Login | Register


All times are UTC - 7 hours


It is currently 2019-Oct-16 5:29 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Limited Resources???
AgePosted: 2008-May-04 6:10 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2008-May-04 6:05 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Wisconsin
Our local group has put a ban on Limited Resources b/c it is too powerful in a 3+ player game. Even at a two player level its annoying. Zur plus LR kind of ruins the game of playing big spells. Just wondering what everyone else thinks of this.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-May-04 7:02 pm 

Joined: 2008-Apr-08 10:05 pm
Age: Wyvern
I can definitely see it being busted, but since our group plays EDH more for fun then competitiveness, no one runs it since all the bit 'fun' spells cost more then 5

that, and if someone did run it, its not fun to just have everyone go 'yea we concede'


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-May-04 8:25 pm 

Joined: 2007-Jan-04 2:32 pm
Age: Wyvern
Some guy on the Internet wrote:
The reason why Limited Resources isn't banned is to see who plays it. If someone actually goes and plays it, you punch them in the face and never play with them again.


Names have been changed to protect privacy.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-May-04 11:35 pm 
EDH Rules Committee
User avatar

Joined: 2007-Jan-05 12:58 am
Age: Elder Dragon
I have a big hate on Limited Resources. I run monthly EDH tournaments at the Sentry Box in Calgary (show up at 12:00 on May 10!), and there are a couple of cards we banned in addition to the official list. Limited Resources is on top of the list.

_________________
Blog - Twitter


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-May-05 2:12 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2008-May-04 6:05 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Wisconsin
Yea, I'm beginning to feel the Limited Resources needs to be looked at with respect to the format. Many tutors (Idyllic, Enlightened, Demonic, Zur, etc) can all fetch it. Limited Resources is an easy 3rd-4th turn drop (to prevent any more lands coming into play) or late game drop (making everyone sac down to five lands). Like every card it can be dealt with in many ways, but its power level for cost is rediculous.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-May-05 6:24 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2006-May-09 8:05 pm
Age: Drake
Location: Calgary, AB, CA
Code:
(2008-04-28 21:57:59) Nirvana: Could go Ismaru and do the white weenie deck idea
(2008-04-28 21:59:24) TigTigger: And live the dream of a turn 3 Limited Resources in a 5-player game.
(2008-04-28 21:59:56) Nirvana: COUGH
(2008-04-28 22:00:00) Nirvana: God the suck
(2008-04-28 22:00:03) TigTigger: (or turn 2, depending on turn order)
(2008-04-28 22:00:05) Nirvana: That should be banned on principle
(2008-04-28 22:00:16) TigTigger: I have brought this point up.
(2008-04-28 22:00:23) TigTigger: Why is this card not banned?
(2008-04-28 22:00:29) TigTigger: Really, why?
(2008-04-28 22:00:30) Nirvana: Cause nobody plays it, I imagine.
(2008-04-28 22:00:35) TigTigger: That was the answer.
(2008-04-28 22:00:37) Nirvana: Im sure if someone did, it would suck ballz
(2008-04-28 22:00:44) TigTigger: That was my response.

_________________
Level 2 Judge, Calgary, AB.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-May-05 6:25 pm 

Joined: 2008-Apr-27 8:14 pm
Age: Drake
TigTigger wrote:
Code:
(2008-04-28 21:57:59) Nirvana: Could go Ismaru and do the white weenie deck idea
(2008-04-28 21:59:24) TigTigger: And live the dream of a turn 3 Limited Resources in a 5-player game.
(2008-04-28 21:59:56) Nirvana: COUGH
(2008-04-28 22:00:00) Nirvana: God the suck
(2008-04-28 22:00:03) TigTigger: (or turn 2, depending on turn order)
(2008-04-28 22:00:05) Nirvana: That should be banned on principle
(2008-04-28 22:00:16) TigTigger: I have brought this point up.
(2008-04-28 22:00:23) TigTigger: Why is this card not banned?
(2008-04-28 22:00:29) TigTigger: Really, why?
(2008-04-28 22:00:30) Nirvana: Cause nobody plays it, I imagine.
(2008-04-28 22:00:35) TigTigger: That was the answer.
(2008-04-28 22:00:37) Nirvana: Im sure if someone did, it would suck ballz
(2008-04-28 22:00:44) TigTigger: That was my response.


Not really any more to say then that!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-May-05 9:15 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2007-Aug-22 6:34 pm
Age: Dragon
Location: Pennsylvania
Is that quote from the EDH IRC chat?

I agree, its a pretty dumb card, and its fine as long as noone is dumb enough to play it...

norbert88

_________________
My EDH Decks:
Sol'kanar the Swamp King
Crovax, Ascendant Hero
Momir Vig, Simic Visionary
Tolsimir Wolfblood
Kangee, Aerie Keeper
Verdeloth the Ancient
Phelddagrif
Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind
Hakim, Loreweaver
Seizan, Perverter of Truth
Horde of Notions
Thelon of Havenwood
Zedruu the Greathearted
Lyzolda the Blood Witch

In progress:
RG Tribal Werewolves/Humans/Wolves


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-May-05 9:44 pm 

Joined: 2008-Apr-27 8:14 pm
Age: Drake
norbert88 wrote:
Is that quote from the EDH IRC chat?

I agree, its a pretty dumb card, and its fine as long as noone is dumb enough to play it...

norbert88


Except isn't that the problem? A card isn't fine as long as noone plays it. That sounds to me like the textbook definition of a card in need of banning.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-May-06 1:15 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2008-Mar-24 12:14 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Oakland, CA
Nirvana wrote:
A card isn't fine as long as noone plays it. That sounds to me like the textbook definition of a card in need of banning.

Me too. Banned status just enforces Unplayed status.
I'm in favor of banning LR.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-May-07 3:41 pm 
EDH Rules Committee
User avatar

Joined: 2006-May-09 4:17 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Calgary, AB
Limited Resources is already slated for banning with the next set of rules updates.

It was nominally not banned because it never got played, but we decided a few weeks ago to give it the official axe.

Besides, it was useful for detecting jerks... like some sort of red herring. If someone was willing to play it just because it wasn't on the banned list, you probably didn't want to play them anyway ;)

Gavin


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-May-07 4:30 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2008-May-04 6:05 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Wisconsin
Cool thanks for the update! Glad to hear it is getting banned. My first thought when I saw the format was Limited Resources but friends quickly assured me not to.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-May-07 4:46 pm 

Joined: 2007-Jun-04 6:34 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Gainsville, FL
Genomancer wrote:
Limited Resources is already slated for banning with the next set of rules updates.

It was nominally not banned because it never got played, but we decided a few weeks ago to give it the official axe.

Besides, it was useful for detecting jerks... like some sort of red herring. If someone was willing to play it just because it wasn't on the banned list, you probably didn't want to play them anyway ;)

Gavin


Hear! Hear! Evil card.

_________________
Growing Darkness, taking Dawn; I was me, but now he is gone - Metallica, "Fade to Black"


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-May-09 9:59 am 

Joined: 2008-Apr-24 12:23 pm
Age: Wyvern
I just built a Grand Arbiter deck for duels and limited resources is ridiculous in it. play the resources with control backup and then start to bounce your opponents lands at the en of their turn, then play your own. quite quickly you can get a 7-3 land split with the Arbiter in play it is pretty much unstoppable. I played 3 games and got both Arbiter and resources out in 2 of those games won both, second time my opponent destroyed it. But a 7-3 land split with Mr Arbiter was too much to overcome.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-May-09 11:42 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2007-Sep-21 8:22 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Philatio wrote:
Genomancer wrote:
Limited Resources was useful for detecting jerks... like some sort of red herring. If someone was willing to play it just because it wasn't on the banned list, you probably didn't want to play them anyway ;)

Gavin


Hear! Hear! Evil card.


DAMN IT! Had I but known, I would have constructed a deck with the sole purpose being to tutor for Limited Resources and stall the game while it was in play. Next time you guys better give me some advanced warning so I can start breaking the card prior to it's banning. Like playing Gifts in Vintage. Any fool could see Gifts was broken as fuck. Where's the list of the broken as fuck cards for EDH that aren't banned? I feel saddened by this loss of me annoying people. But . . . I only eat the sour cream and onion herring so am I not officially red?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 33 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: