[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MTG Commander/Elder Dragon Highlander • View topic - Queen Marchesa - World at War

Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2020-Jan-19 1:55 am

Post subject: Queen Marchesa - World at War
AgePosted: 2012-Mar-25 1:38 pm 

This is my take on Queen Marchesa.

The objective and idea of the list is to shake up those passive; sweeper heavy games which are often won by whoever hoards their resources the most and interacts the least.

The list aims to accomplish this by using and to keep the board interesting and full. These cards are almost exclusively used post creature sweep.

Of course a full board is almost as useless as a empty board if everyone sits around twiddling their thumbs. To ensure those passive players come out and play; the list runs some encouragement cards ala , and the all-mighty .

The risk of forcing anyone to come out and play though is that they make the wrong decision of coming out and only playing with you! For these people, we kindly run a solid set of cards that carry signs saying “go way, nothing fun to play with here” and/or “turn around, danger ahead”.

Here is the list:
40 lands, 9 Artifact Accel, 26 Creatures, 25 Spells

Sorted by card type & CMC:

Sorted by effect, broad type & CMC:
Commander:
(!empty($user->lang['IMAGE'])) ? $user->lang['IMAGE'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'IMAGE')))

Force attacks:

(assists above with tapping creatures)

Deflect attacks:

Finishers:

Recursion:

Draw:

Tutors:

Spot Removal:

Sweepers:

Anti-sweepers:

Graveyard hate:

Artifact Accel:

Lands:

Last edited by GoodbyeWorld on 2016-Aug-18 9:02 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Tariel, Reckoner of Souls - World at War (take 2)
AgePosted: 2012-Mar-29 3:09 pm 

Why the "crappy" artifact accelerators and not the "better" ones, mana crypt, worn powerstone, thran dynamo and gilded lotus. There's nothing better than tapping out for a one of those and untapping with a gazillion mana especially with a general like tariel who costs a lot. Could easily lose the mirage diamonds for them (fire, charcoal and marble).

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Tariel, Reckoner of Souls - World at War (take 2)
AgePosted: 2012-Mar-29 10:41 pm 

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Tariel, Reckoner of Souls - World at War (take 3)
AgePosted: 2012-Jun-16 3:46 am 

Updated list!

Current thoughts:

's spot could be instead.

Necrotic Sliver is more recurable (Sun Titan, creature recursion) and it serves as a better 'rattlesnake' card.

Disadvantage is having to keep that 3 mana up to make use of it when required...

I also looked at as a semi mini . Similar rattlesnake effect and provided I have High Market out it's easier to manage.

What do people think of ? It's the kind of creature this list wants to run (you flat out do not want to attack into this guy). Can't find room for it yet and don't quite have it's measure.

I also want to fit in and ... is begging for Knighthood to join the party along with .

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-25 9:43 am 

Let's see if I can pick up any feedback again...

I know at minimum, I want to put in as a reanimate target. Especially off a EOT Twilight's Call.

I might cut for . I like the draw and the life gain it can provide and I am a bit bored of tutors...

I'm contemplating the spot. I'm never sure if it's doing what I want to do in the list. It's in to build tension on the table, but the doubling of my creatures power on defense doesn't mean much a lot of the time, outside of trading up.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Oct-07 2:33 am 

What's a World War without minefields like or ?

If you combine stuff like that with you'll be killing creatures every combat phase.

You'll be able protect your own creatures with or .

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Oct-07 8:09 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Dec-03 10:51 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Dec-03 11:36 am 

:D

These are some awesome suggestions... I have to piece through them.

Do and work together the way I think they do? If so... that is definitely the type of synergistic finisher I am looking for!

The only issue I have with is the darn Vigilance it gives... It encourages swinging, but only at the person with the least amount of board presence... Great way to get people to eliminate someone (good), but encourages picking on someone as well (not necessarily against, but makes me frown a little)...

I'll try out Kokopuffs as well... My worry though is, I can play responsibly, and not many people can steal and abuse it themselves... Kokopuffs guarantees my intent with that cards place in the list, but can't guarantee others... I'll probably just slot in instead.

Still thinking on the other suggestions...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Dec-03 11:44 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Dec-03 11:56 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Dec-06 2:43 pm 

?
?

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Queen Marchesa - World at War
AgePosted: 2016-Aug-18 8:56 pm 

This was my political list formally with as the Commander.

With the printing of Queen Marchesa, I have no excuse not to dust it off and give it the proper treatment it deserves. It was always a fun list waiting for Wizards to print the perfect and much needed Commander for it :D .

Easy start will cutting all the cards that functioned best with Tariel (eta, soon).

First question:

Is there any reason to run any additional Monarchy cards in this list at all? Marchesa starts the monarch game early and on her own. Past that, any additional monarch cards only serve as a non-combat way to gain the monarch token back. Our Commander is recastable and blinkable though, so getting it back without combat should be fairly easy anyway. Including more is sort of on flavour, but also not necessarily cohesive with Marchesa, who does benefit as well from not being the monarch.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Aug-18 9:11 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Aug-18 9:22 pm 

Offline Profile