Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-16 10:01 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Throne of Eldraine (Spoilers)
AgePosted: 2019-Sep-17 1:16 pm 

Boo on the emphasized bit for keeping me from new toys to feed to Food Chain.

Gath Immortal wrote:
Twenty Kavus and a Dream is not a legacy deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-18 3:08 am 

kirkusjones wrote:
Boo on the emphasized bit for keeping me from new toys to feed to Food Chain.

Food Chain doesn't need another 24 potential targets (spoiled so far)to combo off, never mind 4x 1- drops and 8x 2-drops.
Having ready access to a 1 drop, nevermind multiples in older formats would just cause the card to spike, and warrant discussion across the formats it's playable in for how much more consistent it is to go infinite.

I know it's a bit taboo here, but it's already a linchpin of the top tiers of cEDH. While the RC is considering managing the competitive and casual sides of the house, the decks that rely on Food Chain in that realm of play become mostly unplayable without it. At the very least they drop down in power level considerably. General Tazri becomes unplayable for sure, the 5-color shell gets significantly worse along with Prossh. Access to 12x 1-2 drop 'castable from exile' creatures would undoubtedly cause Food Chain to get banned in cEDH.

It's for the best that it doesn't work without first casting the adventure side.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-18 7:23 am 

Oh, I know it's degenerate. I was speaking more from a former legacy player's perspective. Food Chain was a really fun deck in that format, but the DRS ban took it down a few notches, sadly. One drop Food Chain fuel would have helped. I played Manaless Dredge, too, so there's obviously something wrong with me.

Gath Immortal wrote:
Twenty Kavus and a Dream is not a legacy deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-18 9:06 am 

And here I was thinking MaRo always thought Lignify was a bend...

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-18 4:10 pm 

Nice, the kind of removal that makes it easy to argue for its inclusion in your enchantress deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-18 5:43 pm 

MaRo was asked about this (I asked him too but this isn't my question)

Apparently it's story spoilers which I don't actually believe (I don't believe it's a spoiler, that is to say)

Soooo

papillon94 asked: Oh I can already hear the barrage of asks about "BUT DIDN'T YOU SAY GREEN TRANSFORMING CREATURES WAS A BREAK!?" from people who seem to think you're some sort of absolute monarch. There are times I really don't envy your role of public face. That being said, Kenrith's Transformation. How'd the discussion on that go down in the Council of Colors?

WARNING: THRONE OF ELDRAINE STORY SPOILER

It was a pretty big discussion. There was a key story point where Oko turns the king into an Elk. The set design team wanted to capture the story point. The idea was a card that transformed a creature into a 3/3 Elk. Normally, the card would be blue, but the hole to fill it was in green.

Green does do transformation but normally only on its own creatures. A straight up spell that works on the opponent’s creatures is a break, but the proposal was an aura because in the story the spell gets undone.

We’d had auras which had completely neutered the creature turning it into a 0/4 or a land and those had been breaks, but a 3/3 was more substantial.

After much talk we decided it was more big bend than a break due to all the particulars and decided to allow it as it was key to communicating the story. (We don’t do big bends unless there is a strong set reason.)

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-19 2:38 am 

Image so this is the "new thing
" that MaRo was talking about that can help White in eternal formats (i.e. EDH)?

MaRo on Tumblr wrote:
maxbowarrow asked: You've mentioned white doing some minor new thing in ELD. Have we seen it yet?

I’ll be happy ever after once it’s previewed, so people will stop asking. : )

My guess would be the everybody draws part, as alternate win conditions have been around for a while. In a duel, it isn't great but can help you dig for answers, so I get it... but in multiplayer I am giving 3 cards and 15 life (or more)? Nah, if I really need card draw I'll add Blue or Black thanks. Is anybody excited about this? I mean, I don't hate it but I don't think I will be playing it except for a wierd alt win con deck like the one listed here: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-preview/happily-ever-after-2019-09-19

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-19 5:21 am 

There are only eight card types aren't there? Land, Creature, Artifact, Enchantment, Planeswalker, Instant, Sorcery, and Tribal?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-19 8:07 am 

Viperion wrote:
There are only eight card types aren't there? Land, Creature, Artifact, Enchantment, Planeswalker, Instant, Sorcery, and Tribal?

Those are the only ones that can be in your deck. There are some other types like Scheme and Conspiracy that only live in the command zone.

Riku: Pump Spells
Teneb: Life Manipulation
Kiki-Jiki: Big Red
Geth: Nim
Kodama of the North Tree: Hard Mode Voltron
Nin: Elementals
Sram: Jankstorm
Zur: Zombies
Rhys the Redeemed: Aura Voltron
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh: Chandras
Ojutai, Soul of Winter: Tap Out Control
Alesha: Allies
Inalla: Treasures
Vial Smasher: Lava Axes
Atraxa: Counterless Keywords
Ludevic and Tymna: Curses

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-19 9:06 am 

Coco wrote:
Viperion wrote:

Those are the only ones that can be in your deck. There are some other types like Scheme and Conspiracy that only live in the command zone.

CR (20190823) says:
Quote:
300.1. The card types are artifact, conspiracy, creature, enchantment, instant, land, phenomenon, plane, planeswalker, scheme, sorcery, tribal, and vanguard.

Emphasis mine.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-19 9:31 am 

Right so those 8 are the only ones that can be on the battlefield or in your graveyard.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-19 12:55 pm 

Viperion wrote:
There's no dual rare land cycle. The rare land cycle are the "if you control three <basics of the same type> this comes in untapped" lands (Witch's Cottage etc)

Ah. I'm glad I was wrong on this.

I think I got confused where the Witch's Cottage is part of the uncommon cycle with a basic land type, most of which are pretty good, and then the rare cycle is the Castle of whatever. The Castles are pretty varied; the blue and black ones seem awesome, red seems good in 60-card decks, and then white and green are pretty meh.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-19 1:02 pm 

I think they're (the Castles) all pretty shitty actually. I have a friend who's like "they're all good and they'll be in top 8 deck lists" and we both are 100% convinced the other guy is flat out wrong.

I think the new red "check for three" land is better than the white token making Castle.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-19 2:26 pm 

Are you talking about standard or EDH?

Commander these are better than a basic majority of the time. They enter untapped from all dual lands of the appropriate colour and give reasonable benefits. Locthwain drawing a card for 3 mana is quite good, the others are fine utility lands.

In standard, they're going to be good for most 1 or 2 colour decks, because there's so little downside. We are going to Theros, and if devotion, or something like it, isn't there I'll be very surprised. The current card design is pretty much screaming devotion, and so mono-colour decks are going to get a power bump.

I'm with your friend, at $2 preorder, I say buy your playsets now.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Sep-19 2:40 pm 

specter404 wrote:
Are you talking about standard or EDH?

Commander these are better than a basic majority of the time. They enter untapped from all dual lands of the appropriate colour and give reasonable benefits. Locthwain drawing a card for 3 mana is quite good, the others are fine utility lands.

In standard, they're going to be good for most 1 or 2 colour decks, because there's so little downside. We are going to Theros, and if devotion, or something like it, isn't there I'll be very surprised. The current card design is pretty much screaming devotion, and so mono-colour decks are going to get a power bump.

I'm with your friend, at $2 preorder, I say buy your playsets now.

Lochtwhain costs 4 not three (1BB and tap) and does at least one (and probably more) damage to you. Underworld Connections is a better card than that.

Last edited by Viperion on 2019-Sep-19 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next