Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-18 4:14 am

Post subject: Re: What is going on with Rofellos?
AgePosted: 2010-Sep-12 7:56 pm 

intreped wrote:
24x30cl wrote:
Shriekmaw 60/60 Omnath? replay 57/57 Omnath

I suppose this would be possible if you had some colorless mana in your mana pool for some reason, but typically I would expect the Omnath to shrink by at least -5/-5, 3 for his mana cost and 2 additional for recasting him.

Tap some land? I think the -3/-3 was just an arbitrary number to indicate how futile it would be to kill Omnath without first nixing the ovaries.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Sep-13 1:55 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
intreped wrote:
24x30cl wrote:
Shriekmaw 60/60 Omnath? replay 57/57 Omnath

I suppose this would be possible if you had some colorless mana in your mana pool for some reason, but typically I would expect the Omnath to shrink by at least -5/-5, 3 for his mana cost and 2 additional for recasting him.

Tap some land? I think the -3/-3 was just an arbitrary number to indicate how futile it would be to kill Omnath without first nixing the ovaries.

Land? Nah, that was the Sol Ring, mana crypt, Basalt Monolith, Grim Monolith, and Everflowing Chalice, Thran Dynamo, mana vault, helm of awakening, Fellwar stone, and Emerald Medallion.

It really is surprising how quickly it gets expensive after the first few terrors, swords to plowshares, Path to Exile, doom blades and Terminates.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Sep-13 1:53 pm 

Last time I played against an Omnath deck, he dropped the enchantment that gives all creatures of the chosen creature type shroud. Cuts down on that problem quite a bit. Then you only have to pay for all the WoG, Day, Damnation, Plague Wind, Decree of Pain, Rout, etc...

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Sep-13 5:12 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Last time I played against an Omnath deck, he dropped the enchantment that gives all creatures of the chosen creature type shroud. Cuts down on that problem quite a bit. Then you only have to pay for all the WoG, Day, Damnation, Plague Wind, Decree of Pain, Rout, etc...

Steely Resolve

Retired decks:
Scion, of the Ur-Dragon-Dragons, Dragons everywhere
Wort, Boggart Auntie-Goblin Shenanigans
Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer-I will Prevail

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Sep-14 12:40 am 

Boshea wrote:
Sid the Chicken wrote:

Steely Resolve

I suppose its handy if you have more elementals, and green does have a few... I'll have to go check my deck. Whispersilk cloak seems better as it provides the unblockable, for basicly the same vulnerability.

Nothing more frustrating than having a big fatty that can't get through because of all the pathetic minions in the way.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Sep-23 2:37 am 

Z4N5H1N wrote:
One more thought: It's kind of lame that we even need a banned list for a casual format that is almost always played with friends (who are presumably capable of making kitchen-table rules when someone started abusing something.)

I have stupid friends who aren't able to comprehend subjective ban lists.

Even simple subjective ban lists such as panoptic mirror = unbanned, panoptic mirror + time walks of all varieties = banned.

I'm not going to brute force it. The ban list is necessary for these stupid people so I don't have hear "it's legal so I'm playing it" from them.

DCI Level 1 Judge.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Nov-28 11:27 am 

Emrakul came out in the roflamos unbanning trial period. and almost any Fun and non-degenerate use of Rofellos was instantly replaced by tutoring for emrakul and casting him on turn 4.

Emrakul was the catalyst for the banning of Roflamos as genereal, Tolarian Academy, Staff, and Channel.

As it was pointed out you can still use Roflamos as a non-general. Omnath is popular as his replacement in big mana mono green decks. If you're looking for a tighter elf theme deck then you still have some rather decent elf generals, Mayael is solid in a deck that runs elfs and fatties, Nath puts you in Black which gives you access to all the good tutors, to tutor your roflamos. Rhada is a cheap mana dork that is a good general for elfball type decks. Rhys the Redeemed is awesome in a token based deck.

Current General(s):
Grand Arbiter Augustin IV (Mr. Superman no here)

Offline Profile