Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-19 6:02 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Throne of Eldraine (Spoilers)
AgePosted: 2019-Sep-19 6:21 pm 

But Underworld Connections doesn't feature a star destroyer.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-19 8:22 pm 

And for those of us like me that had no idea what the previous conversation meant:
Common
ImageImage
ImageImageImage

Rare
ImageImage
ImageImageImage

And my favorite so far (going straight into Gahiji) if it is legit...

Questing Beast 2GG
Legendary Creature - Beast MR

Vigilance, Deathtouch, Haste

Questing Beast can't be blocked by creatures with power 2 or less

Combat damage that would be dealt by creatures you control can't be prevented

Whenever Questing Beast deals combat damage to an opponent, it deals that much damage to target Planeswalker that player controls

4/4

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-20 6:40 am 

So... about that Hushbringer "art" anyone else find it completely jarring?

Retired:
Krenko, Mob Boss (Goblins)
Zedruu the Christmas Goat (group hug)
Ramses Overdark (Assassin Deck)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-20 7:34 am 

Bruticus wrote:
So... about that Hushbringer "art" anyone else find it completely jarring?

Jarring isn't quite the word I would use, but yes. It seems off.

As for the lands, Out of the common cycle; W, U and B will probably make it into my EDH decks. Out of the Rare cycle, I doubt I would use any of them except maybe the U castle.

On the G Castle, I have to ask, what were they thinking? At essentially "pay 5 for 6," it's the equivalent of "G,T: add GGG, only use this to cast creature spells." Pay 2 for 3 mana with a use limitation - hardly seems "rare-quality" or useful (except really niche color-fixing). I wonder what playtesting led to that decision.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-20 12:24 pm 

Viperion wrote:
specter404 wrote:
Are you talking about standard or EDH?

Commander these are better than a basic majority of the time. They enter untapped from all dual lands of the appropriate colour and give reasonable benefits. Locthwain drawing a card for 3 mana is quite good, the others are fine utility lands.

In standard, they're going to be good for most 1 or 2 colour decks, because there's so little downside. We are going to Theros, and if devotion, or something like it, isn't there I'll be very surprised. The current card design is pretty much screaming devotion, and so mono-colour decks are going to get a power bump.

I'm with your friend, at $2 preorder, I say buy your playsets now.

Lochtwhain costs 4 not three (1BB and tap) and does at least one (and probably more) damage to you. Underworld Connections is a better card than that.

Not when you have Vilis in play. Castle of Locthwain becomes 4, pay some life, draw a lot. Meanwhile, I've got enough durdly blue decks that Scry 2 is probably ok, even if it's kind of expensive. It's also the kind of effect that makes other strong cards like Sensei's Top or Oracle of Mul Daya much better.

The white castle is kinda meh, but Vitu-Ghazi, the City Tree is good enough, and a mono-white version seems fine. The red castle probably isn't great in EDH outside of some really specific builds, but I think it'll be great in standard.

And like specter said, Standard's going to push really hard on mono-colored decks, so these are likely to see a ton of play in 60 card decks.

The green one is still bad.

Questing Beast: "Because I've had enough of your shit, Spore Frog."

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-20 6:22 pm 

(Picking and choosing, for which I apologise, but you've summed up my thoughts quite nicely yourself here)
Kemev wrote:
Not when you have Vilis in play. Castle of Locthwain becomes 4, pay some life, draw a lot.

Scry 2 is probably ok, even if it's kind of expensive.

The white castle is kinda meh,

The red castle probably isn't great

The green one is still bad.

Yup you said it. Also lots of things become good with Vilis, a lot of which are a lot cheaper mana-wise.

Still not convinced.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-25 11:07 pm 

i was dumb and didnt preorder my set of the brawl decks yet, anyone see anywhere besides ebay that isnt out of stock? i friggin hate ebay

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-26 8:13 am 

Shoe wrote:
i was dumb and didnt preorder my set of the brawl decks yet, anyone see anywhere besides ebay that isnt out of stock? i friggin hate ebay

I stopped check when all my local stores were preselling all the decks at $55+. I'll wait for a second printing at that point, but a short print run for the first set of something you're trying to hype up seems awkward for WotC

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-26 8:55 am 

HoffOccultist wrote:
Shoe wrote:

I stopped check when all my local stores were preselling all the decks at $55+. I'll wait for a second printing at that point, but a short print run for the first set of something you're trying to hype up seems awkward for WotC

I contacted my LGS about these Brawl decks. I asked if they were going to have them, and if so how much they would be.

Their reply was "We will be carrying them, but we won't know the price until we have the decks in hand."

Sounds to me like they are wanting to charge way more than the $20 or so that these decks should be selling for. This isn't the first time they've done this, which is why I have absolutely zero problem buying my products elsewhere.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-26 9:03 am 

guess im hitting up target with my 10% red card discount on release day

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-26 9:26 am 

Shoe wrote:

Looks like Channelfireball has a few left at $35.

So I did a Sealed on Arena and went 6-3 with a B/r aggro deck it was pretty good overall. Smitten Swordmaster did some really good work. I ended up getting 2 of those and it hits hard.

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-26 2:07 pm 

Inkeyes22 wrote:
Shoe wrote:

Looks like Channelfireball has a few left at $35.

So I did a Sealed on Arena and went 6-3 with a B/r aggro deck it was pretty good overall. Smitten Swordmaster did some really good work. I ended up getting 2 of those and it hits hard.

what is retail price on them? is 35 a huge markup?

i mean, i know they killed msrp, but it still kinda exsists becquse big box stores

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-26 2:54 pm 

Shoe wrote:

i mean, i know they killed msrp, but it still kinda exsists becquse big box stores

Kinda but not really. There's a lot of variation in the kinds of pricing that different kinds of stores get from their wholesalers. A lot of people are still trying to figure out what works best for their business.

Shoe wrote:
is 35 a huge markup?

That's a loaded question... it depends on what you mean by huge. There are a lot of American stores that buy booster boxes at $79 and sell them for $100 ('cause they feel like they have to match Amazon pricing), so anything above a 25% mark-up seems "huge" to some customers.

If it makes you feel better, there's some rumbling that Wizards will print another batch of Brawl decks (although the rumor mill is pretty bad at guessing this sort of thing).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-26 9:47 pm 

Kemev wrote:
If it makes you feel better, there's some rumbling that Wizards will print another batch of Brawl decks (although the rumor mill is pretty bad at guessing this sort of thing).

A few days ago I saw someone from Wizards staff respond to this, so at least they are aware.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-26 9:56 pm 

Bought a box; opened the Collector Booster - DON'T waste your money. Total value of the cards in it: less than $20. Sure there are packs out there that will have a $60 Garruk or whatever, but out of the three packs I know have been opened, one broke even (just) and two were well below what shops are charging for them. They're a nice buy-a-box bonus, but not worth actually buying.

I did open some boosters (gonna draft the rest) and got a full art (non-foil) Royal Scions, so there's that. Nice looking card.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next