[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MTG Commander/Elder Dragon Highlander • View topic - Maelstrom Wanderer - Are We Playing Planechase or EDH?

Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2020-Jan-17 1:06 pm

Post subject: Maelstrom Wanderer - Are We Playing Planechase or EDH?
AgePosted: 2012-Jul-04 8:18 am 

General

The Multiverse

The Planes

The Phenomenons

Utility

Win Conditions

What the heck is this deck about?
This deck is an expression of my love of the Planechase variant and my attempt to emulate it. From a design standpoint, this deck aims to mirror the philosophy Wizards had when they designed PC2012, which was to push the game forward more than stalling or pushing the game back. To this I added my own design restrictions based on the randomness that I felt Planechase was about, rules, if you will:

1. Push the game forward, not back. Wizards had the philosophy with PC2012 of using effects that would progress the game, not slow it down.
2. No tutors. The excitement of Planechase is peeling the next plane and seeing what happens. To emulate this I use cascade and random effects as much as possible, and most importantly, I don’t run any tutors (to dig through my library or an opponent’s) or deck manipulation effects to stack things in my favor. (This is strictly for deck-building. Once the game begins I’ll gladly use my opponent’s resources to get tutors.)
3. Seven or less. In order to keep the deck truly random, every card in the deck (outside land, obviously) is fair game off of a Wanderer cascade.
4. Mix the good with the bad. Good and bad effects keep the thrill of suspense active, but generally the game should go forward and not grind to a halt because people can’t attack, untap lands, cast spells, etc.
5. Have fun. [s]When[/s] If the deck wins, leave the players laughing, not frowning.

Design Notes and Questions
Essentially, the deck is packed with three types of cards, "planes", "phenomenons", and utility. The planes are the artifacts and enchantments which create a global effect on the game. Instants and sorceries make up the phenomenons, and miscellaneous one sided effects and signets make up the utility. Much like playing Planechase when each player has their own set of planes, the hardest part was tailoring as much of the deck around global effects (such as running basics so Price of Progress doesn't hurt me) and finding negative effects that only targeted opponents (most notably ). There's also some pretty annoying cards like , but I tried to keep the strictly annoying ones to a minimum, and couple them with silly effects (here everyone, have a ).

What's up with your mana base? - One of the win conditions relies on punishing people for running nonbasic lands. Yes, this deck would be more reliable and consistent with a few duals, but this isn't a competitive deck.

Ok, fine. But you should run then. - See above. I want people to have fun, not groan.

So how do you win? Can you? - Ideally, I drop the BFFs / and draw everyone else to death. I can also punish people for greedy/expensive manabases. Failing that, there's always combat damage. There's a potential to win with this deck is there, but I grab this deck if I want to have fun, not reliably win the game.

What's your gameplan?
Hahahahahahha!!!1!!1 Oh wait, you were serious? First off, you need mana. Since you’re not going to get help from duals and fetches, the lands and mana rocks in your opening grip really set the stage for what’s going to happen later on. Once you’ve got some mana, let everyone know you’re running with chaos by casting the random spells. If you get , you play that bad boy as soon as you can. At this stage of the game you’re trying to do three things: let your opponents know you’re not a threat (which let’s be honest with ourselves, you’re not), drawing into , or ramping into Wanderer. Now, if you found Psychosis Crawler, you want to start drawing ALL the cards. If that fails, you have to try to get in there with combat damage, either from the Wanderer itself, or .

I Can’t Math!!! (And Other Game Ending Synergies)
+ + : The closest we have to an instant-win combo. For added redundancy, there’s , , , , and . Bottom line is, get the first two out, and you can rack up a lot of damage. For a while I was also running , and while having another Wheel effect is great, trying to track the damage gets insane. If you want to maximize the damage Crawler does, keep Psyche in mind.

: You wouldn’t think that with only having one time magic spell I could chain extra turns, but using , , , and other peoples spells, there’s been plenty of times when I’ve chained 3+ turns in a row. Capitalize your extra turns with combat damage, bouncing Wanderer for a bunch of cascades, or even just stabilizing.

is so fun it deserves its own paragraph. You play this card the second you can and you don’t look back. This card doubles your storm count for , it acts as a random tutor (especially when you need or ), and best of all, since for the most part you don’t actually care about what you cast, it messes with your opponents’ strategies. The great thing is, unlike , opponents have fun with it because they can cast and end up with , for example.

Lastly, I feel it bears mentioning about the synergy between and . This is similar to the lock, because with these two in play, every time your opponents cast a spell from their hand, Storm triggers and exiles it, then attempts to cast another spell. However, the stack isn’t empty, so Teferi prevents them from casting it. It’s not a hard lock, similar to Knowledge Pool, but it is irritating all the same. I’ve debated adding Teferi to my list, but I doubt I will do so. Just be aware that this is an efficient win condition, should you choose to add it to your deck.

---------

(Note: Super-pretty thread can be found here.)

Last edited by cryogen on 2013-Sep-23 10:50 am, edited 11 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Maelstrom Wanderer - Are We Playing Planechase or EDH?
AgePosted: 2012-Jul-04 12:08 pm 

Gulp. This deck heavily reminds me of some Zedruu and Pheldagrif group hug decks I've seen.

?

I propose that to solve all the format's problems now and for ever, ban every card in the game that says "library", "search", "destroy", "exile", "all", "battlefield", "graveyard", "draw", "untap", or "damage" on the card. Also, anything with a semi-questionable color identity, anything that is remotely comparable to something on the banlist, and anything that brings up conflicts or loopholes in the rules.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jul-04 7:37 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jul-05 12:34 pm 

I love what you're trying to do. Some comments:
- what are your plans with this?
and (which I strongly support) don't work well together, though PS could be fun to mess with. I love the interaction with stuff like .
- the effect seems fun, but it seems like it'd wiff a lot. does something similar.
Add for more random miracle goodness?
won't hurt you and could affect the others.
Not sure if fits, but it's interesting.
is pretty crazy.
?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jul-05 1:52 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jul-05 7:10 pm 

nothing helpful to add, just wanted to say this.
I LOVE WHIRLPOOL WARRIOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jul-05 7:48 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jul-06 2:25 am 

Actually, Tormond's Crypt would be a good choice, since it'll reshuffle back into my library. The Relic would get my stuff too, defeating the purpose. Can't think of any other one sided hate in those colors other than , but I only have one copy of that and it's in a different deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jul-06 4:40 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jul-06 5:43 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jul-06 5:53 pm 

The cage is good. could be better because it cycles.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-14 8:59 pm 

Decklist and original post updated.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Oct-21 10:47 am 

Played this deck in the first session of our league. Managed to kill someone with general damage, and the deck certainly performed better than expected. One drawback which was unexpected was that I lost multiple points for drawing 10+ cards a turn (one of the negatives on the new Armada points list). However, this was pretty funny, because the deck is quite capable of making EVERYONE lose points for that.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Dec-07 3:55 pm 

Bump for most recent changes:

Out: , ,
In: , ,

I'm also trying to think of some fun ways to combo out. So far, all I have is an infinite turn combo with E-Wit, Erratic Portal, and Time Warp, but that's pretty boring. I'm debating adding , but I don't think I'd get enough use out of him. Also debating to speed up the Psychosis Crawler combo.

Any ideas you all have for some fun combos I could add would be awesome. The goofier the better, but I'd rather not have some giant Rube Goldberg device unless I can justify running the cards individually.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Dec-07 4:01 pm 

and... anything that taps to make dudes?

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, predicting the future.

Offline Profile