Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-16 9:55 am

Post subject: A wide strategy, including green (but not Simic or Bant)
AgePosted: 2017-Dec-04 5:50 pm 

I have this stack of cards on my desk that are best when I have a bunch of creatures on the table. Harvest Season, Throne of the God-Pharaoh, Majestic Myriarch, Growing Rites of Itlimoc, Regal Force, lots of older cards, etc.

The only problem is, I don't know how to create a wide strategy. What do people use to go wide? Regular creatures? Tokens? I have all these support cards, but it's like there's no bones for the meat.

How do you go wide? What general do you use? Halp!

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Online Profile  

Post subject: Re: A wide strategy, including green (but not Simic or Bant)
AgePosted: 2017-Dec-04 6:40 pm 

Hazezon can help you go wide. His problem is that any spell that poops on him poops on your army. You could maybe find a dumb card that makes his Sand Warriors lose or both of those types, i don't know if it exists.

Marath is the same colors if you like it, and can make dudes.

Prossh too but maybe your locals/meta will just dunk on your expecting Food Chain bs.

Or you could do something completely different than that, and go with a 4 or 5 color commander and exclude most creature cards, but play all the PWs that make tokens.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-05 12:36 am 

Sovarius wrote:
Hazezon can help you go wide. His problem is that any spell that poops on him poops on your army. You could maybe find a dumb card that makes his Sand Warriors lose or both of those types, i don't know if it exists.
If you ditch Hazezon before the trigger resolves on your next upkeep, you can avoid his bad stuff (Trigger to create sand warriors on the stack, sacrifice him to High Market, trigger to exile all sand warriors goes on the stack and resolves, trigger to create sand warriors resolves).

It's not a hard problem to solve, but Hazezon himself is a little out of my price range at the moment.

Quote:
Marath is the same colors if you like it, and can make dudes.

Prossh too but maybe your locals/meta will just dunk on your expecting Food Chain bs.

Or you could do something completely different than that, and go with a 4 or 5 color commander and exclude most creature cards, but play all the PWs that make tokens.

Fine suggestions! I think you're right that I'm going to find myself in the Naya or Jund area.

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-05 11:34 am 

Ghave makes a good wide strategy - mine is fungus tribal. Generally any weenie tribal can make a good wide strategy, especially if they have token support. Though Aluren and similar shenanigans can lessen a need for tokens.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-05 12:51 pm 

My "wide" green deck uses Tolsimir and creates a bunch of tokens. I'm going to ask my group if I can add Earl of Squirrel into it, so all my Soldiers/Saprolings/Insects/Elephants/Cats are Squirrels ;)

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-09 6:50 am 

I really like Throne of the God-Pharaoh. I'm working on a token deck and it will be a win-con.

Poop out lots of tokens. Tap them for mana with Cryptolith Rite or Citanul Hierophants. Do stuff with the mana. Dome everyone for tons.

Right now my token deck is going to be a Trostani GW deck but I think Red is really needed for the Throne strategy. Impact Tremors and what not when the tokens land, do stuff with them (I think there's some "Creatures get 'tap: do 1 damage'" cards in Red), sac them with Goblin Bombardment and ping away with Goblin Sharpshooter. Lots of shenanigans!

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-09 9:13 pm 

scatteredsun wrote:
Right now my token deck is going to be a Trostani GW deck but I think Red is really needed for the Throne strategy. Impact Tremors and what not when the tokens land, do stuff with them (I think there's some "Creatures get 'tap: do 1 damage'" cards in Red), sac them with Goblin Bombardment and ping away with Goblin Sharpshooter. Lots of shenanigans!

Oh, oh, oh, GR goblins is loads of fun!! Wort, the Raidmother has everything you need: Token generating creatures, copying token generating cards/burn/ramp, Panharmonicon, Goblins, Fecundity.

Basically, avoid putting Purphoros in and you'll have lots of fun.

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-10 9:23 am 

Tokens are really the way to go. You can go super wide with things like Doubling Season, Parallel Lives, Anointed Procession, especially when you get multiple of them out (all 3 would be 8x tokens).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-11 2:13 am 

I got so excited about this deck that I actually broke down Norin for parts and built it (realising as I did so that I had started building a Mazarek deck before Christmas that I never got back to. Another deck to build!!)

Basically Goblin Warchief to give haste, Cryptolith Rite & Mana Echoes & Ashnod's Altar for mana and a very big Genesis Wave and Prossh, who was about to go infinite with his own altars, was toast. Vona, briefly caught with a non-hasty Vona, fell soon after.

I think Genesis Wave is a drug.

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-17 8:20 am 

scatteredsun wrote:
I really like Throne of the God-Pharaoh. I'm working on a token deck and it will be a win-con.
This is definitely in the stack of go-wide cards I have and will almost certainly be included in whatever I make.

Quote:
Poop out lots of tokens.

This is the problem I'm having. What are you using to generate tokens? To put it simply, my game plan has always looked like:

Step 1: Include cards like Throne, Gaea's Cradle, Cryptolith Rite, Beastmaster's Ascension, Harvest Season.
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Profit!

Is it worth it to play things like Captain's Call? Or do you need more continuous generators like Verdant Force... or are those too unreliable? All the same token? Or a mishmash of whatever tokens you can generate?

Quote:
Tap them for mana with Cryptolith Rite or Citanul Hierophants. Do stuff with the mana. Dome everyone for tons.

Yep, those are definitely in the pile.

Viperion wrote:
so all my Soldiers/Saprolings/Insects/Elephants/Cats are Squirrels

What cards are you using to make those? Anything with the words 'put' 'tokens' 'battlefield' in the oracle text? What are your favourite token generators?

zimagic wrote:
I think Genesis Wave is a drug.
It is. :lol:

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-17 9:53 am 

Good questions. I'm running into the same problem.

What are the token generating all stars?

I have plans for:
Hazezon Tamar
White Sun's Zenith
Avenger of Zendikar
Rhys the Redeemed
Sacred Mesa
Elspeth, Sun's Champion
Awakening Zone
Waiting in the Weeds
Chancellor of the Forge

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-19 5:38 am 

Token generating all stars? Well, there's lots of different types. Here's some I use among three different decks:

Kazandu Tuskcaller, Freyalise Llanowar's Fury, Secure the Wastes, Ant Queen, Nemata Grove Guardian, Wolfbriar Elemental, Mycoloth, Ezuri's Predation, Awakening Zone, From Beyond, Squirrel Nest, Arachnogenesis, Alliance of Arms, Deploy to the Front, Nomads' Assembly, Sylvan Offering, and Tempt with Vengeance. (On my phone, so leaving links out for now.)

These have all served me well and I certainly use other good ones, but these all might more specific to different strategies you don't want to explore.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-20 7:34 am 

@Segrus

Thanks, these were helpful :D

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-21 4:45 am 

My favorite token strategy is Mirror Entity. It doesn't need anything else, but random tribal effects won't hurt the deck either. Eldrazi Displacer has nothing to do with tokens, but the card is a lot of fun and good with CITP token makers.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-21 11:19 am 

Non-creatures with effects that can generate tokens over time can be very effective in metagames that prioritise creature interaction. Cards like Sprout Swarm, Primeval Bounty, Wolfcaller's Howl and most green planeswalkers fill this role. I use this for my mono-green super-friends control deck and I expect it would be the preference of slow, controlly token decks.

Another option is "army in a can" cards like Avenger of Zendikar. They're typically cards that are fantastic on their own and playing them in a token centric deck just makes them more fantastic.

Then there's token engines. The specifics of what you use will likely be based around your commander. A Marath token engine deck would feature lots of ramp with doubling season / hardened scales / Illusionist's Bracers effects so that Marath can generate +1/+1 counters, tokens and direct damage limited only by your giant mana pool. These are a lot like combo decks, as they skirt a very fine line between efficient, synergistic engines and infinite combos.

Yasova Dragonclaw - Yasova Tinyclaw/Slightly-less-tinyclaw
Kruphix, God of Horizons - That Which Was Taken by Kruphix
Selvala, Explorer Returned - Blackless dredge
Freyalise, Llanowar's Fury - Monogreen Superfriends
Pharika, God of Affliction - Hemlock

Offline Profile