Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Jul-19 5:25 pm

Post subject: Wrath of Starke
AgePosted: 2014-Oct-26 2:05 pm 

Rebuilt my MRC Starke of Rath deck

Starke can use stack shenanigans with untaps to stay on my side of the battlefield. Treason effects give me first targets for Starke. I can use them to get him back in a pinch too.

The Starke Double-Tap:

Target an Indestructible or creature/artifact you control with Starke
With that on the stack, use an untap effect to untap Starke
Target a creature/artifact that you want to blow up.
The second Starke activation on the stack goes off and blows up the creature, transferring Starke to that controller
The first Starke activation then resolves and brings Starke back to your side.

Creature (11)
Aladdin
Bazaar Trader
Bloodshot Cyclops
Burnished Hart
Goblin Welder
Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
Kurkesh, Onakke Ancient
Metalworker
Molten Primordial
Starke of Rath
Zealous Conscripts

Instant (3)
Act of Aggression
Grab the Reins
Word of Seizing

Sorcery (12)
Act of Treason
Besmirch
Gamble
Harness by Force
Insurrection
Lose Calm
Mark of Mutiny
Mass Mutiny
Mob Rule
Scrap Mastery
Traitorous Blood
Twist Allegiance

Artifact (33)
Blinkmoth Urn
Caged Sun
Claws of Gix
Clock of Omens
Cold Storage
Darksteel Forge
Darksteel Ingot
Darksteel Plate
Extraplanar Lens
Forcefield
Gauntlet of Might
Gauntlet of Power
Gilded Lotus
Grim Monolith
Helm of Possession
Illusionist's Bracers
Lightning Greaves
Liquimetal Coating
Magewright's Stone
Mana Vault
Mox Opal
Oblivion Stone
Pyromancer's Goggles
Sol Ring
Staff of Domination
Swiftfoot Boots
Synod Sanctum
Tawnos's Coffin
Thousand-Year Elixir
Thran Dynamo
Torpor Orb
Umbral Mantle
Voltaic Key

Enchantment (1)
Blood Moon

Planeswalker (2)
Daretti, Scrap Savant
Ugin, the Spirit Dragon

Land (38)
Arcane Lighthouse
Darksteel Citadel
Diamond Valley
High Market
Homeward Path
Inventors' Fair
Mountain
Temple of the False God
Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Last edited by scatteredsun on 2017-Jan-24 8:40 am, edited 10 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Wrath of Starke
AgePosted: 2014-Oct-27 11:32 pm 

You need Homeward pathso badly in here...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-28 1:07 am 

I feel Glaring Spotlight might be a good card to have in here. Also, I feel like Darksteel Myr might be better replaced with some other indestructible artifact, or maybe Soul of New Phyrexia. It just does so little even when it's useful for Starke.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-28 3:27 am 

Odd, Homeward Path didn't make it over into this list. It's definitely in the deck. I'll fix!

Ya know, I had Glaring Spotlight in the maybe pile and I kept going back and forth on it. I'll keep it in my brain while playing a couple games. I have a whole stack of maybe cards I'll use as a "sideboard" to help evolve the deck.

But Darksteel Myr is my lil' buddy! I've done so much with him! I think Scuttling Doom Engine would be a good replacement.

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-29 3:58 am 

played three games last night. First two games I had mana issues (poorly shuffled new deck) the third though...wow what a game.

Trading Post was the all-star. Avarice Totem was MVP, especially with Trading Post :)

I had all sorts of fun shenanigans with Starke and Illusionist Bracers and Avarice Totem. I took one person out with a monstrified Colossus of Akros and a stolen Rafiq. The other two I had to whittle down and I stopped a lot of Reaper King issues with Torpor Orb. Trading Post played well there too. I stole a Restoration Angel and I put Splinter Twin on it. I had a good loop of "sac Torpor Orb, do something with 'twin Angel, sac twinned Angel, get torpor orb back"

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-29 10:56 am 

Okay I give up.... why the Reflecting Pool? :|

~ Rhys the Redeemed - Tokens... Why do they keep coming!?
~ Bosh, Iron Golem - Legend of the Iron Giants
~ Damia, Sage of Stone - All Creatures Great & Small

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-29 3:32 pm 

Ah hah! I must have brain farted reflecting pool for homeward path! I was wondering why path didn't show up in my list! Good catch thanks!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Nov-04 3:03 am 

Hm, so I got yelled at the other day for playing Blood Moon. This was from a guy that very rarely gets upset. Everyone else was ok with it. I may swap it out for Magus of the Moon. Easier to deal with.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Nov-04 3:48 am 

scatteredsun wrote:
Hm, so I got yelled at the other day for playing Blood Moon. This was from a guy that very rarely gets upset. Everyone else was ok with it. I may swap it out for Magus of the Moon. Easier to deal with.

This sounds like a rather harsh reaction from the player. Is Blood Moon common in your area or something? The reaction, based on your description of the player, sounds as if there is some other underlying problem.

Constant mass land destruction?-->Bad form.
Forcing players to utilize basic lands/mana rocks?-->Annoying, but manageable in nearly all the forms I can think of currently.

I'm mostly curious if there's a deeper explanation.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Nov-04 7:34 am 

To be fair, there are very very few Blood Moons run in our meta. People just aren't prepared to deal with it and it will shut some people out of the game. I used it to bork the blue player's blue mana base so I could cast a game winning Insurrection.

I honestly thought I'd get crap for playing Insurrection. I don't particularly like the card but it fits the theme here and is good for wrapping up long games. We have a bunch of sac outlets in our meta so most of the time, it just ends up being a wrath.

The person that got upset at Blood Moon is a very good, well respected player. He always has strong but fair EDH decks and is generally one of the better people to play with. This is why I am surprised at his reaction. He had very large number of non-basics in play. He compared it to Decree of Annihilation and Armageddon. In my experience, I've locked more people out of the game with Torpor Orb than I have with Blood Moon. The only reason I'm going to make the change is because I do respect his opinion.

I could use another wincon or two. I wouldn't mind having something other than Insurrection and Colossus of Akros.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Nov-04 8:17 am 

scatteredsun wrote:
To be fair, there are very very few Blood Moons run in our meta. People just aren't prepared to deal with it and it will shut some people out of the game. I used it to bork the blue player's blue mana base so I could cast a game winning Insurrection.

I honestly thought I'd get crap for playing Insurrection. I don't particularly like the card but it fits the theme here and is good for wrapping up long games. We have a bunch of sac outlets in our meta so most of the time, it just ends up being a wrath.

The person that got upset at Blood Moon is a very good, well respected player. He always has strong but fair EDH decks and is generally one of the better people to play with. This is why I am surprised at his reaction. He had very large number of non-basics in play. He compared it to Decree of Annihilation and Armageddon. In my experience, I've locked more people out of the game with Torpor Orb than I have with Blood Moon. The only reason I'm going to make the change is because I do respect his opinion.

I could use another wincon or two. I wouldn't mind having something other than Insurrection and Colossus of Akros.

Fair enough.
In the metas I have been able to play in, Blood Moon is also rather scarce. Unfortunately, I strongly disagree with it's comparison to Decree of Annihilation and Armageddon. It can lock unprepared people out of a game, but it very rarely locks everyone out of a game (especially in the same way Decree and Armageddon almost always does). This is, of course, just my experience. Due to this, some abuse of the card seems acceptable to me. Comparing it to some of the worst wreckers of fun still available in this format seems exaggerated at best.

I hope I can be considered as such a respected player someday, in as much as you appear to respect this player, but I hope you'll understand if I find the reaction to have quite the touch of ridiculous (which suggests to me there's something more to this player's reaction than only "that card is basically to Armageddon"). Blood Moon completely shuts down only the few decks which naturally require lots of non-basics--5-color and colorless--and catches some people sporting really expensive manabases on the side. Only 5-color and colorless can't exactly adapt; virtually every other deck can adapt in some way.

You know, I'm not certain why I'm riled up about this. I guess it just seems silly or something...
...anyway, I've put it in this spoiler so we don't have to look at it. I won't bring this up again.

As for additional win conditions, Scuttling Doom Engine is still a pretty strong card for this deck, and with Goblin Welder out becomes fairly silly.

I suppose there's also the classic Stalking Vengeance and Vicious Shadows, since you'll be stealing and sacrificing a lot.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Nov-04 8:34 am 

I'm going to find a spot for the doom engine. It's in my side pile for the deck.

It was odd to say the least. Maybe it was just a bad day for him or something. I'm in the same boat as you, I don't see it as being completely repressive. Also, now that I think about it, it does nothing to colorless decks except maybe remove some utility. (My nonbasics can be used cast my colorless cards? :) )

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Nov-04 8:43 am 

scatteredsun wrote:
Also, now that I think about it, it does nothing to colorless decks except maybe remove some utility. (My nonbasics can be used cast my colorless cards? :) )

Doh! :facepalm:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Nov-25 6:02 am 

-Savage Beating
-Insurrection
-Blood Moon
-Elixir of Immortality
-Sundial of the Infinite
-Nykthos, Shrine to Nix
-Stuffy Doll

+Daretti, Scraper Savant
+Vicious Shadows
+Bazaar Trader
+Scrap Mastery
+Arcane Lighthouse
+Arena of the Ancients
+Umbral Mantel

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Dec-05 7:52 am 

This deck is a lot of fun and always gets comments win or lose.

I need to find more untap effects! Definitely adding Magewright's Stone. I may add:
Clock of Omens
Hematite Talisman
Galvanic Key
Jandor's Saddlebags
Puppet Strings
Staff of Domination

Offline Profile