Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-22 11:11 pm

Post subject: Obscure Voltron Commanders
AgePosted: 2018-Aug-17 4:35 am 

Hey. I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were for some more obscure Voltron commanders. Thanks!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Obscure Voltron Commanders
AgePosted: 2018-Aug-17 6:14 am 

I have three voltron decks that are all pretty non-standard choices:

Rhys the Redeemed aura-based voltron deck: The fact that he comes down turn one can allow you to do an absurd amount of damage before people can mount a defense.
Also, the first game is almost a free win since they assume you are a tokens deck.

Riku of Two Reflections instant-based voltron deck: Turn 5 Riku, Turn 6 Might of Old Krosa copied, Berserk copied.
Best part of this deck is voltroning one of your opponents' commanders while it is attacking another player. (Or just playing Portal Mage to force the issue).

Kodama of the North Tree voltron: You have to play clever effects like Wolfir Silverheart, Opal Palace, and Hero's Blade in order to actually voltron him, but when you do, he is really hard to deal with.
It's pretty funny when your opponents are freaking out because they don't have an answer to Adventurers' Guildhouse.

Someone suggested a Karador, Ghost Chieftain bestow creatures deck in the "I need a hero" thread, I think that would be pretty cool.

Gisela, the Broken Blade would be awesome since if you have the other angel in your deck, the melded version will deal commander damage.

Vaevictis Asmadi, the Dire: you could try to stack the top of your deck with a huge Aura like Eldrazi Conscription or Epic Proportions so you can get it on his attack trigger and hold mana up for Fling or Momentous Fall.

Riku: Pump Spells
Teneb: Life Manipulation
Kiki-Jiki: Big Red
Geth: Nim
Kodama of the North Tree: Hard Mode Voltron
Nin: Elementals
Sram: Jankstorm
Zur: Zombies
Rhys the Redeemed: Aura Voltron
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh: Chandras
Ojutai, Soul of Winter: Tap Out Control
Alesha: Allies
Inalla: Treasures
Vial Smasher: Lava Axes
Atraxa: Counterless Keywords
Ludevic and Tymna: Curses

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Aug-17 4:08 pm 

I have Mistform Ultimus... Lords Tribal can be really fun, although admittedly it's not very strong -> https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/house-of-lords-lord-tribal/

And I have tried various versions of less-than-five-color Sliver decks. So far The Mimeoplasm, Karador, as well as Anax and Cymede have been rather disappointing for me. I'll keep trying though. Damia looks promising at least.

Generals:
too many, and always changing... except:

Rakdos, Lord of Riots (Demon Tribal)
Melek, Izzet Paragon (Dragonstorm) -> these must stay because of a house rule

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Aug-18 3:21 pm 

Basically anything that protects itself is a good Voltron commander - having indestructible is nice. Having hexproof is better. Access to more colors is better, especially if you're looking to use auras.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Aug-19 12:34 am 

What Sid said, except more general. Generally any commander can be viable as a voltron if they meet any one of the following requirements:

1. Has some sort of protection (shroud, indestructible, blinking, etc)

2. Has a way to boost its damage output (power increase, double strike, infect, extra combat steps) or has a base power of 7+.

3. Has some sort of evasion (trample, flying, unblockable, etc)

4. Providing some other advantage (card advantage, removal, ramp, etc) when paired with standard Voltron cards (Sram, Senior Edificer for example).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Aug-19 2:58 am 

My favorite voltron deck that i built was wydwen. It played as a control land go deck. My mana was always open for whatever it needed to be used as. Usually flashing my general in and equipping it on my turn after a board wipe with something like empyrial plate. Always having answers and playing cards like opportunity when nothing needed answering. And never worying about commander tax. Admittedly, derevi would be almost a straight upgrade to the concept if you don’t mind losing black for green and white.

Retired:
Krenko, Mob Boss (Goblins)
Zedruu the Christmas Goat (group hug)
Ramses Overdark (Assassin Deck)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Aug-19 4:16 pm 

I don't know if it's a "Voltron" thing- but I use equipment in my Selvala, Explorer Returned "One for All" deck (yes, that joke is probably exactly what you think it is)

But that's also because I see Voltron, Tribal etc. more as substrategies- and since my Sel deck is probably better described as "Mighty Mouse" or "Maverick"- suiting up dudes for things like Cultivator of Blades or firing off Secure the Wastes to fireball or setup Might of the Masses dunks just makes sense (also have Marwyn, the Nurturer as a liutenant because Sel turns her into Worn Powerstone, even if I only play 7 elves)

Defender
Wall of chat exceeds at using a lot of words to mischaracterize opposing view points.

Warp Riders (Ephara Solar Flare)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Aug-19 4:19 pm 

I play a red-green Thromok the Insatiable deck that has a token theme but then Thromok can come in and eat a bunch of creatures to become ridiculously huge and swing in for a million damage. I guess that counts as Voltron in a way?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Aug-20 9:31 pm 

Doran, the Siege Tower can make a good stealth Voltron General. Toughness-only pump is so much cheaper than power and P/T pump (e.g. Aegis of the Heavens, (Doran, the Siege)Tower Defense and Slagwurm Armor). Drop Alpha Authority or Champion's Helm on him; then use instants to pump for lethal when unblocked.

Or
Go Treefolk Tribal, and watch bonuses stack in Doran's favor without obviously setting up the Voltron Kill.

Or

Don't be stealth about it and just choose Tribal, Enchantments or Equipment and boldly power-play. And if you aren't tribal, Vhati il-Dal loves making anything that blocks Doran an effective 1/1.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-07 7:01 am 

I made a wicked Glissa the Traitor voltron deck. People like to blow up Swords. Glissa gets them back and people tend to not like blocking deathtouch + first strike

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile