Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-18 5:09 am

Post subject: Breya, Etherium Shaper (Post - War of the Spark)
AgePosted: 2019-May-19 6:15 am 

Commander - (1)
1 Breya, Etherium Shaper

Creatures - (19)
1 Goblin Welder
1 Grand Architect
1 Sydri, Galvanic Genius
1 Arcum Dagsson
1 Hangarback Walker
1 Walking Ballista
1 Arcbound Worker
1 Arcbound Ravager
1 Corridor Monitor
1 Etherium Sculptor
1 Pili-Pala
1 Spellskite
1 Steel Overseer
1 Master Transmuter
1 Phyrexian Metamorph
1 Kuldotha Forgemaster
1 Sharuum the Hegemon
1 Memnarch
1 Mycosynth Golem

Instants - (13)
1 Pact of Negation
1 Enlightened Tutor
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Deprive
1 Dramatic Reversal
1 Familiar's Ruse
1 Hurkyl's Recall
1 Force of Negation
1 Second Sunrise
1 Unwind
1 Whir of Invention
1 Foil
1 Force of Will

Sorceries - (4)
1 Dance of the Manse
1 Saheeli's Directive
1 Trash for Treasure
1 Behold the Beyond

Artifacts - (26)
1 Lotus Petal
1 Animation Module
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Skullclamp
1 Sol Ring
1 Arcane Signet
1 Cranial Plating
1 Fellwar Stone
1 Golden Egg
1 Isochron Scepter
1 Nim Deathmantle
1 Sword of the Meek
1 Thopter Foundry
1 Time Sieve
1 Ashnod's Altar
1 Chromatic Lantern
1 Commander's Sphere
1 Phyrexian Altar
1 Aetherflux Reservoir
1 Krark-Clan Ironworks
1 Uwinding Clock
1 Conjurer's Closet
1 Gilded Lotus
1 Bolas's Citadel
1 Mycosynth Lattice
1 Darksteel Forge

Enchantments - (2)
1 Mirrodin Besieged
1 Smothering Tithe

Planeswalkers - (6)
1 Aminatou, the Fateshifter
1 Saheeli, Sublime Artificer
1 Daretti, Scrap Savant
1 Nicol Bolas, Dragon-God
1 Tezzeret, Artifice Master
1 Tezzeret, Master of the Bridge

Lands - (29)
2 Plains
2 Island
2 Swamp
2 Mountain
1 Command Tower
1 Darksteel Citadel
1 Ancient Den
1 Seat of the Synod
1 Vault of Whispers
1 Great Furnace
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Watery Grave
1 Blood Crypt
1 Sacred Foundry
1 Godless Shrine
1 Steam Vents
1 Glacial Fortress
1 Drowned Catacomb
1 Dragonskull Summit
1 Clifftop Retreat
1 Isolated Chapel
1 Sulfur Falls
1 Buried Ruin
1 Inventors' Fair
1 Academy Ruins

One of my friends wanted to rebuild Breya, Etherium Shaper given some recent support in War of the Spark. As you already know the deck strategy is to get off infinite combos with Breya, Etherium Shaper to win the game through sac outlets. The original build I had for this contained a lot of expensive cards such as Mox Diamond, Chrome Mox, and Mox Opal so I swapped them out for budget alternatives with Fellwar Stone, Commander's Sphere, and Phyrexian Altar.

Now I know what you're probably thinking, why am I running Mycosynth Lattice without Karn, the Great Creator? Well for starters I don't like winning the game that way and two I feel that there's much better Planeswalker alternatives that are a bit cheaper to utilize around. I might put Karn in here though I'd probably need to take Daretti, Scrap Savant out and he's just too good in here to take out IMO. Should be able to pick up more cards for this deck soon.

Any comments, suggestions, and/or advice is greatly appreciated.

"Stax is the hero we need but don't deserve. Too many people just play dumb stuff and often games devolve into "who does their dumb stuff first". People essentially just goldfishing. Great social format you got here Sheldon." - illakunsaa

Last edited by Card Slinger J on 2019-Oct-13 9:19 am, edited 9 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Breya, Etherium Shaper (Post - War of the Spark)
AgePosted: 2019-May-19 8:13 am 

I don't really understand how this deck is supposed to work.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-19 1:11 pm 

Sorry I should've been more specific. Here's a breakdown of the infinite combos that I run with Breya, Etherium Shaper though I may have missed a few:

Other combos and synergies:

Combos with Isochron Scepter:

"Stax is the hero we need but don't deserve. Too many people just play dumb stuff and often games devolve into "who does their dumb stuff first". People essentially just goldfishing. Great social format you got here Sheldon." - illakunsaa

Last edited by Card Slinger J on 2019-Oct-13 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-20 12:54 pm 

This seems really ambitious. The deck's only working off 28 lands and pretty limited artifact mana... it looks like it'd be tough to assemble some of the combos, especially considering they're 3-4 card combos that need 6-8 mana to get started. It's extra especially tricky since Breya's the finisher for some of the combos, but a lot of the loops only generate colorless mana. So if you don't already have Breya in play, your combo doesn't do a whole lot.

For reference, I don't usually build decks with fewer than 32 lands (for elves/elf-ish decks), or 35 lands for combo decks running all of the A-list mana rocks.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-21 1:37 pm 

This is one of those decks that doesn't look good on paper but performs really well once you get the mana going for it. I've seen it in action a couple of times and it never seemed to have any mana issues despite the low land count though I see where you're coming from though. I would run the new Urza from Modern Horizons in here to help turn colorless mana into blue mana though I'd much rather wait til he goes down in price first since it's already $50 on Pre-Order.

Ideally you want to copy Breya, Etherium Shaper in case someone tries to disrupt an infinite combo with the actual card on the battlefield. I fear that rebuilding this deck might become more of a hassle due to all the recent price spikes in Modern Horizons and War of the Spark since the last time I checked the price for this deck it totaled up to $498.60. My Shadowborn Athreos deck in EDH / Commander is $10 cheaper than what this Breya deck is currently going for before the price spikes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-29 11:21 am 

Card Slinger J wrote:
...performs really well once you get the mana going for it...

Yeah, that's the trick right? Everything performs well if you have the mana to make it perform well. This list is every Modern player taking a mulligan: "My hand is sooo good, it has all my combo pieces in it! I just don't have any lands"

If it's working for you, great! but my suggestion would be to play for a few sessions, track how many mulligans you take and how many games you lose because you don't have lands

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-13 9:33 am 

My friend and I finally got Breya, Etherium Shaper completed and after a few playtests with the modifications my friend made he actually did manage to combo off with Bolas's Citadel, Aetherflux Reservoir, and Sensei's Divining Top in one game. Next game my friend managed to gain infinite life which didn't do him any good being tapped out when another player at the table managed to deal 21+ Commander damage to him with Tishana, Voice of Thunder.

Next game one of my friends who ran Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite as his Commander managed to lock my friend out of the game by casting Overwhelming Splendor on him with me not being able to get around his Ethersworn Canonist with Nissa, Vastwood Seer as my Commander. I did get a strong lead with a 1st turn Helix Pinnacle threatening to win the game by dumping mana into it with both Caged Sun and Gauntlet of Power.

Offline Profile