[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MTG Commander/Elder Dragon Highlander • View topic - Breya, Etherium Shaper (Post - War of the Spark)

Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2020-Jan-19 1:53 am

Post subject: Breya, Etherium Shaper (Post - War of the Spark)
AgePosted: 2019-May-19 6:15 am 

Commander - (1)

Creatures - (12)

Instants - (10)

Sorceries - (9)

Artifacts - (32)

Enchantments - (3)

Planeswalkers - (5)

Lands - (28)
2 Plains
2 Island
2 Swamp
2 Mountain

One of my friends wanted to rebuild given some recent support in War of the Spark. As you already know the deck strategy is to get off infinite combos with to win the game through sac outlets. The original build I had for this contained a lot of expensive cards such as , , and so I swapped them out for budget alternatives with , , and .

Now I know what you're probably thinking, why am I running without ? Well for starters I don't like winning the game that way and two I feel that there's much better Planeswalker alternatives that are a bit cheaper to utilize around. I might put Karn in here though I'd probably need to take out and he's just too good in here to take out IMO. Should be able to pick up more cards for this deck soon.

Any comments, suggestions, and/or advice is greatly appreciated.

"Stax is the hero we need but don't deserve. Too many people just play dumb stuff and often games devolve into "who does their dumb stuff first". People essentially just goldfishing. Great social format you got here Sheldon." - illakunsaa

Last edited by Card Slinger J on 2019-Aug-04 5:40 am, edited 8 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Breya, Etherium Shaper (Post - War of the Spark)
AgePosted: 2019-May-19 8:13 am 

I don't really understand how this deck is supposed to work.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-19 1:11 pm 

"Stax is the hero we need but don't deserve. Too many people just play dumb stuff and often games devolve into "who does their dumb stuff first". People essentially just goldfishing. Great social format you got here Sheldon." - illakunsaa

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-20 12:54 pm 

This seems really ambitious. The deck's only working off 28 lands and pretty limited artifact mana... it looks like it'd be tough to assemble some of the combos, especially considering they're 3-4 card combos that need 6-8 mana to get started. It's extra especially tricky since Breya's the finisher for some of the combos, but a lot of the loops only generate colorless mana. So if you don't already have Breya in play, your combo doesn't do a whole lot.

For reference, I don't usually build decks with fewer than 32 lands (for elves/elf-ish decks), or 35 lands for combo decks running all of the A-list mana rocks.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-21 1:37 pm 

This is one of those decks that doesn't look good on paper but performs really well once you get the mana going for it. I've seen it in action a couple of times and it never seemed to have any mana issues despite the low land count though I see where you're coming from though. I would run the new Urza from Modern Horizons in here to help turn colorless mana into blue mana though I'd much rather wait til he goes down in price first since it's already $50 on Pre-Order.

Ideally you want to copy in case someone tries to disrupt an infinite combo with the actual card on the battlefield. I fear that rebuilding this deck might become more of a hassle due to all the recent price spikes in Modern Horizons and War of the Spark since the last time I checked the price for this deck it totaled up to $498.60. My Shadowborn Athreos deck in EDH / Commander is $10 cheaper than what this Breya deck is currently going for before the price spikes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-29 11:21 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Jun-04 6:01 am 

I'll let you know how the deck is once me and my friend do a few playtests. As far as the actual cards are concerned I'm about half way done. Though it's probably going to be a little while longer before the deck is fully complete. We were having a bit of trouble finding space for some new cards to add in though I think I already figured it out.

Offline Profile