Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-06 7:46 pm

Post subject: Re: Playing with banned cards is fun and ok
AgePosted: 2019-Nov-05 11:04 am 

I feel like the title of this thread is sort of click-baity. Because what it should really say is "Playing with banned cards is fun and OK as long as your playgroup is fine with it". Which is what you're describing.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-05 3:13 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
I feel like the title of this thread is sort of click-baity. Because what it should really say is "Playing with banned cards is fun and OK as long as your playgroup is fine with it". Which is what you're describing.

i feel like its a fair point though. people get hung up on the rules and miss out on the "do whatever your playgroup finds fun" part and dont tweak accordingly

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-05 7:39 pm 

Playing with banned cards is one of the best aspects of EDH. In fact, I started playing EDH because Survival of the Fittest got banned in Legacy. In the context of playing cards that are on the EDH ban list, well, I think everyone should experiment with house rules and alternate formats at least occasionally. Personally I'd rather see Ashnod's Coupon than Primeval Titan, but I guess we don't have to play together.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-06 12:25 am 

Shabbaman wrote:
Playing with banned cards is one of the best aspects of EDH. In fact, I started playing EDH because Survival of the Fittest got banned in Legacy. In the context of playing cards that are on the EDH ban list, well, I think everyone should experiment with house rules and alternate formats at least occasionally. Personally I'd rather see Ashnod's Coupon than Primeval Titan, but I guess we don't have to play together.

Yeah, titan can be a drag, as can most of the banned list, but Library of alexandria? a mox or soemthing, if my firend had one and just wanted the chance to play it, id be down. i used to have a library once and i was always sad it wasnt useful. too bad for vintage, banned everywhere else

in some/most cases, it's about how a player USES a card, not about the card itsself.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-06 1:48 am 

What's the fair use of fast mana?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-06 3:31 am 

Shabbaman wrote:

If you open a precon and replace a basic land with a mox, you won't overpower the other precons.

If you know why a card is banned and avoid those situations, many cards can be fun. The ones that play poorly in the format overall are likely best avoided. We tried gifts ungiven, and it was no fun.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-06 3:59 am 

Playing a game of EDH or building a deck for it is more of an art than a science. And in that respect, the banned list is similar to a musician saying to avoid parallel fifths or a filmmaker keeping the camera straight. The rules are far from absolute or perfect, but following them will generally lead to the outcomes you want, and in order to break them you need to understand why they are there in the first place.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-06 7:43 am 

Shabbaman wrote:

Adding one mox of one color to an artifact deck just to up the artifact count in place of a land isnt crippling. Fast mana is widely available with non-banned cards like sol ring and Mox opal.

Also, not all groups have the same definition of fun, so there are other reasons where fair may not be an issue. Its about talking to your playgroup and coming to a consensus. The banned list is just a guideline and people follow it like strict law when it comes to removing cards but are often more flexible about banning more cards in a local group, when in reality its 2 sides of the same coin

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-06 8:00 am 

Shabbaman wrote:

Assuming you didn't intend that to say "there is no fair use of fast mana", i mean you probably meant that, but sarcasm doesn't work on teh internets right? So having no tutors and having to naturally draw into fast mana seems ok to me, to a certain density(having all the mox is a bit ott).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-07 5:18 am 

I've used Gifts Ungiven in the past and found it to be perfectly fair when you don't intentionally break it. For example, I used it in a deck to go find 4 removal spells, 2 went into the GY, and the other 2 were in my hand, to immediately deal with a couple of threats. Other times I've grabbed 4 creatures and been happy that I got 2 of them for 4 mana. Overall I found it a powerful-but-fair card. But this was in a deck that played little or no graveyard recursion and didn't play the Dark Depths/Gifts Ungiven combo. It was just a 4-mana "tutor two, lose two" card.

Once I learned that Gifts Ungiven was on the banned list (I didn't look to see if it was because at the time I wouldn't have considered it to be ban-worthy), I took it out to avoid any accusations of cheating, but in my playgroup, it never caused any problems.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-07 6:10 am 

Gifts Ungiven has the distinction(?) of being the only banned card I put in a deck without realising it was banned, for pretty much exactly the same reason.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-07 6:17 am 

MrMoustache wrote:
I've used Gifts Ungiven in the past and found it to be perfectly fair when you don't intentionally break it. For example, I used it in a deck to go find 4 removal spells, 2 went into the GY, and the other 2 were in my hand, to immediately deal with a couple of threats. Other times I've grabbed 4 creatures and been happy that I got 2 of them for 4 mana. Overall I found it a powerful-but-fair card. But this was in a deck that played little or no graveyard recursion and didn't play the Dark Depths/Gifts Ungiven combo. It was just a 4-mana "tutor two, lose two" card.

Once I learned that Gifts Ungiven was on the banned list (I didn't look to see if it was because at the time I wouldn't have considered it to be ban-worthy), I took it out to avoid any accusations of cheating, but in my playgroup, it never caused any problems.

That's interesting. My experience was it was too big of a momentum swing even when not really being abused. It just felt like it invalidated what happened before it was cast.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-07 9:02 am 

Dee123 wrote:
That's interesting. My experience was it was too big of a momentum swing even when not really being abused. It just felt like it invalidated what happened before it was cast.

My experience with it was if it resolved, the game was probably over. Very much would not want to see it again.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-07 9:15 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
My experience with it was if it resolved, the game was probably over. Very much would not want to see it again.
Aren't there lots of legal cards that match that description?

I think this goes to 'intentionally breaking' the card.

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-08 12:08 pm 

20MillionTrees wrote:
.. Anybody else have an experience like this? If not I highly recommend giving it a shot sometime if your playgroup is cool with it. Sure, the banlist has its uses but one of the best things about Commander is that it's a casual format and the rules can be adjusted to make the best experience possible.

I am hoping to find a play group soon, I just get out to the shops so infrequently. I have not been able to play really at all except Arena for a while.

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile