[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MTG Commander/Elder Dragon Highlander • View topic - Thromok--Eat Your Heart Out

Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2020-Jan-17 3:55 pm

Post subject: Thromok--Eat Your Heart Out
AgePosted: 2014-May-31 9:52 pm 

At the promise made to maiden77, I'm posting this Thromok decklist. It's still a pretty casual list, but I've been having some trouble getting it to do more or less what I want.

Ideal Additions I'm Aware Of:
1. : the obtusely high price tag prevents me from buying four of these and calling it a day.
2. Garruks 1 & 2: I have so many decks which could probably use one or both of these, and obviously they are really good; however, reading suggestions about adding Garruks to every green deck in existence is beginning to encourage me to actively vomit. I know I'm guilty of it, and I'm making myself queasy. Ideally, this deck probably would do marginally better, but I don't think I'm at the point of splitting hairs.
3. Creature Tutors (any of , , , , ...): it would make the deck better, but I'm sticking to my "replace tutors with more threats" philosophy. There's a couple of creature tutors now, which should be enough for hitting problematic cards at the right time. This is one place I draw the line to keep the deck more casual.

Other Possible Additions:

(Pyreheart Wolf is taking this one's place currently, because Undying is really awesome)

--used to be in here to get big mana, but I don't think I currently have enough creatures to support it properly. Always a possibility though.

Last edited by Segrus on 2015-Apr-10 1:35 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Thromok--Eat Your Heart Out
AgePosted: 2014-May-31 10:23 pm 

I know you don't want a token deck per see, but Overrun style cards works both ways for your list... As Thromok is likely one shotting people, who cares if it costs 5 to give him trample...

Just throwing a few more cards out there.

already in
Ogre Battledriver
Yeva, Nature's Herald
Savage Summoning

Basically cards that work well semi wide + tall and cards that allow you to sneak a Thromok in unexpectedly.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-01 5:46 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-01 9:26 am 

I have a thromok deck too, one a little different (with a combo finish); but I agree that Thromok is basically a very hard deck to play & build because you have to perfectly balance the ramp, card draw, token makers, and token consumers.

Some cards I've liked:
: probably my number 1 natural order target. This guy is awesome wrath insurance.
: 5 bodies for 1 card - that enables a 25/25 thromok. The flying deathtouch blockers are also frequently relevant.
: produces tokens, doubles some of the sneakier spells. Speaking of things to double, in addition to natural order, I'd recommend .
: more great wrath insurance; plus synergies with the devour plan.
/ : trample & haste on lands. Uber value. This used to be better when was legal, but I've started using , and that sometimes amounts to the same thing.
: its 1 card that makes six tokens, or five tokens on the following turn. This passes the test : anything that makes 5 or more tokens for Thromok to eat is a win. Also nutty with .

I dunno if you still feel like you need more card draw, but if so... , , / have all been really good for me. Also , which is just fine to go along with the ramp in green.

FYI: is so cool; but basically win-more. I mean, you've already produced tokens, cast thromok, devoured them, attacked with thromok... you don't need berserk at that point. The dream scenario is using it to kill two of your opponent's creatures when they attack each other; which I find basically never comes up. I dunno, if you get one, I guess the flexibility of the dual use might make it worth running; but for me its not.

Glint-Eye Nephilim (combat tricks, card draw, & creature pump)
Oloro Upkeep Tribal (enchantment-based control)
and more:Decklists

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-01 10:51 pm 

Hey dude, nice list! First thing I notice is the lack of which is basically a must, especially given that you have all the rest of the haste granters in here.

Next is, I think that the lack of flyers or interaction with flyers will be your undoing more often than you think. Obviously we saw my dragons have a good go at that, but even with a more laid back flying deck it could start hurting you. Its harder for you to race given your set up requirements so I don't think this can be too relied upon alone. I still think it would be prudent to play something that affects flyers. Something like ?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-02 1:50 am 

? Loved it in Ulasht.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-02 6:02 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-02 6:31 am 

More haste? Yes please. I love this card.. it does exactly what you want for Thromok.. , plus try these..., . Also, you might try as he just makes things worse for your opponents if you play fatties.

Plus, if people are waiting for you to cast your general, and you have a few fatties out, you can turn the board over with ... just don't cast your general.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-02 7:46 am 

i understand the flying bit, I am reflecting my own experience when my token deck was strictly wolves and werewolves and I struggled like hell against flyers. I will crack out my gfs angel deck and see if the fight is any better. The deck doesn't end up with quad mana lol just good honest plains with the odd mountain thrown in. Recursion abounds of course but nothing silly. That might be a better deck to show up and possible holes in the flying portion. I just go for flyers or fighting them whenever I build a deck as I always have, maybe I am overselling flyers!? DO NOT REMOVE GIANT ADEPHAGE. It's epic and I love it! 8)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-02 5:44 pm 

Is there a particular reason for not running ? He's a lot better than the cyclops.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-02 6:33 pm 

Last edited by Segrus on 2014-Jun-03 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-03 12:04 am 

plus fervor is harder to kill than Urabrask, and Urabrask tends to make you the archenemy as people don't like their stuff entering tapped IMO. I like the changes and look forward to seeing them when I bring my Lazav deck back from the dead!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-03 7:15 am 

is nice tech. I wish he cost less than 6. Might be better in a build that leveraged the token-swarm plan more, tho.

Edit: also, this is a really great deck to leverage the token making production in green with the awesome, game-ending power of . Even a couple efficient token makers is all it takes...

I think my suggestion would be to drop 1 or 2 of the dozen haste-enablers and add a few more consistent token producers...

Glint-Eye Nephilim (combat tricks, card draw, & creature pump)
Oloro Upkeep Tribal (enchantment-based control)
and more:Decklists

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-05 5:57 am 

Purphoros and tokens is half a deck, you don't need much else. It's a bit hard to get a good look at your deck list here at this campsite in Tuscany though, so I take your word for it if Mana Echoes doesn't fit in. I would change the deck to make it fit, it's one of the most broken things you can do in R/G. The other route is ramp plus fat, but then I wouldn't pick Omnomnom as your general.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-05 6:49 am 

Offline Profile