone get banned, for pretty much the same reasons everyone else has mentioned. Painter's Servant seems pretty neat, and I think a lot of people would like to play with it. Iona's sort of miserable, and Grindstone doesn't really do anything, so I don't think a lot of players would miss them.

Anyone else getting frustrated with Kiki-Jiki?

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next