Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-06 10:31 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Epic Games
AgePosted: 2012-Jun-08 1:45 am 

If you wanna funky game try archenemy commander, they are relatively amusing.

amusing story of my own.

my playing vamp tribal, olivia voldaren, against sharuum and kresh.

long story short kresh has a hellkite overlord out swinging with a loxodon warhammer making sure the roaches don't even survive, im on like 6 life, sharuum on 15 and kresh is sitting on about 70 odd by this point. Im left with arings of brighthearth, doubling cube, blood artist (cheated out) need a miracle. My hand has nothing in it, then I remember my GY has increasing ambition in it.

I double-double my mana using the cube and rings floating me to like 60 mana cast the ambition from my yard, sharuum cant respond as he got empty hand also. I look for blood tribute and bond of agony, tap the blood artist with the blood tribute targeting kresh, gain half his life then using bond of agony sac all but 5 life with most of my remaining mana and kill the table off.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jun-08 6:36 am 

thedarkheart wrote:
I double-double my mana using the cube and rings floating me to like 60 mana

Rings of Brighthearth specifically don't copy mana abilities. Doubling Cube's ability can't be copied by Rings.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jun-08 6:38 am 

oooh apologies I thought it could.

*doesnt tell playgroup I messed up*

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jun-08 7:17 pm 

intreped wrote:
Malekoda wrote:
I want to combine Planechase with Commander, but I'm not sure I want to have another game like that for the foreseable future.

In my experience, Commandchase games go about like that one (wherein one player dominates all the others) about 40% of the time, have all players more-or-less equally affected (positively or negatively) by the planes 50% of the time, and players just forget the planes are even there about 10% of the time. So it sounds like you might want to stick to just Commander or Planechase, not both. On the other hand, the outrageously dominated games usually end pretty quickly, so you get more time playing fun balanced games even if you play slightly fewer of them.

My Commanderchase games tend to balance the deck powers for the most part (the OP decks still retain a slight edge though). None of our decks were tuned to end the game by turn six, short of a god hand, but with Planechase, we had a healthy mix of ten minute games and five hour games.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jun-11 8:38 pm 

So friday night I got to cast the Primal Surge that I had just shoehorned into my Animar deck. Put a good 50 or so permanents into play. Unfortunately I forgot about the Regal Force in the deck, and that the draw isn't optional...

Luckily I had just enough cards left to wind up with 3 cards left in my library, and both Urabrask and Maelstrom Wanderer on the field, so it ended in my favor, but I'm thinking about taking one or the other of those 2 out, just in case.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jun-11 10:55 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
So friday night I got to cast the Primal Surge that I had just shoehorned into my Animar deck. Put a good 50 or so permanents into play. Unfortunately I forgot about the Regal Force in the deck, and that the draw isn't optional...

Luckily I had just enough cards left to wind up with 3 cards left in my library, and both Urabrask and Maelstrom Wanderer on the field, so it ended in my favor, but I'm thinking about taking one or the other of those 2 out, just in case.

I think the reason I already have gotten tired of that card is that the same guy runs it in two decks, both with Warstorm Surge and, at most, a handful of non-permanent spells. Though I had a fun time flashing in a Witchbane Orb last time he cast the spell just to cover my ass in case he hit it, which he did. The two other people in the game were more than rooting for me after his predictable play. Go Blue Sun's Zenith into a Dream Hallsed Windfall that was Mirari'd when he didn't have enough mana to haste through my pillow fortress.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jun-17 4:11 am 

So, I don't think I have ever seen a game with so many board sweepers happen throughout. Rafiq, Sedris, Mimeoplasm, Ruhan, and me as my gimmicky trial Sharuum.

So, after a fair bit of play and me falling behind in board position, about 4 board sweepers have gone off, placing a hefty amount of creatures in everyones bins with me finally developing something, when Mimeoplasm casts Living Death. Lots of fatting hit the table again, with Mime landing lots of sacrifice triggers and graveyard entering creature abilities, there is now a Prince of Thralls in play, and various other brutal problems. Me? I'm left with a Augury Owl and a Baleful Strix with a few misc artifacts out that are mostly low cost. So, triggers start going on the stack and I am the last person before Mimeoplasms triggers resolve. I decide to, intelligently, stack mine so that the Owl goes before the Strix and what do I see three cards down? Devastation Tide and, oh look! An island and a swamp untapped. Placing it on the top and then drawing off, as it's officially the first card I drew this turn.

So, effectively, creatures in GY's all got sent to peoples hands with nowhere near enough mana to cast more than one or two at a time, on top of all their other stuff. I didn't win the game, but that move certainly put me back into it as it brought everyone else down to a crawl.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jun-17 9:44 am 

What I initially thought Ukkmaster wrote:
tribal Sharuum.
I would have given you a triple high five.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jun-17 11:24 am 

Sphinxes are The Real Deal. Isperia, Uthuun, Chancellor of the Spires, and of course Magister Sphinx and Consecrated Sphinx are all really good. Unfortunately, to run "true" tribal (1/3rd of your deck), you would need to run 33 Sphinxes + your General, and even including Changelings and Mistform Ultimus there are only 36 total, so you would probably be running some chaff until more good Sphinxes are printed. That said, I would rather see a Sphinx deck which ignored the "true" tribal requirement and instead focused on a flavor theme with riddles and mini-games (Truth or Tale, Liar's Pendulum, etc.)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jun-17 3:25 pm 

intreped wrote:
Sphinxes are The Real Deal. Isperia, Uthuun, Chancellor of the Spires, and of course Magister Sphinx and Consecrated Sphinx are all really good. Unfortunately, to run "true" tribal (1/3rd of your deck), you would need to run 33 Sphinxes + your General, and even including Changelings and Mistform Ultimus there are only 36 total, so you would probably be running some chaff until more good Sphinxes are printed. That said, I would rather see a Sphinx deck which ignored the "true" tribal requirement and instead focused on a flavor theme with riddles and mini-games (Truth or Tale, Liar's Pendulum, etc.)

That deck would be fun as hell to play. I should make that.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jun-17 3:28 pm 

Sphinx of the Magosi is GOOD sphinx too!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jun-17 7:54 pm 

While a Sphinx deck would be kind of neat, I do not have nearly the cards to do so in my current situation, though it might be neat to try that out. Right now, I am surrounding it around a blinking theme and last night it proved how resilient the deck is, unless trample effects are running abound, in which I am then in a great deal of trouble. Also discovered that while my stuff is frequently a difficult target, I need more offense to throw at people and I don't have a Magister Sphinx to back up to against life gain troubles. Maybe more unblockable effects would be good for my general?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jun-18 2:29 pm 

I can't believe the luck a person in our playgroup has with Mayael whenever he's in a tight spot. The first time I saw him play, he managed to get a Terastodon in the same round that someone in the table had managed to get Teferi + Knowledge Pool online. Today I was playing with my Ertai deck for a change and it contains a few dick-ish moves that aim at locking out opponents. When I got Hex Parasite + Decree of Silence online, he cheated a Terastodon in with Mayael. When I went Enchanted Evening + Cleansing Meditation, he got a Moldgraf Monstrosity in response. I actually had to scoop to that since I couldn't get a finisher online fast enough.

Ghave, Guru of Spores Combo
Oros, the Avenger Damage Tricks
Rafiq of the Many Exalted Equips
Ertai, the Corrupted Lock/Combo
Zedruu the Greathearted Grouphug
Adun Oakenshield Relentless Rats
Thraximundar Creatureless
Uril, the Miststalker No Artifacts
Omnath, Locus of Mana Big Green
Darien, King of Kjeldor Soldier Tokens

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jun-30 2:09 pm 

And another:

We were playing with Kozilek, Darien and Sen Triplets (I think) as generals with Planechase in the mix. The first plane flipped... Well, it was a phenomenon. The one that's essentially Show and Tell. I got a Daru Warchief and the Kozilek player started with a turn 0 Karn Liberated. Not too hard to guess who won, eh? Although he did reset the game with Karn at 20 Loyalty and won with my Avacyn that I had discarded for it. Although it was really squandered for us, just imagine the feeling of flipping that in the beginning of the game.

Ghave, Guru of Spores Combo
Oros, the Avenger Damage Tricks
Rafiq of the Many Exalted Equips
Ertai, the Corrupted Lock/Combo
Zedruu the Greathearted Grouphug
Adun Oakenshield Relentless Rats
Thraximundar Creatureless
Uril, the Miststalker No Artifacts
Omnath, Locus of Mana Big Green
Darien, King of Kjeldor Soldier Tokens

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jun-30 2:27 pm 

@VariSami - A year or so ago we were playing with Planechase. I don't remember the generals (irrelevant), but we started on Goat plane. One guy drops Gaea's Cradle turn one and a Prime Time turn two. That game didn't last long....

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next