Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-15 1:19 pm

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Time Vault Errata
AgePosted: 2008-Sep-04 9:16 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Since everyone is going all chicken little about Time Vault, and since I'm a horribly unfun, insufficiently intelligent, deck-wrecking, faceless monstrosity (hehe :twisted:) I figured I can at least be preemptive about this one: if Time Vault is, in fact, errata'd in such a way that it works with Twiddle, it will be banned from EDH play, probably immediately (ie: emergency ban). Since we aren't part of WotC's R&D discussions we have no way of knowing about these errata ahead of time.. we just have to play it by ear.

Nothing to see here... move along.

G

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Sep-04 9:28 am 

I don't know about banning it right away. Yes I think it will be too powerful. However EDH is not a format where an overpowered card will ruin the next few months of tournaments. 99% of play is casual and there is an easy way to deal with Time Vault being overpowered in a casual deck.

If you're running a tournament before December 1st then just ban it for that event.

Anyways thats my 2 cents, wait for December to ban it.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Sep-04 10:21 am 

Probably will have to. Considering the fact that Voltaic Key is at CMC one, found via Trinket Mage.

Also, the fact that they are both artifacts doesn't seem to hurt. Do I need to mention Arcum Dagsson again? Then, there's the fact that it also works with Rings of Brighthearth (pffft, slow). Regardless, if it's NOT emergency banned, I wouldn't mind anyway. It will be a nice challenge to play against.

My Intet, the Dreamer Decklist

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Sep-04 11:49 am 

Still combos now as-is with M. Transreliquat for infini turns. I guess the un-erratta would only make things a little more broken.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Sep-04 12:01 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

Transreliquat is only one artifact, CMC 3 which can only be used in blue and red decks. Voltaic Key is a trinket which can go in any deck... which makes it much easier to abuse, but really the problem isn't that combo on its own, it's all the OTHER ways you could abuse the vault for cheap (Twiddle, Twitch, Toils, Trickster... can we ban the letter T?)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Sep-04 1:03 pm 

its official (if gatherer is official) that it has a replacement effect with untapping.

http://ww2.wizards.com/Gatherer/CardDet ... me%20vault

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Sep-04 1:09 pm 

Wow triggered effects solved time vault. Word, triggered effects, worrrrrd. 100% agree with the new wording.

Oh yeah, we don't have to ban it is the cool part.

Edit: Dang, nevermind. I feel so used. Plaaaaaayed.

Last edited by warble on 2008-Sep-04 10:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Sep-04 2:07 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

Hold your horses. That is still the current wording. The Oracle is being updated next on October 3rd (or something) when Shards is released.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Sep-04 2:42 pm 

Time Vault errata starts September 26th I believe. Gatherer still has the old wording. And please don't emergency ban it. I bought 4 Beta ones for 75 apiece to sell on ebay 10 mins after the article came out, so I wanna have a sick pimp card in my deck for 3 months. Give it the axe in December :lol:

It's not like it's widely available like Painter and Grindstone before prices went up.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Sep-04 7:00 pm 

TrialbyFire wrote:
It's not like it's widely available like Painter and Grindstone before prices went up.

I think that's kind of the point. Ever wonder why moxen aren't allowed in EDH?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Sep-04 8:31 pm 

Frylock_Dude wrote:
TrialbyFire wrote:

Cuz they are broken?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Sep-04 10:17 pm 

Genomancer wrote:
Transreliquat is only one artifact, CMC 3 which can only be used in blue and red decks. Voltaic Key is a trinket which can go in any deck... which makes it much easier to abuse, but really the problem isn't that combo on its own, it's all the OTHER ways you could abuse the vault for cheap (Twiddle, Twitch, Toils, Trickster... can we ban the letter T?)

Awakening. Doesn't exactly work without giving other people turns, but it came to mind...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Sep-05 9:25 am 

TrialbyFire wrote:
Frylock_Dude wrote:
TrialbyFire wrote:

Cuz they are broken?

Not compared to Sol Ring. I also love your logic. "Its not a problem because not many people have it. PS Please don't ban it so I can play it."

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Sep-05 9:35 am 

TrialbyFire wrote:
Frylock_Dude wrote:
TrialbyFire wrote:

Cuz they are broken?

From the banned list page:

#2: A card's dollar cost is prohibitive for most players and the card usually detracts from the playing experience of everyone else in the game [The Power 8]

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Sep-05 9:44 am 

Looks like the sky isn't falling - the wording is a replacement effect that is nice and clean and doesn't work with twiddles or Lodestone Myr. Hooray for one less thing to ban. I guess the Mizz. Trans. combo for turns and Flame Fusillade combo for damage are fragile and slow enough to be fair? They will still work.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next