Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Aug-25 12:13 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Epic Games
AgePosted: 2012-Apr-05 1:08 pm 

Grand_Abolisher wrote:
Izzet or Izzn't wrote:
Grand_Abolisher wrote:
I get a lucky break by pulling Mindslaver, cast it, and start a mini counter war which I win via Flusterstorm. I still have mana to sac it, and do so. Thanks to H mine, I draw two tutors. I use them both to get Damnation and Cunning Wish. I cast Damnation, drop a Tormod's Crypt, and use the Wish. With it, i search my trade binder for One With Nothing, cast it, and then exile his graveyard with the Crypt.

I then go on to win with general damage.

Wait, was all of this on the Mindslaver'ed player's turn? Did you use his Cunning Wish from his hand, and go through *your* trade binder? I'm not much for using Wishes w/o sideboards, but even if allowed to use an entire collection, it wasn't his cards that you went for. Dirty pool, sir.

LOL, even so, it sounds like it was a really good game, though.

Yeah, the ruling for Wishes that we use at our LGS is whatever you have on you, but it can't be banned (including the LGS's house rules), illegal in your general's colors, or already present in the deck. Also, you have to put the wish in the "exiled from the game until it is over" zone so that cards like Riftsweeper don't end up fucking everyone over.

Yeah, but it should have been HIS trade binder, not yours, since it sounds like you were casting HIS cunning wish during HIS turn (forgive if I got that wrong). For that matter, the second I see Mindslaver coming at me with cunning wish in my hand (and no mana to ditch it), I'm tossing my backpack out the window and shoving any cards on me up a nearby orifice. Fail to search THAT.

Most famous article: Breaking Phage

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/misc ... Phage.html

Personal Favorite: pWN3D: Recollections of Spectacular Defeats in Multiplayer Magic

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/mult ... Magic.html

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jun-02 8:42 pm 

Playing a game today with my Horobi deck vs. Homura and Thelon. It's going pretty decent, the Thelon player has a bunch of tokens and Homura has Siege-gang Commander and Furnace of Rath and Vicious Shadows out...he's getting pretty crazy. I look at the Decree of Pain in my hand...

"Well I am at 23 life with only one other card in hand so Vicious Shadows won't kill me..."

(Cast Decree of Pain)

Homura grins evilly:
"Resolves."

I draw something like 12 cards, all his triggers occur and I take over 90 points of damage.
Bad play of the week for me!
:facepalm:

Xantcha, Sleeper Agent - cEDH discard/attrition.
Pre-Modern:
A Denying Wind.
Duel Commander:
Nissa, Vastwoord Seer - Ramp ramp ramp into Ugin+Painter's Servant.
Kari Zev, Skyship Raider - Unbridled Aggro

Find me Saturdays at the Wizard's Tower - Ottawa and occasional Mondays at Westboro Legion for Duel Commander.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jun-03 3:21 am 

So going back to an earlier post in this thread, I had someone on MTGO do the whole Dark Mike + Triskelion thing on me, and I just conceded when I found out what he was trying, but without a sac outlet does that even work? Dark Mike gives every creature you control +1/+1 so Triskelion can't kill itself by removing counters. Unless I'm wrong, it'll just do 3 damage and sit there till its killed and can start all over again.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jun-03 3:31 am 

Triiskelion can damage itself
So triskelion 1 damage to a player, 2 damage to itself - Mike makes it persist
Trike can now do 2 damage to something 2 to itself, and the loops goes on.

* editied because I read cards good :oops:

Last edited by odit on 2012-Jun-03 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jun-03 3:47 am 

odit wrote:
Triiskelion can damage itself
So triskelion 2 damage to a player, 1 damage to itself - Mike makes it persist
Trike can now do 3 damage to something 1 to itself, and the loops goes on.

Technically it's 1 damage to a player, 2 damage to itself, as Mikaeus, the Unhallowed is a lord for non-humans.

Vorel of the Hull Clade - Abusing counters for fun and profit

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jun-05 8:14 am 

Played a 5-player game with my friends this weekend. One of my friends put up a Glen Elendra Archmage for the winner 'just because' and I really wanted it.

I was playing Zedruu with Radha, Heir to Keld, Thraximundar, Kemba, Kha Regent, and Oona, Queen of the Fae. I opened the game with Leyline of Anticipation which was key for me. I'm typically the threat at our games, but was able to hang low and not get a lot of attention at first. Kemba was amazingly able to assemble Kaldra without tutors (Helm of Kaldra, Sword of Kaldra, and Shield of Kaldra) and had protection with Hanna's Custody, then Darksteel Forge, etc. I had Insurrection in my hand, but felt it was a douchy way to win the game, so I didn’t want to cast it for a while, but the game was dragging so I decided to go for it, but it was countered by Oona, Queen of the Fae.

Kemba, Kha Regent started to pound my face with Kaldra. I was able to hold it off a little with Soul Snare and Path to Exile (once retrieved with Mystic Retrieval), but things were looking grim. When I was at 13 life, Thraximundar went to trigger his Leechridden Swamp, but I flashed in Storm Herd first to get 13 flying ponies first. When Kemba went to attack me with Kaldra, I was able to flash in Statecraft and block with the ponies, which saved my life.

I flashed back Mystic Retrieval to get my Insurrection, before realizing my Statecraft wasn’t going to let me win with it (oops). It turned out to be the perfect play in hindsight, because Traximundar Vampiric Tutored for his own Insurrection and cast it and no one countered it, so I flashed my own Insurrection to save the game, which is the weirdest use of Insurrrection I’ve ever seen.

Finally it was down to me and Thraximundar and he was at 13 life and I was at 10. He played Spirit Away on my Zedruu to prevent me from drawing cards and gaining life. I then Orim’s Chanted his Spirit Away with kicker, dealing him 7 damage, and flashed in Form of the Dragon on his end step to deal the last 5 damage to him on my upkeep for the game.

It was the hardest game I’ve ever won.

Sharuum
Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs
Garza Zol
Edric
Damia
Zedruu
Ashling the Pilgrim
Karona, False God
Grimgrin
Rhys the Redeemed
Kaervek
Wrexial
Bruna
Melek
Brigid
Stonebrow
Jor Kadeen
Mimeoplasm
Balthor
Yeva
Kira
Progenitus
Vish Kal
Animar
Kaalia
Ghave
Skullbriar

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jun-05 8:37 am 

shmebula wrote:
Finally it was down to me and Thraximundar and he was at 13 life and I was at 10. He played Spirit Away on my Zedruu to prevent me from drawing cards and gaining life. I then Orim’s Chanted his Spirit Away with kicker, dealing him 7 damage, and flashed in Form of the Dragon on his end step to deal the last 5 damage to him on my upkeep for the game.

5+7=12

I'm just going to assume you mistyped Thraxi's life total and that it was actually 12. Either way, really good story. I love the "Leyline of Anticipation + Insurrection as an 8-mana Fog" play. If only there had been some creatures with activated abilities you could have gotten at least a little more value out of it, but maybe then it wouldn't have been as epic?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jun-05 8:59 am 

intreped wrote:
shmebula wrote:

5+7=12

I'm just going to assume you mistyped Thraxi's life total and that it was actually 12. Either way, really good story. I love the "Leyline of Anticipation + Insurrection as an 8-mana Fog" play. If only there had been some creatures with activated abilities you could have gotten at least a little more value out of it, but maybe then it wouldn't have been as epic?

Busted. I was trying to shorten the story, so I didn't point out that I had enchanted myself with Paradox Haze (love that card) to get the double life and cards with Zedruu, so I actually dealt 10 damage with FotD. I guess I should have added that since it added to the epicness of the game.

Oh, and I was going to use one guy's Visara the Dreadful to kill itself, but after I said that, he claimed that he should have been able to do something first, so I let him (I'm fairly certain he wouldn't have thought of it - I should have made sure the Insurrection resolved first to remove all doubt). No other dudes with activated abilities though.

Sharuum
Garza Zol
Edric
Damia
Zedruu
Ashling the Pilgrim
Karona, False God
Grimgrin
Rhys the Redeemed
Kaervek
Wrexial
Bruna
Melek
Brigid
Stonebrow
Jor Kadeen
Mimeoplasm
Balthor
Yeva
Kira
Progenitus
Vish Kal
Animar
Kaalia
Ghave
Skullbriar

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jun-05 10:46 am 

A few months ago, I was in a 4 hour game with a pretty sick turnaround.

Me: Reaper King Allies
Enemies: Sakashima (counterspell.dec), Sharuum, Sedris, and Child of Alara (wrath.dec)

Over the course of this game, the board had been wiped at least 7 times, Sedris and Child had been knocked out, I only had lands in play (and one card in hand), and over half of my deck was in my graveyard.
Sakashima and Sharuum were geared up for the final battle, with me as an afterthought at 9 life.
Sharuum tried to play Open the Vaults, which was going to be completely backbreaking. This resulted in a 9 counterspell stack, and Sharuum pissed because he couldn't use his 10th because of ordering his spells wrong and not having the mana for the last one.
After the stack resolved, we were all pretty amazed by the epicness and Sharuum passed to me.
I drew for turn, played the Hagra Diabolist I had in hand, and then the Patriarch's Bidding I drew calling Allies. The 14 allies that came back into play included a Jwari Shapeshifter, not that I needed it at that point.

The table went nuts about that turnaround, and the "NO FUCKING WAY" that came from the Sharuum player actually got us scolded by the staff.

Color Pie Project

White: Rune-Tail, Kitsune Ascendant
Blue: Braids, Conjurer Adept
Black: Anowon, the Ruin Sage
Red: Kumano, Master Yamabushi
Green: Omnath, Locus of Mana

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jun-05 10:59 am 

The_Dr_B wrote:
This resulted in a 9 counterspell stack

That's completely insane.

I have a 5-color Allies deck and most of the out of nowhere amazing (for me) wins come off the back of the Hagra Diabolist, so I saw that one coming.

I just retooled my Allies deck to only have Primal Surge as the only non-permanent, so I'm hoping for some insane moments with that.

Sharuum
Garza Zol
Edric
Damia
Zedruu
Ashling the Pilgrim
Karona, False God
Grimgrin
Rhys the Redeemed
Kaervek
Wrexial
Bruna
Melek
Brigid
Stonebrow
Jor Kadeen
Mimeoplasm
Balthor
Yeva
Kira
Progenitus
Vish Kal
Animar
Kaalia
Ghave
Skullbriar

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jun-05 11:51 am 

shmebula wrote:
The_Dr_B wrote:
This resulted in a 9 counterspell stack

That's completely insane.

Flusterstorm allowed me to get a 15 counterspell stack before....... if you count the copies.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jun-07 12:29 pm 

Files this under "so good, it's bad":

Playing three-way Planechase Commander with Damia. First plane is Grove of the Dreampods, and as the second player to have my turn, I blast out of the gates with a Consecrated Sphinx off the top of the my library.

With just a few lands in play, I'm frantically trying to cast all the cards I'm drawing, but still having to discard down to seven each turn. I get Psychosis Crawler into play, which turns every opponent's draw step into a Shock at each opponent.

They team up against me, but just as they manage to get some real muscle down, I play Living Death. My graveyard is well-stocked from the many early discards, and the table is a complete mess with ETB effects everywhere.

I recur Psychosis Crawler and get both Recycle and Null Profusion in play, bleeding them for even more as I whirl through my library. From there, everything is a blur until I win the game by playing Exsanguinate for 15, then Eternal Witness for Exsanguinate the following turn.

Status: Half of my deck was either on the battlefield or in my graveyard, it didn't matter what my opponents played, and despite many attempts, we never left Grove of the Dreampods. I want to combine Planechase with Commander, but I'm not sure I want to have another game like that for the foreseable future.

Vorel of the Hull Clade - Abusing counters for fun and profit

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jun-07 3:13 pm 

Malekoda wrote:
Files this under "so good, it's bad":

Playing three-way Planechase Commander with Damia. First plane is Grove of the Dreampods, and as the second player to have my turn, I blast out of the gates with a Consecrated Sphinx off the top of the my library.

With just a few lands in play, I'm frantically trying to cast all the cards I'm drawing, but still having to discard down to seven each turn. I get Psychosis Crawler into play, which turns every opponent's draw step into a Shock at each opponent.

They team up against me, but just as they manage to get some real muscle down, I play Living Death. My graveyard is well-stocked from the many early discards, and the table is a complete mess with ETB effects everywhere.

I recur Psychosis Crawler and get both Recycle and Null Profusion in play, bleeding them for even more as I whirl through my library. From there, everything is a blur until I win the game by playing Exsanguinate for 15, then Eternal Witness for Exsanguinate the following turn.

Status: Half of my deck was either on the battlefield or in my graveyard, it didn't matter what my opponents played, and despite many attempts, we never left Grove of the Dreampods. I want to combine Planechase with Commander, but I'm not sure I want to have another game like that for the foreseable future.

That's why I like Planechase, it turns the game into total chaos, and gives the underdog a chance.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jun-07 3:35 pm 

Malekoda wrote:
I want to combine Planechase with Commander, but I'm not sure I want to have another game like that for the foreseable future.

In my experience, Commandchase games go about like that one (wherein one player dominates all the others) about 40% of the time, have all players more-or-less equally affected (positively or negatively) by the planes 50% of the time, and players just forget the planes are even there about 10% of the time. So it sounds like you might want to stick to just Commander or Planechase, not both. On the other hand, the outrageously dominated games usually end pretty quickly, so you get more time playing fun balanced games even if you play slightly fewer of them.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jun-07 5:43 pm 

So, a couple of weeks back there was a rather epic game that occured. I was playing Teysa, friends were playing, clockwise from me, Rafiq, Sek'Kuar, Deathkeepers, and Kangee, Aerie Keeper tribal.

Game was going alright, with the two blue players picking a fight and Rafiq, partialy due to the player being new to the game with making his decks, Rafiq was losing. Then, all hell breaks loose when my Blood Artist hits the table and I protect this mofo like a, well, mofo. So, due to Blood Artist causing absolute havoc, Rafiq gets killed by Kangee and Kangee is getting quite low due to the bloodbath when Sek'Kuar decides to end this. All three players have learned to be nervous when I leave lots of mana open and pass a turn but have started calling my bluffs more regularly.

Sek, with Kamahl, Fist of Krosa in play and a very sizeable board comes roaring in at me with everything he has. I spend 10 mana and the next thing I hear out of Sek is "I did not expect the Decree of Justice and proceed to rip apart his offence via Teysa exile. I spend another black on Entomb to search for Valor and send it to the bin resulting in a "Fuck off, Kyle" and block his biggest hitter with Vampire Nighthawk and group blocking some of the more problematic fatties to first strike them down. Then, between first strike and normal damage, I start sacing more of my creatures to Teysa, all the while Blood Artist is doing his job and Kangee is soon down to one life and doing a number on Sek'Kuar. I survive, from about 80 life down to about 8 and both of our forces in a mess and Kangee not looking pleased about me having Circle of Despair, one mana open, and one creature left. My Blood Artist.

Swinging in to force my hand, I do the predictable, leaving me with nothing on the table and no mana open. So, with the two of us left, I fish a little with Greed, hit Marshal's Anthem, kicked it as many times as I can safely do, hitting all kinds of juicy pieces, and leaving just enough mana open for more answers. Realizing the game is over for him, he folds and I am sitting at 4 life.

Since that game, Blood Artist has been causing many people much concern and has become some serious tech for my Teysa deck.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next