Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-18 2:47 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Is it time to *Gasp* unban the moxen?
AgePosted: 2011-Apr-14 10:52 am 

Not to mention a $100 card is VERY different from a $500 card. I have quite a few cards worth around $100, including Jace, Multiple English Mana Drains, Undeground Seas, etc... And I'm not old guard - I came back into the game with zero cards owned at Alara block. I don't own ANYTHING worth the price of a Tabernacle, Library, and certainly not a Mox and wont; for quite some time. If I spend $50/pay on Magic, I can get a $100 card in 3 pay periods (taking FNM entry fees into account). A $400 card would take 12 pay periods, or almost half a year of my magic budget for one card. That's a HUGE difference.

Norin the Wary (chaos control)
Talrand (mono-U tempo/Proteus Staff combo)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-14 11:01 am 

Killane wrote:
Not to mention a $100 card is VERY different from a $500 card. I have quite a few cards worth around $100, including Jace, Multiple English Mana Drains, Undeground Seas, etc... And I'm not old guard - I came back into the game with zero cards owned at Alara block. I don't own ANYTHING worth the price of a Tabernacle, Library, and certainly not a Mox and wont; for quite some time. If I spend $50/pay on Magic, I can get a $100 card in 3 pay periods (taking FNM entry fees into account). A $400 card would take 12 pay periods, or almost half a year of my magic budget for one card. That's a HUGE difference.

I am old guard, disappeared between 1999 and 2008 (but retained all my goodies power 9 etc) and I'm having difficulty keeping up with the new stuff! Imagine poor newbs...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-14 11:06 am 

Once I was old guard. When I left the game in 2002 I had 40 beautiful Beta dual lands, many Force of Wills, etc... etc... etc.... sold the lot for just under $10,000. I hate to even think what it would be worth now, likely over $100,000.

On the other hand, I have no student loans.

Norin the Wary (chaos control)
Talrand (mono-U tempo/Proteus Staff combo)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-14 11:10 am 

Never had any Beta Duals... I just never saw the need with my 4x revised. More fool me! :D

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-14 11:31 am 

NM Beta Underground Sea sold for 1225 on ebay the other day, so yeah lol

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-14 1:19 pm 

My point was, how often is the mox going to show up against the "new players" you're talking about? Every few games. If that. How often are the duals gonna show up? EVERY SINGLE GAME. So which one are they gonna feel the need for more? Umm... the ones that affect every game by ensuring that their opponent never, ever gets color screwed.

As for scaring people? Most EDH player are NOT trying to 100% optimize their deck. Yes, make your deck good. But if you're not willing to play unless it has every possible card you're pushing it too far. That's just not the point of the format. Maybe commander could do with a few less of those types of players anyway.

Alesha, She who Smiles at Death.....Atraxa, Praetors' Voice.....Eight-and-a-Half-Tails.....Gonti, Lord of Luxury.....Karametra, God of Harvests.....Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker.....Kozilek, the Great Distortion.....Prime Speaker Zegana.....Rubinia Soulsinger.....Thrasios, Triton Hero + Vial Smasher the Fierce

My general commander philosophy: Using your opponent's degenerate cards against them is far more satisfying than playing degenerate cards yourself.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-14 8:59 pm 

spammeister wrote:
onlainari wrote:
This will only remain a valid reason for roughly 18 more months in my opinion.

What happens in October 2012?

Saturation of EDH players, removing the rule will benefit more people than it will detriment.

DCI Level 1 Judge.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-14 9:07 pm 

kaldare wrote:

Most EDH player are NOT trying to 100% optimize their deck.

You don't need mox to have a 100% optimized deck; the statistics of even getting the mox are far to low in a 99 card deck.

An optimized deck is a deck that constantly lands bombs and card advantage engines when they are needed OR whenever it wants to and protect them. Mox is just another rock; and more rocks is bad since they cut space for actual cards that win.

Unban Bargain if you want "100% optimized decks"

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-15 4:21 am 

onlainari wrote:
spammeister wrote:
onlainari wrote:
This will only remain a valid reason for roughly 18 more months in my opinion.

What happens in October 2012?

Saturation of EDH players, removing the rule will benefit more people than it will detriment.

Alright, I'll mark October 5th 2012 on my calendar as the day the music died.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-15 11:45 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Broadly--very broadly--speaking, there has to be a compelling reason to bring a card off the banned list. There is no such reason for the Moxen/Lotus.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-15 1:25 pm 

Sheldon wrote:
Broadly--very broadly--speaking, there has to be a compelling reason to bring a card off the banned list. There is no such reason for the Moxen/Lotus.

And broadly speaking, that seems like the correct attitude. If a card once proved so problematic that it need to be banned, it makes sense to use caution with that card in the future.

However, many of the cards on the list have NEVER been allowed in EDH/Commander. It does NOT make sense to treat these cards the same as the ones that have actually proven to be a problem. This is the boat the moxen are in, as well as at least a few other cards.

PS Does anyone have a history of the banned list? That would be interesting to see.

EDIT: I didn't realize how... new... EDH really was as a format. From looking at these forms it seems modern EDH has only existed since about march of 2007. Before that the rules were quite different. Since then, despite many more in-depth, technical changes, they're remained more or less the same as far as the average player is concerned. So, really, anything that was banned before that has never been tested in modern EDH.

Alesha, She who Smiles at Death.....Atraxa, Praetors' Voice.....Eight-and-a-Half-Tails.....Gonti, Lord of Luxury.....Karametra, God of Harvests.....Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker.....Kozilek, the Great Distortion.....Prime Speaker Zegana.....Rubinia Soulsinger.....Thrasios, Triton Hero + Vial Smasher the Fierce

My general commander philosophy: Using your opponent's degenerate cards against them is far more satisfying than playing degenerate cards yourself.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-15 5:49 pm 

spammeister wrote:
onlainari wrote:

Get out your dictionary and look up the definition of roughly.

DCI Level 1 Judge.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-16 3:11 am 

The banning guidelines really should just be scrapped completely and changed to "what the EDH rules committee wants to ban gets banned". It would stop all these threads popping up pointing out the endless inconsistency and flaws in the current system.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-17 8:57 am 

Sharpe wrote:
The banning guidelines really should just be scrapped completely and changed to "what the EDH rules committee wants to ban gets banned". It would stop all these threads popping up pointing out the endless inconsistency and flaws in the current system.

I'm not seeing "endless" flaws and inconsistencies. Of course there is going to be a certain amount of arbitrariness in any banning system. Live with it.

And threads are ok; WHat is the alternative? No discussion whatsoever? That sounds real interesting... or not.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-18 3:50 am 

onlainari wrote:
spammeister wrote:
onlainari wrote:

Get out your dictionary and look up the definition of roughly.

I Got it out my dictionary and looked up the definition of sarcasm instead...looking into my magical crystal ball, I see the allowing of Un-sets, Collector's Edition and Yu-Gi-Oh! cards as well.

[/sarcasm]

Like Sheldon said, there'd have to be a compelling reason to remove cards off the "banned" list. If Commander was to suddenly become the defacto standard MtG format for the entire world, it would be the only situation compelling enough to do so that I can think up.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next