Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-11 8:29 am

Post subject: Maralen of the Mornsong - Win by turn 3!
AgePosted: 2014-Apr-29 7:54 pm 

The idea is simple: tutor for Ad Nauseam, use it to draw your deck, cast Sickening Dreams alongside Glacial Chasm or Dark Sphere and win! The list consistently wins on turn 3, turn 2 is not uncommon and the occasional turn 1 kills do happen. The entire list is geared towards the explosive win, every card in the list is there for this purpose. Absolutely any ideas, critiques, suggestions, what have you are always welcome and greatly appreciated.

Commander:Maralen of the Mornsong

Land:51
12 Swamp
12 Snow-Covered Swamp
Ancient Tomb
Barren Moor
Blasted Landscape
Blinkmoth Nexus
Bloodstained Mire
Boseiju, Who Shelters All
Cavern of Souls
City of Traitors
Crystal Vein
Darksteel Citadel
Gemstone Caverns
Inkmoth Nexus
Lake of the Dead
Marsh Flats
Mishra's Factory
Mutavault
Phyrexian Tower
Polluted Delta
Polluted Mire
Reliquary Tower
Safe Haven
Strip Mine
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Vault of Whispers
Verdant Catacombs[/c]
[card]Wasteland

Winding Canyons

Creature:8
Blood Pet
Memnite
Ornithopter
Phyrexian Marauder
Phyrexian Walker
Skirge Familiar
Shield Sphere
Shifting Wall

Instant:9
Ad Nauseam
Cabal Ritual
Culling the Weak
Dark Ritual
Imp's Mischief
Rain of Filth
Sacrifice
Slaughter Pact
Vampiric Tutor

Sorcery:10
Bubbling Muck
Cruel Tutor
Demonic Tutor
Diabolic Intent
Exsanguinate
Grim Tutor
Imperial Seal
Tainted Pact
Tendrils of Agony
Yawgmoth's Will

Artifact:21
Chimeric Mass
Chrome Mox
Claws of Gix
Elixir of Immortality
Everflowing Chalice
Expedition Map
Feldon's Cane
Grim Monolith
Jeweled Amulet
Library of Leng
Lion's Eye Diamond
Lotus Bloom
Lotus Petal
Mana Crypt
Mana Vault
Mox Diamond
Mox Opal
Sol Ring
Spellbook
Thran Foundry
Zuran Orb

Last edited by buckjunt on 2014-May-01 9:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Maralen of the Mornsong - Win by turn 3!
AgePosted: 2014-Apr-30 12:40 am 

These decks always look okay on paper, but in practice you are letting everyone else tutor before you. Someone is always going to grab a Swords or something, and you aren't going to get to go off.

If you want to play AN combo, I feel like you are gonna want a lot more tutors, and Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed in the drivers seat.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-30 8:38 am 

It is not just on paper, this deck works. I usually cast maralen (if I even do) on turn 1 or 2. This allows the table their first or second turn to find cheap spot removal, which decks tend to run little to none of. I also use Winding canyons and safe haven to assure i am the first to tutor with her. Expidition map helps obviously. I try to avoid casting her if I can, but you may be correct in the fact I need more tutors. What tutors do you suggest?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-30 8:43 am 

You also may want some protection for her.... Lightning Greaves and the like.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-30 12:30 pm 

buckjunt wrote:
This allows the table their first or second turn to find cheap spot removal, which decks tend to run little to none of.

Screw spot removal.
Step 1: Tutor Mindbreak Trap with Maralen trigger
Step 2: Wait for you to discard your entire deck to cast Sickening Dreams for the "win".
Step 3: Profit!

Bottom line: Swarm is probably right. People will wise up to your shenannigans, and you won't be able to reliably do this anymore. A slightly more controlly build with the one-eye will be much more resilient to hate, even if it is a little slower.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-30 3:13 pm 

buckjunt wrote:
It is not just on paper, this deck works. I usually cast maralen (if I even do) on turn 1 or 2. This allows the table their first or second turn to find cheap spot removal, which decks tend to run little to none of. I also use Winding canyons and safe haven to assure i am the first to tutor with her. Expidition map helps obviously. I try to avoid casting her if I can, but you may be correct in the fact I need more tutors. What tutors do you suggest?

Grim Tutor and Infernal Tutor both seems solid for this sort of deck, maybe even Rhystic Tutor. You might also want to look at something like Skirge Familiar/Krark-Clan Ironworks and a finisher like Exsanguinate as a backup to Sickening Dreams

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-30 11:38 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
buckjunt wrote:
This allows the table their first or second turn to find cheap spot removal, which decks tend to run little to none of.

Screw spot removal.
Step 1: Tutor Mindbreak Trap with Maralen trigger
Step 2: Wait for you to discard your entire deck to cast Sickening Dreams for the "win".
Step 3: Profit!

Bottom line: Swarm is probably right. People will wise up to your shenannigans, and you won't be able to reliably do this anymore. A slightly more controlly build with the one-eye will be much more resilient to hate, even if it is a little slower.

Imp's mischief has saved me there. I agree on the flash in the pan aspect, but that's what the deck does. I play it very rarely, usually in side events for packs since each pod is new people.

As for the other wincons, skirge and exsanguuinate and ironworks aren't bad ideas. So add skirge, ironworks, exsanguinate, grim tutor, cruel tutor tainted pact and maybe tendrils since the storm is huge. The pact works well with the basic land split between snow and non. I feel like adding diabolic or higher cmc is bad. Too slow, too much life loss from AN. Cruel tutor may not make the cut because of cost + it topdecks, too slow.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-01 6:47 am 

I believe that the AN deck that is all the rage is Skirge Familiar and Exsanguinate for the win with Tendrils as the backup (since you basically can gain an additional 15 CMC to your decklist). Xiahou at the helm lets you rebuy AN and Elixir of Immortality in the list will let you kill people from an arbitrarily high life total; just let him actually go to GY when you return AN and draw him when you redraw your deck so you can cast him for 4 every time.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-01 9:08 am 

JJackson wrote:
I believe that the AN deck that is all the rage is Skirge Familiar and Exsanguinate for the win with Tendrils as the backup (since you basically can gain an additional 15 CMC to your decklist). Xiahou at the helm lets you rebuy AN and Elixir of Immortality in the list will let you kill people from an arbitrarily high life total; just let him actually go to GY when you return AN and draw him when you redraw your deck so you can cast him for 4 every time.

I understand the merits to running xiahou as the commander, but this also takes away from the ability to tutor without a tutor. I built this deck to blow up as early as possible, so I am really extremely hesitant to replace maralen as xiahou doesn't tutor.

So do i try to trade in some of the explosiveness for more tutors? Like diabolic and the more expensive ones? And i suppose i can remove sickening dreams, chasm and dark sphere form the list if i add skirge and exsanguinate.

Since you have stated that there is apparently an AN deck that is in vogue right now, would you mind pointing me in the direction of what you are talking about? A link to a list if you could?

Would Death Wish be a viable option? Put another wincon in the side, maybe some siver bullet type cards?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-01 10:38 am 

The AN deck isn't really in vogue, it is more of a thought experiment of the degeneracy that is possible in the format, and I believe that it has evolved to the exsanguinate build as a default.

As for Maralen being a tutor on a stick, she really isn't. At least one of your opponents will kill her every time unless they are all a bunch of rubes since they tutor first and she is a small creature.

Here is an article about the general idea:
http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/p ... icle=23076

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-01 12:16 pm 

buckjunt wrote:
Imp's mischief has saved me there. I agree on the flash in the pan aspect, but that's what the deck does. I play it very rarely, usually in side events for packs since each pod is new people.

That's pretty much the only environment where it might be viable, and even then, the sort of people that do side events for packs will recognize what's going down and play accordingly. If you were to trot this out regularly with an established playgroup, it would work once, maybe twice, and that's it - they'd all have a way to hose you. Blue players would be running Extract to castrate your deck turn 1, white players... probably have StP and PtE already, hell - mono-red players would probably start running Lightning Bolt to keep you in your place.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-01 1:47 pm 

I good article. There are a lot of great ideas in their, though some card choices i didnt agree with. xiahoa is going to be added, and duress, baubles, thoughtseize, cabal therapy. also should include dustbowl, wintermoon mesa, rishadan port. i will be able to cut basic lands for these, making tainted pact all the better, almost another ad nauseam. I guess infernal tutor could be included, though i am not sure how often i can go hellbent with over 40 lands in the deck.

Withering boon is an option to stop venser or even gaddok. Defense grid is not a bad idea as well. I may look up some more utility lands. I still may consider death wish with a board. Thoughts on cards to board?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-02 1:43 pm 

I use to play this deck. I never liked Maralen, so I decided to use Sygg, river cutthroat and splash blue into the mix. Using cards like mystical tutor,pact of negation, and Lim-Dûl's Vault for more tutors. Sygg is also good enough to be fodder for your diabolic intent.

You can see my list here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... 0R2c#gid=0

Offline Profile