Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Aug-18 10:59 pm

Post subject: Scion of the Ur-Dragon: Aggro-tool box Dragon-death!!!
AgePosted: 2011-Mar-25 1:39 pm 

UPDATED 10-6-2012

Someone in another Scion thread Asked that I post my decklist, so here it is. A few caveates: 1. The deck is always changing a bit here and there. 2. The manabase. I am not running any of the original duals in this iteration of the deck. This is on purpose. Its not that I don't have them; I do. When I first designed the deck I decided I wanted to try 5-color mana fixing in a deck that NEEDED to be fast WITHOUT running any of the original duals. I have considered changing it a few times and currently have a version of it on Cockatrice running the original duals.. I am currently running ONE dualland: Badlands, there is an explanation of this below. 3. I always welcome suggestions.
the deck mostly functions as an Aggro-reanimator deck but with more than enough toolbox cards (Plus Ulamog for recycling) to play to the mid or long game. About the only thing I think the deck is lacking as far as what it can do is a counter package. Without further ado

Generalisimo: 1.Scion of the Ur-Dragon (Foil)

Dragons: 15

2. Bladewing The Risen (FtV Dragons Foil)
3. Dragon Mage
4. Dragon Tyrant
5. Hellkite Overlord (FtV Dragons Foil)
6. Hoard-Smelter Dragon (Foil)
7. Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund
8. Kokusho, the Evening Star (FTV: Dragons Foil)
9. Balefire Dragon (Foil)
10. Nicol Bolas (FtV Dragons Foil)
11. Numot, the Devastator
12. Utvara Hellkite
13. Scourge of Kher Ridges (Foil)
14. Steel Hellkite (PreRelease Foil)
15. Teneb, the Harvester (Foil)
16. Yosei, the Morning Star

Non-Dragon Creatures:6

17. Magus of the Bazaar (This card REALLY wants to be Bazaar of Baghdad)
18. Genesis
19. Eternal Witness (FNM Foil)
20. Blightsteel Colossus
21. Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre (FTV: legends Foil)
22. Withered Wretch

Enchantments: 11
23. Phyrexian Reclamation: (Foil)
24. Survival of the Fittest
25. Prismatic Omen
26. Pernicious Deed (Judge Foil)
27. Phyrexian Arena
28. Unfulfilled Desires:
29. Sneak Attack: So everyone knows how amazing this is in here right?
30. Mirari's Wake (ProTour Foil)
31. Conspiracy (Foil)
32. Debtors' Knell
33. Leyline of Sanctity

Instants: 7

34. Vampiric Tutor
35. Mystical Tutor
36. Enlightened Tutor
37. Lim-Dul's Vault
38. Insidious Dreams
39. Return to Dust (Foil)
40. Path to Exile (FNM Foil)

Sorceries: 11

41. Reanimate (PDS: Graveborn Foil)
42. Exhume (PDS: Graveborn Foil)
43. Demonic tutor (Judge Foil)
44. Buried Alive (PDS: Graveborn Foil)
45. Victimize
46. Wheel of Fortune
47. Austere Command
48. Damnation
49. Beacon of Unrest (Foil)
50. Living Death
51. Patriarch's Bidding

Planeswalkers: 4

52. Jace, the Mind Sculptor (Brainstorm is great in this deck)
53. Liliana Vess (Duels of the Plansewalkers Foil)
54. Sarkhan Vol
55. Sarkhan the Mad

Artifacts: 8

56. Sol Ring (FtV Relics Foil)
57. Mana Vault
58. Chromatic Lantern (Foil)
59. Mox Diamond (FtV Relics Foil)
60. Darksteel Ingot (Foil)
61. Sensei's Divining Top (FtV Exiled Foil)
62. Scroll Rack

Lands: 38

63. City of Brass
64. Command Tower
65. Reflecting Pool (Tempest)
66. Boseiju, Who Shelters all (FTV: Realms foil)
67. Diamond Valley
68. Miren, the Moaning Well
69.Volrath’s Stronghold
70. Stripmine (FTV: Exiled Foil)
71. Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth (FTV: Realms foil)

TriLands: 6

72. Crumbling Necropolis (Foil)
73. Arcane Sanctum (Foil)
74. Jungle Shrine (Foil)
75. Seaside Citadel (Foil)
76. Savage Land (FNM Foil)
77. Murmuring Bosk (FTV: Realms Foil)

Fetches: 6

78. Krosan Verge
79. Scalding Tarn
80. Arid Mesa (Foil)
81. Marsh Flats
82. Verdant Catacombs
83. Misty Rainforest

84. Bojuka Bog (Foil)
85. Emeria The Sky Ruin (Foil)
86. Badlands
87. Island
88. Plains
89. Forest
90. Mountain
91. Blood Crypt
92. Overgrown Tomb
93. Sacred Foundry
94. Stomping Ground (Foil)
95. Watery Grave
96. Hallowed Fountain
97. Steam Vents
98. Breeding Pool
99. Temple Garden (Foil)
100. Godless Shrine

Edit: - Yore-Tiller Nephilim
+ Primeval Titan

Edit: - Keiga, the tide star
+ Balefire Dragon
Edit: - Rhystic Study
+ Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Edit: - Reya Dawnbringer
+ Blightsteel Colossus
What can I really say here: Reya was just not good enough, I mean Sheoldred is more or less strictly better in the deck. That said I decided I wanted the option to one shot someone either with Sneak attack or Conspiracy. More importantly it gave me a second Indestructable target for Scion when Conspiracy is in play. Reya Dawnbringer was the weakest link left, so out she went.

- Day of Judgment
+ Austere Command

I decided I wanted another removal spell for both enchantments and artifacts. Since Damnation and Day of judgment are more or less interchangeable, I decided I could change one sweeper out for a more versatile option. Since I never have to sweep turn 4 the 2 added mana isn't particularly important, but the added flexibility is.

Edit: Sept 12, 2012: Wow have we been away a long time! Little update to the decklist is as follows:

- Jester's Cap
+ Leyline of Sanctity

Cap was a card that looked great on paper, and that I have had good luck with in other decks. The problem is that it just didn't work well here. I think I cast it in this deck exactly twice and only popped it once. There was always something better for this deck to be doing. Leyline of Sanctity, however, earned its spot the first time I played the deck, holding off grave-hate for 8 turns.

- Swamp
+ Badlands

Okay, so I know I said that I wasn't going to run any original duals in this deck. IN my defense I will say 2 things: 1.) it was sitting in my binder, all lonely, with no deck to love it (and that is a crime), and 2.) Between Bojuka Bog, and Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, and all my colorless lands that become swamps when Urborg is out, and a Swamp, it was just too many black-only-producers. So I swapped in one dual land, sue me.

Also I am Hopiong and praying that Kokusho is about to see the lifting of the ban-hammer. If that comes to pass on the 20th she will be replacing Quicksilve Dragon.

Also, when Return to Ravnica comes out Fellwar Stone will be replaced with Chromatic Lantern (card is fucking nuts in 5 color)

9-19-2012: Primetime is banned, Koko isn't:

- Primeval Titan
+ Kokusho, the Evening Star

10-6-12: Return to Ravnica was released so...

- Fellwar Stone
+ Chromatic Lantern

What can I say, the lantern is amazing in a five color deck and fellwar stone was the weakest mana fixing/ accel in the deck.

- Quicksilver Dragon
+ Utvara Hellkite

This is a test more than anything else. Quicksilver Dragon looked kind of good on paper but he has never held his ground. I think I have tutored for him once. The problem is that since Scion of the Ur-Dragon looses his ability to tutor once he becomes a copy of a dragon (stack-shenanigans not withstanding). As a result Quicksilver dragon is almost useless for stoping targeted removal. Any smart opponent will simply wait until you shift Scion into something else and he is locked into that form. Then they will path, stp, condemn, etc. Utvara Hellkite looks interesting however, especially with Sneak Attack, and because if I shift Scion into him BEFORE I attack, then I can get a free dragon, which seems nice.

Generals:

Sharuum, the Hegemon (Currently Foiling)
Scion of the Ur-Dragon (currently Foiling)
Karn, Silver Golem
Hazezon Tamar
Zur the Enchanter
Riku of Two Reflections
Very-nearly-Creatureless Sliver Queen PLaneswalkers (under Construction)
Progenitus - Creatures are for the Weak Retired.
Child of Alara: Lich Combo (under construction)

Last edited by Courtland on 2013-Feb-03 12:13 pm, edited 17 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Scion of the Ur-Dragon: Aggro-tool box Dragon-death!!!
AgePosted: 2011-Mar-28 4:11 am 

So you are running the Ravnica dual lands instead of the original dual lands. The difference would be 20 life and several hundred dollars. Functionally the same, but morally different? Still badass though.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-28 7:16 am 

No a GOOD manabase would be running the fetches that I AM running, plus the rav duals, with original duals + Grand coliseum (or an extra fetch) in the place of the tri-lands and the basics. trust me, it runs WAY more smoothly that way.

And of course if I had one High Market would be replaced with Diamond Valley because the deck IS VERY life-hungry.

Generals:

Karn, Silver Golem
Hazezon Tamar
Zur the Enchanter
Riku of Two Reflections

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-28 9:07 am 

Well yeah, that's what I'm planning to do once my stupid Timespiral cards come in the mail, duals up the yingyang.

In your specific case as to running the Ravnica duals instead of the original duals, is it a matter of principle, or just seeing if it works?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-28 9:24 am 

Its a little of both. I was playing WAY back in the day (fallen empires and Ice Age were in print when I got into the game, and I remeber black summer, though I was aware of the game for a year before I got in) and got out about 12 years ago. I got BACK in @ Alara reborn becuse the guys I am gaming with now play. Aside from the guy with the cube NONE of them have big money cards or dual lands, including the guy with a rather nasty Horde of Notions deck. there are some rav duals floating around the rest of the group though. So this was my attempt to build a 5-color, speed-dependant, color intensive mana base without using any of my original duals.

I figured using the rav. duals was a reasonable self-imposed design constraint. I do notice that the deck is usually 1 to 2 turns slower in color fixing though because of the lack of original duals. And of course Emeria isn't nearly as good.

Generals:

Karn, Silver Golem
Hazezon Tamar
Zur the Enchanter
Riku of Two Reflections

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-28 9:46 am 

I really like your dragon selection, it looks like a lot of fun.

Ok so I've never played a scion deck so I don't know why I am even giving my advice, but. It seems to me you might want to add 1 dragons and a Primeval titan or two dragons. And remove Reya Dawnbringer, prismatic omen. Also I would switch out Mox Diamond for sakura tribe elder

If you could Fit Mana reflection that would be awesome as well. I don't see Yore-Tiller Nephilim hitting more then once, so you might want to replace him.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-28 10:02 am 

There ya go, a good social deck! I approve. The one I'm working one has more dragons and less of the other stuff, while trying to keep answers for everything. I guess it probably just gets too diluted though.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-28 12:40 pm 

I have thought about Primeval titan more than once, the only problem at the moment is that I don't have one. I *HOPE* to get one on my next paycheck in which case he WILL replace Yore-tiller Nephilim; this was an already planned change coincidentally enough. Clearly great minds think alike. I actually REALLY like Reya in the deck for the same reason I like Debtors' Knell, its an "answer me now" card, because the cumulative advantage it gives is just back-breaking. If I pulled Reya, it would only be because I was going to do something genuinely Dickish like play Blightsteel Colossus, which I am avoiding doing at the moment.

Mox diamond is amazing and though Steve is theoretically awesome, I would never cut the mox for him. Prismatic Omen is great color fixing in the absence of real duals, though honestly, I would probably STILL play with it, its just great for 2 mana.

Generals:

Karn, Silver Golem
Hazezon Tamar
Zur the Enchanter
Riku of Two Reflections

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-31 2:10 pm 

Updated Decklist

Generals:

Karn, Silver Golem
Hazezon Tamar
Zur the Enchanter
Riku of Two Reflections

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-21 11:26 am 

Hi, couple questions. How has these cards been working for you:

Magus of the Bazaar
Buried Alive
Insidious Dreams
"Conspiracy package" (non-dragon creatures)
Unfulfilled Desires:
Phyrexian Reclamation
Hoard-Smelter Dragon

?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-21 12:01 pm 

Genesis wrote:

Magus of the Bazaar
Buried Alive
Insidious Dreams
"Conspiracy package" (non-dragon creatures)
Unfulfilled Desires:
Phyrexian Reclamation
Hoard-Smelter Dragon

?

Generally pretty well. In detail:

Magus of the Bazaar: This card REALLY wants to be Bazaar of Baghdad and if I still had a bazaar, it would be. That said it IS one of the weaker cards in the deck. It does work as a reasonably good discard-outlet if I am not too worried about graveyard hate. If nothing else he makes a great sac target for Victimize (though Scion is a better target if I have Bladewing the risen in the yard)

Buried alive: the card is usually either dead or a blowout. Against lots of grave-hate the card does no good at all. baring that its really good, especially with any of my reanimation spells. Would be better as an instant but then what isn't.

Insidious dreams: I have only played 3 games with the deck since puting it in and haven't drawn it yet, so I can't say, but it seems strong, especially with Dragon mage and the fact that I am running Wheel of Fortune.

Conspiracy package: its been good. it could be much meaner than it is (blightsteel colosus/ Phage, but honestly when it hits the board it is good. If nothing else being able to Scion for Ulamog to protect my yard, become wrath-proof, and gain Annihilator is AWESOME. Scioning for Primeval titan is also pretty good.

Unfulfilled desires: I love this card. This deck aside I just really like it, but in here its great. Its a discard outlet for the dragons I draw and helps me cycle fast if I need too. its also good that it is DRAW THEN discard.

More later...

Generals:

Karn, Silver Golem
Hazezon Tamar
Zur the Enchanter
Riku of Two Reflections

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-21 1:39 pm 

Looks really good, Kudos on the mana base, mine used to look like that and it's nice to know some people are less jerkish than me and do it on purpose.

don't ever cut Prismatic Omen. The card is retarded.

I've been thinking of building something very much like this, but I only have 1 set of revised duals (plus some extra ones for legacy but not a second full set), so I've been holding off. Maybe I should just bite the bullet.

Norin the Wary (chaos control)
Talrand (mono-U tempo/Proteus Staff combo)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-21 2:05 pm 

Genesis wrote:

Phyrexian Reclamation
Hoard-Smelter Dragon

?

Continued:

Phyrexian Reclamation has been pretty good to so so depending on when I draw it. if I have Sneak attack in play, its a god damn HOUSE. If I need to dodge targeted grave-hate like stone-cloaker or even just want to save a few key dragons from yard-wipe effects its great. Otherwise, it is so so. I definitely think it is more felxible than Oversold Cemetary, Oath or ghouls or genesis (though Genesis made the deck and will stay no matter what). The fact that it can be re-active is great, the fact that it costs life no so much.

Hoard-Smelter dragon: This guy is in here as a tool-box dragon. Against problem artifacts he is really good if a bit mana-intensive (provided that the problem artifact is NOT Null Rod). He has absolutely been amazing against a Kimba Equipment deck and I imagine would be very good against Karn decks. Otherwise he is a second Scion-able dragon that can deal with artifacts (the other being Steel hellkite). Because his ability is a bit specific he tends to either be a go-to card, or totally unnecessary. That said there are generally enough problem artifacts in the format that I think his inclusion is more than justified.

On a related note, I will probably, in fact, be making room in the deck for Sheoldred once New Phyrexia comes out. I just have to figure what to cut for her. Reya seems the obvious choice but I am wondering if I shouldn't use this as an opportunity to cut magus of the Bazaar and double up on the upkeep-res-effects.

Generals:

Karn, Silver Golem
Hazezon Tamar
Zur the Enchanter
Riku of Two Reflections

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-21 2:13 pm 

Killane wrote:
Looks really good, Kudos on the mana base, mine used to look like that and it's nice to know some people are less jerkish than me and do it on purpose.

don't ever cut Prismatic Omen. The card is retarded.

I've been thinking of building something very much like this, but I only have 1 set of revised duals (plus some extra ones for legacy but not a second full set), so I've been holding off. Maybe I should just bite the bullet.

I have totally thought, on more than one occasion, about just saying fuck it and pulling the duals out of several other edh decks and going all in on the manabase. I do know from playing around with it that it speeds the deck up by 1-3 turns depending on draw which can be all the difference between winning and loosing to a control deck (well, that and killing them when you have a chance...). But honestly, the deck runs surprisingly smoothly with the base it has. Of course this sort of deck also wants enough utility lands that between Duals, Shocks, fetches (I only run 6), and 3 or so Any-color lands you really don't have room for Basics which DOES make you very susceptable to Moon effects. None of that is running around my meta but it does effect alot of others so it is worth note. Of course once your general is down a moon effect doesn't hurt you since you can always Steel Hellkite it away. And of course the guy playing red has to LIVE long enough to drop a moon effect...and then survive your next turn, but it is still an important point. Color fixing for Scion is never as easy as everyone seems to think, even if you have the duals to drop in it.

I also agree that prismatic Omen is the bomb-diggity, especially with Emeria, the SKy Ruin and a Primeval titan...

Generals:

Karn, Silver Golem
Hazezon Tamar
Zur the Enchanter
Riku of Two Reflections

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-21 2:44 pm 

Courtland wrote:
Genesis wrote:

Phyrexian Reclamation
Hoard-Smelter Dragon

?

Continued:

Phyrexian Reclamation has been pretty good to so so depending on when I draw it. if I have Sneak attack in play, its a god damn HOUSE. If I need to dodge targeted grave-hate like stone-cloaker or even just want to save a few key dragons from yard-wipe effects its great. Otherwise, it is so so. I definitely think it is more felxible than Oversold Cemetary, Oath or ghouls or genesis (though Genesis made the deck and will stay no matter what). The fact that it can be re-active is great, the fact that it costs life no so much.

Hoard-Smelter dragon: This guy is in here as a tool-box dragon. Against problem artifacts he is really good if a bit mana-intensive (provided that the problem artifact is NOT Null Rod). He has absolutely been amazing against a Kimba Equipment deck and I imagine would be very good against Karn decks. Otherwise he is a second Scion-able dragon that can deal with artifacts (the other being Steel hellkite). Because his ability is a bit specific he tends to either be a go-to card, or totally unnecessary. That said there are generally enough problem artifacts in the format that I think his inclusion is more than justified.

On a related note, I will probably, in fact, be making room in the deck for Sheoldred once New Phyrexia comes out. I just have to figure what to cut for her. Reya seems the obvious choice but I am wondering if I shouldn't use this as an opportunity to cut magus of the Bazaar and double up on the upkeep-res-effects.

Okey. I'm thinking that you could dodge grave-hate by playing around it when you can and not going all-in if not have to. That being sayed, i think there could be other cards to considered better than that. Not going to say it's bad, just saying there could be some better options. I like cards that have multiple purposes, like Austere Command. That's way better against Karn and Sharuum, and often you can just wrath board and sometimes even get some profit from it (turn scion into Yosei or Keiga if there are creatures left).

Have you consired Trinket Mage? You could add toolbox, like Pithing Needle, Tormod's Crypt / Relic of Progenitus if needed. Also you could add some artifact lands if wanted. It also fetches Sol RIng (and Mana Crypt if runned).

There is another same type card haunted Crossroads. That could also be better for that job, that also ables to re-use dragons what you have already fetched by Scion. Also it doen't cost you life what you won't have too much usually when everybody gangs up against you :(

I was wondering that Magus of the Bazaar, that how much better would Bazaar of Bagdad be? Just would it be THAT better that you would want to spend 120-150€ for it or could you just choose to run Magus instead. I think i also need to try get somewhere cheap Sneak Attack, that card will be busted in this deck, im sure.

Couple more, how much better has Diamond Valley been versus Miren, the Moaning Well? And have already tested Tooth and Nail? That card would be sick when runned by Boseiju mana, and getting something like Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker + Blightsteel Colossus. But i guess that's the question when you are answering you wanna be douchebag or not.

Quick edit:

No show and tell? I can tell you that, that card is GOOD in this deck :) Yes, there could come some Eldrazi from other side of table, but usually my guy is better than theirs 90% of time. Good times when playing that, 1st turn blue dual, Mana Crypt -> Show and Tell. Meh. Add there blighsteel colossus and you are golden. Or hated out next game. ;)

Offline Profile