Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-22 7:09 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Argument for Painter's Servant.
AgePosted: 2010-Dec-16 12:02 pm 

When I first started playing EDH, I used painter's servant in my decks. It wasn't for the grindstone combo, or the iona lock out. It was for the wacky stuff it interacted with, allowing for mono-green counters, massive lifegain boardwipes, off-color vindicates, and really odd kill spells. My playgroup didn't realize it was banned because it simply wasn't a problem. Lately I have been looking at the banned list more and more, feeling that even the Iona lock wasn't any worse than the erayo lock. This only leaves the grindstone combo. I would like the RC to reconsider their ban on PS. Unlike Staff, PS has plenty of other fun interactions which don't revolve around an infinite combo.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Argument for Painter's Servant.
AgePosted: 2010-Dec-16 12:12 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

If no one in your group has a problem with you playing Painter's Servant, then just play it :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-16 12:18 pm 

Banning Painter's Servant was one move that I did not agree with at all. The Painter's Servant/Iona lock was only a big problem because of Tooth and Nail, but if one of them had to go, Iona should have been the one. Even by herself, she's a terrible card that shouldn't see play in a format like EDH. Painter's Servant was chosen instead because he was the engine, but I don't think the loss of his many other unique and fun interactions was worth it.

Of course, what Genomancer said is 100% true. Go ahead and play on my friend!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-16 12:25 pm 

Its one of those cards that is banned because the majority of us can't play nice with it, like Staff of Domination. While it doesn't have as many degenerate uses as Staff, it has enough to realize that it can fuel too many unfun interactions. Whether its something obvious like Iona lock, or subtle like allowing Eastern Paladin to destroy anything. Even the "wacky" interaction you listed show how big a power increase Painter's Servant can give a deck.

Genomancer wrote:
If no one in your group has a problem with you playing Painter's Servant, then just play it :)
I second this though.

Retired decks:
Scion, of the Ur-Dragon-Dragons, Dragons everywhere
Wort, Boggart Auntie-Goblin Shenanigans
Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer-I will Prevail

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-16 1:56 pm 

Stardust wrote:
Banning Painter's Servant was one move that I did not agree with at all. The Painter's Servant/Iona lock was only a big problem because of Tooth and Nail, but if one of them had to go, Iona should have been the one. Even by herself, she's a terrible card that shouldn't see play in a format like EDH. Painter's Servant was chosen instead because he was the engine, but I don't think the loss of his many other unique and fun interactions was worth it.

Of course, what Genomancer said is 100% true. Go ahead and play on my friend!

LOLWUT you obviously never seen her played as a General in MWC. she locks the most popular color out on the table, you're sitting with 3 white players, name white and giggle. alot of people forget she says Opponent in her lockout ability.

Painter's servant fuels alot of incidential interactions, woo your force of will is green, and because these interactions have no real game bearing (because it only adds a color, not replace) the only time Painter's Servant was being used was to form a non-win lock with Iona, or a instant full mill win with grindstone. so the easy RC choice in this case was kill a otherwise useless card that only really do 2 degenerate things or a countless of snicker-worthy color based injokes.

Current General(s):
Grand Arbiter Augustin IV (Mr. Superman no here)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-16 3:58 pm 

LOLWUT you obviously are someone I'd rather avoid playing EDH with. Iona is not a fun card, so it shouldn't see play in a casual format like EDH. I suppose I should insert the obligatory IMHO here. <(' '<) (>' ')> \(^^)/

Painter's Servant is far from useless outside those two combos. The OP named a few uses, but you might appreciate it's use with Teysa more (you know, since it's infinite).

/flame

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-16 4:41 pm 

Stardust wrote:

QFT!

Teneb, the Harvester
Heartless Hidetsugu
Ob Nixilis, the Fallen
Reaper King
Ruhan of the Fomori
Hanna, Ship's Navigator
Ol
oro, Ageless Ascetic
Roon of the Hidden Realm
Nekusar, the Mindrazer

Sapling of Colfenor
Wrexial, the Risen Deep
Niv-Mizzet the Firemind
Ghost Council of Orzhova
Scion of the Ur-Dragon
Momir Vig, Simic Visionary

Child of Alara
Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund
Rith, the Awakener
Brion Stoutarm
Experiment Kraj
Razia, Boros Archangel
Grand Arbiter Augustin IV
Wort, Bogart Auntie
Kaalia of the Vast
Tariel, Reckoner of Souls

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-16 4:49 pm 

I wanted to make a Jaya Ballard, Task Mage deck, but then servant got banned. I understand the reason why because as fun as it could be it led to some unfun combos (ie Iona lock). I even got the sexy foil of her (the media insert one). God I love the way that foil looks.

In related news, water is wet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-16 8:16 pm 

Stardust wrote:
Banning Painter's Servant was one move that I did not agree with at all. The Painter's Servant/Iona lock was only a big problem because of Tooth and Nail, but if one of them had to go, Iona should have been the one.

Wouldn't that make Tooth and Nail the problem, then?

(my priorities are obvious, lol)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-16 8:27 pm 

phatJacob07 wrote:
Stardust wrote:
Banning Painter's Servant was one move that I did not agree with at all. The Painter's Servant/Iona lock was only a big problem because of Tooth and Nail, but if one of them had to go, Iona should have been the one.

Wouldn't that make Tooth and Nail the problem, then?

It certainly would be the enabler in that case, but tooth and nail isn't an issue. I don't feel like iona + ps is more of an issue than any other combo (again, I point to erayo + lab).

@glass: I think you missed all the interactions I pointed out, and the teysa combo mentioned. Again, the amount of interactions outside of those two is significant enough that I feel it should not be banned simply because it's a piece of those two combos. How often do you get milled by grindstone? in multiplayer, how often does Iona lock out a table? In my experience, almost never. Oh and Iona as a general in MWC is funny. There are far better choices than her, because the main reason she was good with PS is that they can both be cheated into play.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-16 9:50 pm 

Kalterwolf wrote:
I wanted to make a Jaya Ballard, Task Mage deck, but then servant got banned. I understand the reason why because as fun as it could be it led to some unfun combos (ie Iona lock). I even got the sexy foil of her (the media insert one). God I love the way that foil looks.
You can still use Distorting Lens.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-17 4:52 am 

Telekinesis wrote:
You can still use Distorting Lens.

Note that the card, while no Painter's Servant, is not quite useless even if Jaya somehow gets permanently neutralized. You can Disarm Swords of _&_ in mid-combat, and decide what is and isn't Shriekmaw-able.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-18 10:19 am 

Dude, I wanted to play painter's servant in my oona, queen of the fae deck. And I did for a while. (anyone want to guess whether I used it as a way of making sure that my oona was always giving me the full X faeries?)

But on the other hand, I can really see how it causes problems.

As for the erayo plus arcane lab soft lock-- you still have your manlands and other lands, and you still have your uncounterable spells and eldrazi triggers. I'm mostly thinking of artisan of kozilek as thats the most popular eldrazi in my area. Also, there are solid creatures with unearth etc. Erayo+ arcane lab is not terribly difficult to get around if its an issue. But the only way to get aroun iona is to discard your kederekt leviathan, then replay it. Then hope that someone has removal for iona followed by removal for painters servant-- or rather, you made sure to talk to people to make sure they do have instant speed removal/ counters saved up.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-18 11:31 am 

My playgroup has currently unbanned PS and banned Iona and grindstone. Grindstone sees no play, outside of the combo, and Iona had recently began seeing no play as well. We currently have an oona deck in the works by a new player, who expressed his wish to see ps unbanned, as well as a jaya deck. Will update more as we play more.

Also, considering testing out kokusho as a card, still banned as a general.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-18 12:52 pm 

"X card is banned" means, "Ask permission before playing X." Before starting a game, ask the people you're playing with, "I've got Painter's Servant in this deck, which I know is on the banned list, but I'm not playing either Iona or Grindstone. Are you all okay with that?" And unless they've got a particular hatred of the card (its interaction with Llawan can be annoying), you should be good to go. My friend's got a color hacking deck where Servant is an absolute necessity, so we don't have any problem with letting him play it.

Last edited by paperwarrior on 2011-Feb-16 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next