Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jul-20 12:17 pm

Post subject: Sideboard questions
AgePosted: 2019-May-13 6:13 am 

I’m planning to put the new alarm in a colorless commander deck and had a few questions

1 I have heard the sideboard is only 10 cards is that true

2 if I put a legendary creature of a another color in my sideboard (as a alternative commander) can I sideboard cards of that color too or do all cards have to be colorless

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Sideboard questions
AgePosted: 2019-May-13 6:22 am 

The official rules don't allow for a sideboard, but you're free to adapt the rules to something that you like more. Just ask the people you (intend to) play with.

Personally I feel sideboards are a bad fit for EDH, part of the appeal is that you're stuck with 100 cards. That doesn't mean I change cards, I do, sometimes even between matches. That's a lot like sideboarding.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-13 7:07 am 

Thx

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-13 7:50 am 

crh1985 wrote:
1 I have heard the sideboard is only 10 cards is that true

There is no official sideboard for EDH, as Shabbaman pointed out. Furthermore, EDH rule 13 specifies that abilities that work with things outside the game do not function without prior agreement from all participants. He can still grab things from exile though.

crh1985 wrote:
2 if I put a legendary creature of a another color in my sideboard (as a alternative commander) can I sideboard cards of that color too or do all cards have to be colorless

If you want to switch commanders between games you can do that, and then the CI of your deck will be whatever your new commander's is. But if you're building a sideboard, logically it should only include cards that are legal for the current commander - meaning no duplicates of cards already in the deck, nothing banned, nothing off-color, etc. You wouldn't show up to a standard event with 4 additional copies of a spell in your mainboard in the side, or a set of Black Lotuses, and the same logic should apply here.

All that said, the "wishboard" concept has been discussed at great length in other threads if you're interested in more information.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-May-14 10:22 am 

Because getting to say "I told you so" is fun, this conversation was had in the "Proposed Rule 14" thread.

specter404 wrote:
papa_funk wrote:
There isn't an explicit rule about sideboards because it wouldn't do anything.

I can appreciate the standard approach to rules systems as complex as those for magic being to make them as streamlined as possible. However the profit/loss margin here seems like it should be in the black.

One line of text: Sideboards, by default, are not used in Commander.

Sideboards are used in every other commonly played format, this is a strange feature of our game so I think it is worth calling it out for the sake of people in the community who need that.

It might not do anything, but at least then it's clear that it does nothing.Null Rod

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile