Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-18 3:38 am

Post subject: Deck Building Challenge of Doom: Jaya Ballard, Task Mage
AgePosted: 2011-Apr-03 5:54 pm 

What deck building challenge? This one :)

Full decklist:

General: Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

Cards with Jaya Ballard Flavour Text: (These are not getting cut, ever. Don't suggest them)
Sizzle
Pyroclasm
Flare
Incinerate
Lava Burst
Meteor Shower
Pyroblast
Pyrokinesis
Simian Spirit Guide
Wall of Lava
(there are a bunch more as well, but I don't have them - yet. List at the bottom of this post)

Taking your Stuff
Conquering Manticore
Threaten
Mark of Mutiny
Grab the Reins
Word of Seizing

Nice spell. I'll take two
Reverberate
Reiterate

Creatures
Mogg War Marshal
Siege-Gang Commander
Bogardan Hellkite
Obsidian Fireheart
Flametongue Kavu
Anarchist
Fire Servant (haven't drawn it yet....)
Kumano, Master Yamabushi (also makes things go boom)
Bloodfire Colossus (also makes things go BOOOOM)
Greater Gargadon
Inferno Titan
Oni of Wild Places (Siege-Gang every turn? Don't mind if I do..)
Hostility

Things That Go Boom
Banefire (this for 5+ with Hostility on the board = good times :) )
Demonfire
Earthquake
Molten Disaster
Seal of Fire (pretty meh)
Comet Storm
Rough // Tumble
Flame Javelin (kinda meh)
Kindle the Carnage
Spellshock (LOTS of little booms)
Steam Blast
Sulfurous Blast
Ignite Memories
Incendiary Command
Cone of Flame
Sulfuric Vortex
Chandra Nalaar
Chandra Ablaze
Sphinx-Bone Wand (boom. Boom. BooM. BOOM)

The Thing That Makes Things Go BOOOOOM
Furnace of Rath
(yes, it's soooo good it deserves a category of it's Own)

Jaya's Best Friends: (Madness and Recycling)
Fiery Temper
Reckless Wurm
Squee, Goblin Nabob
Skarrgan Firebird
Shard Phoenix (also goes Boom)

Protecting Jaya
Sword of Fire and Ice
Darksteel Plate

Other Stuff
Wheel of Fate
Basilisk Collar
Blight Sickle
Form of the Dragon
Shattering Pulse
Shatterstorm
Sword of Kaldra (helps Jaya deal with otherwise out of reach creatures)

Land/Mana
Lotus Bloom
Braid of Fire
31 Mountain
Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle

Jaya Ballard cards I don't have yet:
Burnout
Gorilla Shaman
Gorilla War Cry
Inferno
Melting (yay....)
Mystic Compass
Panic
Word of Blasting

Cheers
Viperion

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Last edited by Viperion on 2011-Apr-15 11:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Deck Building Challenge of Doom: Jaya Ballard, Task Mage
AgePosted: 2011-Apr-04 12:07 am 

I think form of the dragon is a really bad move in EDH. There are way too many ways to take 5 and too many people you could take it from.
Since you're running Jaya, and even chandra ablaze, I've decided you need madness. Sadly, Fiery Temper, Violent Eruption, and Reckless Wurm are your only options in red.
Flame Wave is nice and asymetrical.
Molten Disaster is one of my favorite mass damage spells, mostly because it's damn near uncounterable.
Magebane Armor is Jaya protection you may want to run in addition to darksteel plate.
Mogg Maniac (with darksteel plate) and Stuffy Doll are also good additions to a Jaya deck.
Flaring Pain might be good, too, if you see a lot of cop reds, protection from red, or fogs.

EDH decklists! Post'em if you got'em!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-04 1:03 am 

she's a spellshaper so you'll want stuff that can be repeatedly discarded for her ability. The obvious example is Squee, Goblin Nabob.

Some other possibilities:
Hammer of Bogardan
Death spark
and I think one of the phoenix cards can come back to your hand as well.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-04 3:43 am 

Rollcage wrote:
I think form of the dragon is a really bad move in EDH. There are way too many ways to take 5 and too many people you could take it from.
It's an even worse idea when I have Furnace of Rath already on the board :) I won that game. Form of the Dragon is a card I will quite often discard to Jaya's ability, but when the time is right to drop it, it can do some good things. And there's nothing like the feeling of riding the wave of chaos when you're on 5 life and any hasty flier might End You :) You gotta remember, it doesn't stop you from casting spells; and that plus the five damage on upkeep is usually enough to keep a flier or two out of action before they get to attack you with it. Form + Bogardan Hellkite + Conquering Manticore is actually a pretty good defence if the opponents don't have direct damage of their own :)
Quote:
Since you're running Jaya, and even chandra ablaze, I've decided you need madness. Sadly, Fiery Temper, Violent Eruption, and Reckless Wurm are your only options in red.
Temper and Wurm are in, I can't find a Violent Eruption but when I do that'll go in too :)
Quote:
Flame Wave is nice and asymetrical.
Ooh nice, will look for one :)
Quote:
Molten Disaster is one of my favorite mass damage spells, mostly because it's damn near uncounterable.
Is in the deck.
Quote:
Magebane Armor is Jaya protection you may want to run in addition to darksteel plate.
Mogg Maniac (with darksteel plate) and Stuffy Doll are also good additions to a Jaya deck.
I don't have a Magebane Armor but I do have a Sword of Fire and Ice which I may put in. I don't have a Mogg Maniac or Stuffy Doll, but the Doll could easily find it's way in if I can find it.
Quote:
Flaring Pain might be good, too, if you see a lot of cop reds, protection from red, or fogs.
Not in my playgroup, so I'll pass on that, thanks :)

Thanks for the comments!

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-04 3:51 am 

jesstersmasque wrote:
she's a spellshaper so you'll want stuff that can be repeatedly discarded for her ability. The obvious example is Squee, Goblin Nabob.
:facepalm: Totally is in there already :)
Quote:
Some other possibilities:
Hammer of Bogardan
Death spark
and I think one of the phoenix cards can come back to your hand as well.

I don't think I'd ever want to pay more than 2 or 3 to get a card back, so no Hammer. I don't think there's enough creatures to guarantee a creature would be above Death Spark, and it's kinda meh by itself. I do have Shard Phoenix and Skarrgan Firebird in there though, thanks for the memory jolt :)

Viperion

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-04 8:00 am 

I played a Jaya deck last Thursday, and I would have to say the MVP of that deck was Loxodon Warhammer. Casting inferno with lifelink is very powerful why not have two artifact that can do it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-04 8:09 am 

Rough // Tumble

Rough[space]//[space]Tumble

Works with all split cards.

Sinis wrote:
4. Jellyfish

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-04 11:11 am 

I realize that this might not be *quite* on theme, but is Distorting Lens anywhere in the hopper? The ability to blow up blue permanents+ the ability to make permanents blue seems pretty good.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-04 12:17 pm 

Re Distorting Lens (and Scuttlemutt as well): I've considered it but so far without them I've had no trouble blowing everything up anyway :) I may put them in for a test run at some point, but kind of like Death Spark they don't really do too much by themselves.

Loxodon Warhammer: Is definitely on the "maybe" list - it's gotta be more use than Seal of Fire :) I'll put it in and see how it goes

Thanks for the split card tip!

Cheers all

Viperion

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-04 3:20 pm 

Just thought I would suggest it because it is the best red card in EDH Insurrection. Doesn't follow your strategy but it wins games by itself.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-04 4:44 pm 

battlemaster wrote:
Just thought I would suggest it because it is the best red card in EDH Insurrection. Doesn't follow your strategy but it wins games by itself.

Correct poster is correct :)

I don't have one, but if I did this the red deck it would go in :)

Viperion

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-04 5:38 pm 

Jaya Ballard, Task Mage's abilities were almost hand-picked to be used along side of Chandra Ablaze.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-04 6:59 pm 

Lunaryon wrote:
Jaya Ballard, Task Mage's abilities were almost hand-picked to be used along side of Chandra Ablaze.

Which is why she's in there :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-05 1:29 pm 

Gratuitous Violence

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-05 2:49 pm 

Kemev wrote:

I tend to do a lot of my damage through spells, rather than creatures (obviously Jaya gets in there on occasion, and the others chip in too). Not sure I'd get a lot of use out of it.

I did randomly open a Pyromancer's Swath last night (went in for a box of Future Sight with 3 others trying to win the Tarmogoyf lottery ;) - so far no good but we're going to draft the rest of the packs so plenty left to open yet...) I may try that out and see how good it is, since I tend to have not many cards in my hand in any given turn anyway.

Viperion

Offline Profile