Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-05 9:04 am

Post subject: Moderation
AgePosted: 2010-Nov-24 8:30 am 

This forum allows quite a lot to be said and doesnt moderate much. However Quite a few topics become clouded with totally irrelevant posts*. I can understand a higher tolerance for useless posts in sections such as Random Chatter, but especially the more serious sections (rules & format, strategy) could use more moderation.

A system with warnings might not be a bad idea to keep the notorious trollers/spammers at bay. Also post deletion and the moving of threads to the appropriate sections could keep things more clear.

I understand this all takes a lot of manpower and you all do this on a voluntary basis, but as these boards get bigger I think it wouldnt be a bad idea to think about this issue.

*I will not deny having done this myself

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Moderation
AgePosted: 2010-Nov-24 9:19 am 

24x30cl wrote:
This forum allows quite a lot to be said and doesnt moderate much. However Quite a few topics become clouded with totally irrelevant posts*. I can understand a higher tolerance for useless posts in sections such as Random Chatter, but especially the more serious sections (rules & format, strategy) could use more moderation.

A system with warnings might not be a bad idea to keep the notorious trollers/spammers at bay. Also post deletion and the moving of threads to the appropriate sections could keep things more clear.

I understand this all takes a lot of manpower and you all do this on a voluntary basis, but as these boards get bigger I think it wouldnt be a bad idea to think about this issue.

*I will not deny having done this myself

There is a fair amount of community moderation done. People jumping in to comment when posters get out of hand and threads start getting stupidly repetitive. Sometimes putting a totally irrelevant post in at around page 13 when the last original content was somewhere on page 4 can be as effective as a Mod laying down the law but a lot less oppressive.

And this community doesn't really go for oppressive.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Nov-24 12:55 pm 

I made a handful of "silly" posts last night, but they have a purpose. When someone is being dumb, I would rather tell them by making a joke than by seriously explaining why they are being dumb. Maintaining the rational high ground isn't very interesting or effective against the inane.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Nov-24 12:56 pm 

*sneaks away into the shadows*

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Nov-24 4:09 pm 

Fugu wrote:
I made a handful of "silly" posts last night, but they have a purpose. When someone is being dumb, I would rather tell them by making a joke than by seriously explaining why they are being dumb. Maintaining the rational high ground isn't very interesting or effective against the inane.

I'm not advocating a binary on-topic/off-topic system of looking at posts, I just feel the amount of totally pointless posts is getting a little out of hand. It's more these

Joz wrote:
*sneaks away into the shadows*

type of things that make me scratch my head.

Also (and this probably annoys me more) I see quite a bit of posts in the wrong section. I understand posts like "Card X really kills us, it should be banned" won't get moved from the rules department to the strategy section to often, but a thread like this one clearly shouldn't be in the Random Chatter section. As far as I can tell, no thread here as ever been moved.

Of course I'd understand if you say: shut up, no time, we have lives to :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Nov-25 1:21 am 

No. Just no.
1) There aren't that much posts going on.
2) You quickly get which posters are posting inane remarks, and may choose to ignore them (no one is forcing you to read and comment on their post).
3) the sections seems almost completely irrelevant to me as the amount of posts is so low, I'm checking the "active topics" and "new posts" threads instead to see if anything has happened at all. Its good to have the topics in place should activity increase, and to ease finding a thread you want to refer to later, but otherwise...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Nov-25 9:55 am 

I don't have a problem with off-topic posts every once in a while, so long as they don't continue on an off-topic tangent to the overall demise of the thread. Posts like the one Joz made earlier in this thread are fine, as long as a bunch of other people don't chime in with similarly worthless posts and create a long, pointless string of thread-derailing nonsense. However, I don't see things get out of hand on these forums very often. The atmosphere seems to be much more adult compared to other communities.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Nov-25 10:51 am 

Cervid wrote:
I don't have a problem with off-topic posts every once in a while, so long as they don't continue on an off-topic tangent to the overall demise of the thread. Posts like the one Joz made earlier in this thread are fine, as long as a bunch of other people don't chime in with similarly worthless posts and create a long, pointless string of thread-derailing nonsense. However, I don't see things get out of hand on these forums very often. The atmosphere seems to be much more adult compared to other communities.

Bow chicka wow wow.

When a thread changes enough to get its title chnaged maybe it should just be broken off into a new thread so that both discussions can continue. Otherwise I don't see a problem with the moderation here.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-02 8:27 pm 

Who is the moderator, and why when I post do I get a "message must be reviewed by the moderator"?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-03 4:45 pm 

I believe you have just received the answer to this question. Your first post must be approved, just to be sure you aren't a spam bot. After the first one, you no longer need approval (although if you say something really nasty, your post may be deleted and you may be punished, as per the forum rules you agreed to when you became a member).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-03 5:10 pm 

Cervid wrote:

Yay! Someone mentioned me ^_^
:mrgreen:

*ties fingers together to prevent further acts if inanity*

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-03 6:56 pm 

How do you add an avatar? Having major problems!!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-05 3:51 pm 

I loves me the steak.

Oh, and Vancouver won last night! ;)

In actual context though, it looks like it is going okay to me so far. These forums have been around for quite some time now and with the new Commander coming out, it is hard to say how much bigger they will get or if WotC will just make their own bloated forums, so in that part time will tell.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-05 4:27 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

We have a few forum members who act as observers and let me know when something gets out of hand, at which point I step in.. certainly other forum members are welcome to bring things to my attention. When it comes to abject trolls, I have no patience and just delete them and all the posts they've ever made.

By and large though, I don't more frequent heavy moderation would improve the experience for most people... I've polled the community a few times and so far that's always been the consensus. If the added influx from the commander decks changes that, we may have to adjust of course. We'll wait and see.

Offline Profile