[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MTG Commander/Elder Dragon Highlander • View topic - [/Rant]

Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2020-Jan-19 4:44 am

Post subject: [/Rant]
AgePosted: 2015-May-17 8:24 pm 

Just had a rather off-topic thing bothering me and wanted to vent. Then I thought a generic thread for that might be useful here (search found a few MtG Related rant threads, but I didn't want to necro those since this is venting on non-Magic things). So, if anyone else wants to use this to get some random stuff off your chest, feel free.

For me.... Just finished "Saint Odd" (Last book of Odd Thomas Series by Dean Koontz).

I really hate when a great series doesn't get the ending it deserves. It was a good book, I think. However, when I finished I felt very dissatisfied and wasn't sure exactly why (though there were things that leapt out to me as issues I had). After sleeping on it I think I know why it bothers me now, but that doesn't help resolve the dissatisfaction.

Rant under spoiler, for those that haven't read the book or series (and despite everything, the series really is worth reading).

Just wanted to put my thought down somewhere and vent. Thanks.

HK

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: [/Rant]
AgePosted: 2015-May-18 12:15 am 

Haven't read that series but Enders Game?

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-18 12:46 am 

I couldn't make it through Xenocide+ that whole line of story just didn't do it for me. The Shadow line lost steam and crashed. Too bad, Ender's Shadow was my favorite.

-> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-18 5:07 am 

Rafiq, Sharuum, Nekusar, Kresh, Mayael, Kaalia, Maelstrom Wanderer, Ghave, Ruhan, Mimeoplasm, Genju of the Realm, Phelddagrif, Derevi, Oloro, Jenara, Karrthus, Marath, Tariel, Riku, Karador, Numot, Damia, Sliver Overlord, Karn, Silver Golem

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-18 6:52 am 

I was disappointed with Mostly Harmless, the last book in the Hitchhiker's Guide series. Not that the style of writing really changed or anything, I just didn't like the ending. I'd have been happy with the series ending with So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-18 7:26 am 

I know it's controversial, but I really liked the ending of the Dark Tower series. I thought it was a perfect way to wrap it up. It actually ended the series better than any other ending of a series I know.

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-18 10:07 am 

I don't think I've like an ending to any of Stephen King's books, except for maybe pet semetary.

The Dark Tower Series was a major disappointment for me.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-18 1:40 pm 

yeah I know it's really polarizing but I thought it was a perfect fit for Roland. Ka is like a wheel; its one purpose, to turn.

Getting through Song of Susannah is a chore, as is the first half of The Dark Tower but I feel he really gets back onto the path and nails the ending. One of the few series where I had no questions left after the end.

The one disappointment I had was how trivial Martin ended up.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-18 8:10 pm 

HK

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-18 11:59 pm 

Honestly, the entire saga by Orson Scott Card has a central focus of philosophy. I thought all the books were amazing, but I knew before hand that all the books had that focus.

If only more Science Fiction was like that, and not the empty fluff and drivel like an 80's action movie.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-19 2:00 am 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-19 12:59 pm 

One series that had an ending I didn't much like was Inheritence (AKA Eragon). I felt that Eragon's defeat of Galbatorix was a glorified way of saying "And he believed in himself, which allowed him to triumph". Also, I felt like the third Rider thing was just thrown into the end to say, "well, we'll satisfy that mystery" without any real reason or rhyme.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-26 3:59 pm 

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-29 8:47 am 

I hate the homogenization that occurs in the entertainment industry. It goes something like this:

An innovation comes in. The work it's in is popular (partly) because of it. Other works try to emulate the innovation in an attempt to emulate the success of the original. The innovation becomes ubiquitous and later a standard. The audiences come to expect it and berate the works that don't have it. But the innovation is very costly and very time-consuming to make right and eventually it makes "blockbuster" titles so expensive to make that authors can't really afford to experiment in any way with them, so the subsequent works become more and more dull and unimaginative, endless sequels kick in and if a work is not a sequel, it's based on a time-proven older work that's universally popular to ensure the return of the investment.

I'm so sad that after hitting the movie market hard, this came down on the gaming world as well. The latest disappointment in this regard for me was Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2. I haven't finished it yet, but about three quarters in, it's a giant mess.
The game doesn't know if it's a bad action game, a bad platformer or a bad movie.
The story makes no sense, the world fails to give any kind of rules that are at work there, so one could make any sense of it. Just a string of random events spiced with some narmy "drama". Yaaawn.
I can't remember any of the music pieces from the game, because it's all either orchestral mess or an ambient nothing.
There are lots of artificial barriers where you walk into a small corridor through an open door, flip a switch, watch an animation of a mechanism working, that valiantly fails to cover up the painfully obvious fact it's just a masked loading screen, then FINALLY the second door open and you can move on.
Regular enemies are just bland.
But of course it has gorgeous graphics and effects so we're all expected to shut up and shell out. Well, tough luck, guys, I ain't gonna pay full price for that. You know what, I'll save my cash for a 2D indie game with weird art style, simple, catchy tunes, great and/or innovative gameplay and a genuinely gripping atmosphere and story, how do you like that?!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-29 11:53 am 

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, predicting the future.

Offline Profile