Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2017-Sep-22 3:40 pm

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-30 4:20 pm 

My PT attendance may increase this year, so changing my reservation:

Darigaaz, The Igniter.

Also, Nikki my fiance will reserve Wydwen, the Biting Gale.

As Gavin was saying, these reflect our persona, though we have other decks we may play. :-D

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Apr-01 2:12 pm 

I would like to reserve both Sedris, the Traitor King and Malfegor for PT-Austin, TX if at all possible... if it isn't possible to reserve both of them, then I would like to just reserve Malfegor as I fully intend to have my Malfegor deck finished by October.

Last edited by Tharian on 2009-Apr-28 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Apr-01 4:00 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

Generals aren't reserved for an event, but for any future play at PTs so that you can build an association with that deck/general/legend. As such, reserving multiple generals would entirely defeat the purpose. Also, declaring intent to bring a deck to a PT is just that... the reservation doesn't go on the list until it actually gets played by that person at the event :)

None of which is to say one can't PLAY different generals, or that you can't play someone else's if they're not present at the time... but they get first crack at it.

G

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Apr-01 5:52 pm 

Genomancer wrote:
Generals aren't reserved for an event, but for any future play at PTs so that you can build an association with that deck/general/legend. As such, reserving multiple generals would entirely defeat the purpose. Also, declaring intent to bring a deck to a PT is just that... the reservation doesn't go on the list until it actually gets played by that person at the event :)

None of which is to say one can't PLAY different generals, or that you can't play someone else's if they're not present at the time... but they get first crack at it.

G

I see, I see... good to know, I was under the impression I could reserve a general... but guess not... oh well, just have to build the Malfegor deck and see what happens. Thanks for the input.

Last edited by Tharian on 2009-May-17 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Apr-01 7:06 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

Oh you can totally reserve a general in advance of an event, and if you show up and play in some games the pairing would go on the list and become permanent. On the other hand, Austin is still a long way off and there are several PTs in the meantime: we've always gone FCFS for generals so I think if someone else were to reserve and play that general at an earlier event it would take precedence.

I don't forsee any problems though, so I'll keep Malfegor in mind for you after Austin.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jun-01 11:41 am 

okay seeing as how I now officially have my Malfegor deck finished and am working on foiling it out. And since I am almost certainly going to Pro-Tour Austin (as far as I know). I would like to request a reservation of Malfegor as my General with regards to Pro-Tour Austin.

Also I would like to get clarification on something, if I have a legendary in my deck that someone else is using as a general, do I have to take that Legendary out of my deck? Cause I have a few legendaries in my deck other than my General, and I am hoping that they are obscure enough that I don't have to worry about it but am not sure...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jun-22 12:00 pm 

It depends on if you're playing in a League or if it's Open Play. In a League, where you know what others are playing for Generals, you can't have that card in your deck. In Open Play, it's perfectly fine (since the only way to avoid that would be to not play any Legendary creatures other than your General). One thing to remember for Open Play, though:

Quote:
If a General and a non-General creature of the same name are in play, only the non-General is put into the graveyard by state-based effects. If two opponents in the same game have the same General and both are in play, neither is put into the graveyard (although other, non-General, versions are).

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jun-22 1:38 pm 

Kazun wrote:
It depends on if you're playing in a League or if it's Open Play. In a League, where you know what others are playing for Generals, you can't have that card in your deck. In Open Play, it's perfectly fine (since the only way to avoid that would be to not play any Legendary creatures other than your General). One thing to remember for Open Play, though:

Quote:
If a General and a non-General creature of the same name are in play, only the non-General is put into the graveyard by state-based effects. If two opponents in the same game have the same General and both are in play, neither is put into the graveyard (although other, non-General, versions are).

I was of course talking about the EDH Pro-Tour League more than anything else. I was more concerned with the people who show up to play without notifying this board in advance.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Pro Tour EDH League
AgePosted: 2009-Aug-24 12:22 am 

what? reserving generals for pro tour events? that's insane, since their is such a limited amount of good legendary creatures, your essentially saying only like 20 people can play in these events, its insane.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Aug-24 5:37 am 

turns out I won't be able to make it to Pro-Tour Austin, so I am retracting my reservation request :?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Aug-25 7:12 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

"Reservations" are the effective equivalent of calling "dibs," with a similar enforceability. Although we'd like there to be different-one-for-everybody approach, the popularity of EDH, that's really no longer practical. Just be prepared to go to a backup General sometimes. The main idea is getting everyone playing.

Offline Profile