Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-09 5:10 am

Post subject: Epic Games
AgePosted: 2012-Apr-04 8:40 am 

Last night, I was involved in an epic game of commander. The type of game that remind me of how awesome commander can be.

There were 3 Blightsteel colossus out on turn 5... and the game lasted another 3 hours.There were 2 timetwisters, a time spiral, and a couple of copies of hypergenesis cast. We had someone use mindslaver on another player and forcing him to cast Hatred for all but one life, killing a third player... and then the 1 life player almost completing an epic comeback anyway, on the back of the longest living Platinum Angel (Hexproof and indestructible) I've ever seen. He DID manage to outlive the mindslaver player. lol
It had a mono white player getting to over 180 life whilst hiding behind a Crackdown and Aurification that survived almost the entire game.
It had a Scion of the Ur-Dragon becoming first a Frog, then a Golden Wall Frog (due to Aurification), then just a golden wall dragon. Later on, due to a conspiracy, the (likely very confused) dragon king became a Progenitous, countering an Evangelize with buyback.
At other points, there was an Ulamog that became a 3/1 flying bird, then a 3/1 flying dragon, then finally a face down 3/1 flying dragon with no other abilities. Poor guy was so confused he was prolly glad when he finally got exiled by final judgement.
We had a Life's Finale targeting the dragon lord to get the last three monster creatures out of his deck... and then three seconds later Scion turned into Kozilek at EOT and everything shuffled back in.
The aforementioned Mindslavered player's epic comeback was eventually thwarted by Scion turning into a Teneb, stealing his Rune-Scarred Demon, and Tutoring for a clone effect to copy the mono white player's Elesh Norn. The Norns died, but not before taking down the Indestructible Shrouded Platinum Angel. Without the reality warping powers of the Angel, reality realized that, hey, that guy's at -25 life! ... and thus he spontaneously ceased to exist.
The ending was pretty awesome and amusing too. A stolen stolen Oblivion Stone put a fate counter on it's owner's (not controller's) Archon of Justice at EOT. Then, Scion became moltensteel, got pumped with, and made indestructible with Spearbreaker. Then O Stone got popped. (Killing off a Platinum Emperion so life could be payed into the Scion-Turned-Moltensteel). Finally, a Demonic Dread prevented the Archon from blocking, so Scion swung in for lethal commander, taking it's controller to 3 life. The mono white player's lone white mana and lone card in hand turned out to be a bluff, so the epic game ended there. (If it hadn't been a bluff, the Archon would have won the game the next turn, which would have also been hilarious.)

Anyone else have stories of how epic games reminded them of why they love this format?

Alesha, She who Smiles at Death.....Atraxa, Praetors' Voice.....Eight-and-a-Half-Tails.....Gonti, Lord of Luxury.....Karametra, God of Harvests.....Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker.....Kozilek, the Great Distortion.....Prime Speaker Zegana.....Rubinia Soulsinger.....Thrasios, Triton Hero + Vial Smasher the Fierce

My general commander philosophy: Using your opponent's degenerate cards against them is far more satisfying than playing degenerate cards yourself.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Epic Games
AgePosted: 2012-Apr-04 10:09 am 

Man, the last truly epic game was a while back when I built the Garza Zol vampire tribal deck. It was the first time out for that deck too, so it was even more epic for that reason. Anyway it was me with Garza, against a table of Thraximundar, Zedruu, and Ghave (both heavily modified and improved versions of the precons).

Ghave showed his strength by being fairly dominant and threatening early on, while everyone else was mostly just setting up and being defensive. At around the two hour mark, Ghave finally runs into a land pocket and after drawing more land than business starts to run out of steam. Me and Thrax jump in and take advantage of his faltering to take him down, since he'd been Threat #1 for most of the game. Ghave gets tucked, which pisses the player off a bit, but he's actually kinda thankful for the shuffle effect... then proceeds to topdeck another land!

I stear the game toward me and Thrax going straight for Ghave's jugular, while Zedruu pillow forts behind a Ghostly Prison and a Propaganda (both at once). Once the Thrax player seems like he's on track to take down Ghave, I begin to set up a massive takedown of Thrax, while he's distracted.

Soon, Ghave is done for, scooping after drawing even more land, having no permenants in play besides land, and no cards in hand that weren't land or mana rocks. Unfortunately I was counting on Thrax being distracted for one more turn, and wasn't QUITE ready to stab Thrax in the back. Ghave's scooping forced me to begin my plan a turn early, so I couldn’t do what I was setting up (I don’t fully remember what all it was, but it involved using Captivating Vampire to steal Thrax, at least). Also, Zedruu got bored and killed one of my Vampires just to avoid having to discard a card at her EOT.

So, for the next hour the game is basically Garza Zol vs Thrax, two Haste-y Grixis generals going head to head, and over the course of an hour or so we each get in enough hits with our respective generals that we’re both at 18 to 20 General Damage, so one more hit from either side and the game is over. Somehow, by some miracle of topdecking and desperation-fueld ingenuity we’re both somehow able to keep the other side’s general from connection for at least 8 or 9 turn cycles!

Occasionally Zedruu would run interference, as she was setting up her own hopeful win, but needed us to keep hammering at each other while she set up. She saved each of us from instant death at least once, but usually we were somehow saving ourselves most of the time. At one point I had to play a Vesuvan Shapeshifter face down, and flip it over to copy Thrax as that player entered his combat step. Any other clone effect wouldn’t have worked, as I would have had to cast it on my own turn, and Thrax’s player would just recast his general and killed me. Go Clone-with-Morph!

Finally, it looks pretty apparent that I’m pulling ahead and the Thrax player is now in top-deck mode, and looking pretty desperate. I go for the kill and Zedruu intervenes to save his bacon, which kinda ticks me off a bit, and perplexes Thrax. After my turn, with Thrax still alive, it’s now Zedruu’s turn and she dumps a huge handful of creatures to the board, including Angel of Strife and Windborn Muse, along with a couple other highly defensive creatures. She passes, and Thrax takes his turn, topdecking something pretty awesome that I can’t remember, but it looks like he only needs a couple of turns to push through Zedruu’s defenses.

However, Zedruu untaps, makes another creature or two, then taps out for Insurrection. Game over for Thrax, Zedruu wins it all!

Sure some of you might feel that it’s more yawn-inducing because it was Insurrection, and I get that, but none of us had EVER seen the Zedruu deck come anywhere near that close to winning, let alone actually pulling it off! It was an epic victory for that deck and that player, and she pretty much beat us with jedi mind tricks more than any card or mechanic in her deck! We all blindly played right into her plan, and the saddest thing was I didn’t even notice that she was doing the EXACT same thing to me and Thrax that I was previously doing to Thrax and Ghave! The Student surpasses the Master, as it were…

Even though I ultimately lost, and it was a four-and-a-half hour game, which I usually hate, it was still one of the most fun and epic games ever. I literally spent two hours on the edge of my seat, as I was one or two points of general damage away from dying to Thraximundar, a general that is VERY hard to ward off for repeated attacks. When I finally lost it was an equal mix of disappointment and relief – I really though I had the win in the bag, but either way I was just glad that the freaking TENSION was over and I could breathe normally!!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-04 10:23 am 

The majority of the games last night were the LGS owner testing his new Sasaya deck and flipping her on turn 3-5 then proceeding to win the next turn. Not very epic... but at least the store is named Epic. Does that count?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-04 11:34 am 

Epsilon wrote:
The majority of the games last night were the LGS owner testing his new Sasaya deck and flipping her on turn 3-5 then proceeding to win the next turn. Not very epic... but at least the store is named Epic. Does that count?

Really? Sasaya decks really don't tend to be that consistent. I mean, yeah, she can do some pretty bonkers stuff, but the deck usually only has 1-2 non land cards in a hand, so it's pretty easy to disrupt her, and pretty hard for her to recover from disruption, since she's FAR some likely to draw land (or land fetch) then gas.
Sure, if you let silly stuff like Howling Mine effects get back to her, she's more then likely going to win, but after the first time you play her you should realize that what are normally "group hug" effects are 10 times stronger for her and just kill them.

EDIT: Or just be mean and tuck Sasaya. Tuck is pretty brutal against that deck.

Alesha, She who Smiles at Death.....Atraxa, Praetors' Voice.....Eight-and-a-Half-Tails.....Gonti, Lord of Luxury.....Karametra, God of Harvests.....Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker.....Kozilek, the Great Distortion.....Prime Speaker Zegana.....Rubinia Soulsinger.....Thrasios, Triton Hero + Vial Smasher the Fierce

My general commander philosophy: Using your opponent's degenerate cards against them is far more satisfying than playing degenerate cards yourself.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-04 11:43 am 

2v1(Child of Alara) trying to kill Child who kept recurring Artistan Of Kozilek with Stronghold to get back Charnelhoard Wurm every turn. Killing both creatures every turn with miracle topdecks and then doing it all over again for 10 turns before getting kicked out of store late night.

About two months ago.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-04 12:36 pm 

kaldare wrote:
Epsilon wrote:

Really? Sasaya decks really don't tend to be that consistent. I mean, yeah, she can do some pretty bonkers stuff, but the deck usually only has 1-2 non land cards in a hand, so it's pretty easy to disrupt her, and pretty hard for her to recover from disruption, since she's FAR some likely to draw land (or land fetch) then gas.
Sure, if you let silly stuff like Howling Mine effects get back to her, she's more then likely going to win, but after the first time you play her you should realize that what are normally "group hug" effects are 10 times stronger for her and just kill them.

EDIT: Or just be mean and tuck Sasaya. Tuck is pretty brutal against that deck.

It's possible he was just insanely lucky. *shrug* Every game had a Tooth and Nail, Gelatenous Genesis, Wolfbriar Elemental, Green Sun's Zenith, or some other form of bomb played the turn she flipped or the turn after with Howling Mine, Font of Mythos, Horn of Greed, etc in play already. No one was playing blue to counter/tuck. The "answers" I had weren't enough when I had them (mono black). Black Sun's Zenith/Mutilate on turn 6 isn't going to kill 30 30/30 oozes. I did Ashes to Ashes his TnN targets one game only to have him follow it up with something else the next turn.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-04 12:48 pm 

Epsilon wrote:
Howling Mine, Font of Mythos, Horn of Greed

Those have to die REAL QUICK or you're prolly toast. Luckily, it's quite unlikely that she draws more then one such effect, so killing one is really all you need to do to stall her.

Epsilon wrote:
(mono black)

That's your issue... Black and/or red decks aren't usually going to work very well aganst her. Blue works REALLY well, and white is pretty good too. Green is OK... As long as someone can kill the nonsense she plays the first turn she flips, the green player can prolly kill the essence. It's not easy to flip her again quickly after that whilst still having any threats to cast. Well, unless you ignored my advice and let the mass draw engine live... Then you're screwed. :D :lol:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-04 12:54 pm 

Exact opposite of an Epic Game:
Me, playing Mayael the Anima, single opponent playing mono-Red.

Turn 1: Land, Sol Ring, Signet
Turn 2, Land, Gilded Lotus
Turn 3, Land, T&N w Entwine, get Akroma, Angel of Wrath and Battlegrace Angel or something else...
Opponent fails to topdeck Duplicant, scoops. Still, it WAS fun getting to do that once.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-04 1:01 pm 

Someone else's Epic Game:

Me playing I don't remember what, vs. Riku copy-everything and Kaalia cheatyface. (4th player was already taken out, not relevant.)

Anyway, we all had already learned that you NEVER EVER let the Riku player untap with his General in play. PERIOD. So Riku had died, a BUNCH. I should note up front that the Riku player doesn't even own a copy of Prime Time... yet the game had gone on long enough that this turn happened:

Riku player cast Riku for NINETEEN mana, then hardcasts Magmatic Force, copying it with Riku, then drops Phyrexian Metamorph copying Magmatic Force, copying it with Riku. He started the turn with ZERO non-land permanents, ended the turn wtih Riku and four Magmatic Forces, started slinging 12 total damage around per upkeep...

Game lasted another 30 minutes, but the Riku player still won.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-04 1:06 pm 

thaumaturge wrote:
Exact opposite of an Epic Game:
Me, playing Mayael the Anima, single opponent playing mono-Red.

Turn 1: Land, Sol Ring, Signet
Turn 2, Land, Gilded Lotus
Turn 3, Land, T&N w Entwine, get Akroma, Angel of Wrath and Battlegrace Angel or something else...
Opponent fails to topdeck Duplicant, scoops. Still, it WAS fun getting to do that once.

Yeah, I had one like that a couple weeks ago. In a 5 player game, the Ghave player (going first, no less) goes
Turn 1: (Some Green Land), Mana Crypt, Sol Ring, Grim Monolith
Turn 2: (Some Green Land), Tooth and Nail. Into Dark Mikeus and Trisk. *Sigh*... yeah, that was worth shuffling up for. :facepalm:

Two games later he tried the same thing on turn 3, but I had commandeer for the bastard. (Getting Ulamog and Glen Elendra Archmage) Yeah, he got Ulamoged on my turn, and guess what? He rage quit. :facepalm: The game lasted another hour and a half, and was quite enjoyable after he was gone. lol

thaumaturge wrote:
Riku player cast Riku for NINETEEN mana, then hardcasts Magmatic Force, copying it with Riku, then drops Phyrexian Metamorph copying Magmatic Force, copying it with Riku. He started the turn with ZERO non-land permanents, ended the turn wtih Riku and four Magmatic Forces, started slinging 12 total damage around per upkeep...

...He had 32 land out? Was their Join Forces shenanigans involved? Or did someone else have a Mana Flare or something?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-04 1:11 pm 

kaldare wrote:
thaumaturge wrote:

...He had 32 land out? Was their Join Forces shenanigans involved? Or did someone else have a Mana Flare or something?

some Prime Time action somewhere?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-04 2:38 pm 

Me as Rasputin vs Aminar Pure Creature (I mean it. He had nothing but creatures and lands) vs Omnath semi-goodstuff Stomp vs Garza Zol CA.

Game starts off with Omnath and Aminar ramping shit out very, very fast and Garza and I can barely keep up. They then realize that we aren't threats and focus on each other. Being 3-colors and having more removal, Aminar starts to get the upper hand. Then Omnath T&Ns out PT and Avenger to bring the game back into balance. Meanwhile, Garza is setting out a couple of group hug cards, and I am just doing my own thing for the most part.

The massive turning point when Garza RoR'd the Titan, immediately followed by Consecrated Sphinx. Since he had Font and H. Mine out, he was drawing 8 cards during each opponent's turn. However, I couldn't do anything to stop his Sphinx, so we pretty much seemed screwed. I got myself a wrath two turns later, but he had a massive hand and R. Tower out, so he had a pretty good chance of victory.

Omnath defeats Aminar with Gen damage a couple turns later. Garza uses Shattering Spree on my Duplicant (forgot what it had copied) and Omnath's Greaves, then uses Phthisis on Omnath to kill his player. He then plays a bunch of monsters, swings with his General (which had the green/black sword btw), hits me, and says go. I get a lucky break by pulling Mindslaver, cast it, and start a mini counter war which I win via Flusterstorm. I still have mana to sac it, and do so. Thanks to H mine, I draw two tutors. I use them both to get Damnation and Cunning Wish. I cast Damnation, drop a Tormod's Crypt, and use the Wish. With it, i search my trade binder for One With Nothing, cast it, and then exile his graveyard with the Crypt.

I then go on to win with general damage.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-04 9:01 pm 

Grand_Abolisher wrote:
I get a lucky break by pulling Mindslaver, cast it, and start a mini counter war which I win via Flusterstorm. I still have mana to sac it, and do so. Thanks to H mine, I draw two tutors. I use them both to get Damnation and Cunning Wish. I cast Damnation, drop a Tormod's Crypt, and use the Wish. With it, i search my trade binder for One With Nothing, cast it, and then exile his graveyard with the Crypt.

Wait, was all of this on the Mindslaver'ed player's turn? Did you use his Cunning Wish from his hand, and go through *your* trade binder? I'm not much for using Wishes w/o sideboards, but even if allowed to use an entire collection, it wasn't his cards that you went for. Dirty pool, sir.

LOL, even so, it sounds like it was a really good game, though.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-05 5:26 am 

kaldare wrote:
No he had about 8 to 10 mana from artifact mana - Sol Ring, signets, gilded lotus etc... He might have cast Mana Reflection that turn, but I'm pretty sure we blew it up earlier in the game. It was just a REALLY long game, and he did cast at least 3 or 4 ramp spells too.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-05 1:00 pm 

Izzet or Izzn't wrote:
Grand_Abolisher wrote:
I get a lucky break by pulling Mindslaver, cast it, and start a mini counter war which I win via Flusterstorm. I still have mana to sac it, and do so. Thanks to H mine, I draw two tutors. I use them both to get Damnation and Cunning Wish. I cast Damnation, drop a Tormod's Crypt, and use the Wish. With it, i search my trade binder for One With Nothing, cast it, and then exile his graveyard with the Crypt.

Wait, was all of this on the Mindslaver'ed player's turn? Did you use his Cunning Wish from his hand, and go through *your* trade binder? I'm not much for using Wishes w/o sideboards, but even if allowed to use an entire collection, it wasn't his cards that you went for. Dirty pool, sir.

LOL, even so, it sounds like it was a really good game, though.

Yeah, the ruling for Wishes that we use at our LGS is whatever you have on you, but it can't be banned (including the LGS's house rules), illegal in your general's colors, or already present in the deck. Also, you have to put the wish in the "exiled from the game until it is over" zone so that cards like Riftsweeper don't end up fucking everyone over.

Offline Profile