Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-14 5:10 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Grixmas 2017
AgePosted: 2017-Sep-24 7:19 am 

St. Nic Bolas wrote:
Alter Requests - Specific theme (something like "any card altered to a 'My Little Pony theme'" - Segrus' Request)

Dear leader Bolas, but you've mistaken me for somebody else. I don't wish to deprive them of the honor of a My Little Pony booster.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Oct-01 5:00 am 

One week into registration, and we have interest from eight parties, but only three registered. Just over three weeks remain to register.

Those that have registered, please update your linked post with your demands.

-Nic

Grixmas 2012 | Grixmas 2013 | Grixmas 2014 | Grixmas 2015 | Grixmas 2016 | Grixmas 2017 | Grixmas 2018 | Grixmas 2019

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Oct-03 5:32 am 

I want Brainstorms or Ink-Eyes, or any other cards really...

If you have a G/W general that you think would be cool to build with (Rhys the Redeemed hint, hint) that would work too!

I have a RGB deck that is slowly becoming only Grixmas Alters, I will have to post a deck list soon. It is a decent deck as I don't just throw anything in there, but if it is G or R or B and Grixmas it will go in over something that is just generically powerful, for example Bartel Runeaxe is the commander because someone sent me one that year, and ironically I altered one and sent it to my victim person as well.

Or a Black Lotus!

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Last edited by Inkeyes22 on 2017-Oct-27 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Oct-08 10:04 am 

Finally got around to updating my 'demands' post. There really aren't a lot of people interested this year, are there?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Oct-08 11:04 am 

Segrus wrote:
Finally got around to updating my 'demands' post.

Updated

Segrus wrote:
There really aren't a lot of people interested this year, are there?

Yeah, two weeks in and only 5 registrations. Not even all the people who posted interest on page 1 have registered. I had hoped sending the mass PM to previous participants would get the ball rolling, but no dice yet. We'll see how this year goes, but it may be time to retire Grixmas after 2017, just as Iron Chef died as participation waned.

Grixmas 2012 | Grixmas 2013 | Grixmas 2014 | Grixmas 2015 | Grixmas 2016 | Grixmas 2017 | Grixmas 2018 | Grixmas 2019

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Oct-08 12:19 pm 

St. Nic Bolas wrote:
Yeah, two weeks in and only 5 registrations. Not even all the people who posted interest on page 1 have registered. I had hoped sending the mass PM to previous participants would get the ball rolling, but no dice yet. We'll see how this year goes, but it may be time to retire Grixmas after 2017, just as Iron Chef died as participation waned.

This year in general has gone without a lot of interaction on the forum as a whole. I'm not entirely sure why. Supposedly Commander is still as vibrant and popular as ever, but somehow mostly silence here. I know I could stand to post more often.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Oct-08 2:15 pm 

Segrus wrote:
St. Nic Bolas wrote:

This year in general has gone without a lot of interaction on the forum as a whole. I'm not entirely sure why. Supposedly Commander is still as vibrant and popular as ever, but somehow mostly silence here. I know I could stand to post more often.

Life has taken me out of the equation on this, I check the forums like once a week. Don't know enough of the new sets to even comment. I don't get to play as much anymore. This though, this exchange always gets me back in.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Oct-08 7:48 pm 

I'm in. Hope I have something I can send out.

My wants is kinda complicated but anything from the 183 wants from my puca would be fine. There's some Aether Revolt, intro pack cards, Ixalan, commander 2017 etc. on top of the wall of foils. If whoever gets me can't find something on there, just lmk and I'll find something else for them.

https://pucatrade.com/profiles/show/1247

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Oct-08 10:18 pm 

Tim Proctor wrote:
This though, this exchange always gets me back in.

Only because I seized power from you and took control back in '14.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Oct-09 12:05 am 

Quote:
MTG COMMANDER FORUMS, RAVNICA

Tim first found the dragon's invitation tucked into a copy of the book he was reading.

His name was written on the front in golden ink, and the paper had the distant scent of sandalwood and cinders and magic. Whoever had spelled this here had a delicate enough touch to know just how to reach him.

At first he was annoyed—the Proctors had been assigned to a new client, and he had had his fill of shadows and secrets in the dark places of Ravnica for one day. He was looking forward to nestling in by the fireplace in his flat with a Planeswalker novel he picked up on his last holiday. But that irritation vanished when he read what the invitation said.

"MEDITATION PLANE"

Tim narrowed his eyes. He held the paper up to his eyes and tilted the note. The light of the fire reflected a faint blue haze over the words, and he realized the ink had been enchanted with some sort of information.

He held a hand over the letters and immediately knew where he was meant to go and what he had to do when he arrived.

It came to him in a flash—a faraway plane with an artificial texture about it, blue waters and hills that flew up and away from their base, with its location in the Multiverse delicately placed in his mind. And once he arrived, a spell to prove he was who he said he was to be granted entrance.

Tim was intrigued. The whole business felt like a trap, so he put on his sneakers in the event he had to make an escape.

He concentrated on the location in his mind, his room fell into shadow, and he planeswalked through a dark slice in the air.

He arrived in a courtyard filled with shallow water surrounded on all sides by a cage of violet arcs of lightning.

It was alarming, but Tim remembered what the other half of the note had conveyed. He did his best to remember the spell to grant his entrance.

He held one hand out and traced a wide circle in the air in front of his. The other hand flicked a series of sharp gestures. Tim channelled enough mana into the spell to manifest a slight glow of dark energy as the fingers of his outstretched hand completed the circle.

The glow vanished, and the cage of magic disappeared. The password had worked.

And a dragon flickered in front of him.

He was golden, vast and sinuous, with an unreadable expression and a strange calmness to his presence. Tim waded ankle-deep onto the plane with confidence.

He had never seen a dragon so immense yet so human. It unnerved him, but he refused to show any intimidation.

"Tim, Father of the Proctors," he said in a voice like thunder, "I'm glad you received my invitation. I am Nicol Bolas, and I would like to unburden you of a great weight."

Tim crossed his arms, unbothered. "I'm not looking to sell any children," he responded in a bored tone.

"I am uninterested in your offspring……. yet."

He stilled.

Tim had never been hired to do anything outside his usual remit before.

His ears began to ring, and he had the odd sense that the dragon overheard that thought.

He lifted his mass to its full height. Nicol Bolas towered over his, a gold streak against the sky, posture as far from reptilian as his anatomy would allow.

"You wish to lead . . ." he mused, to Tim's horror. ". . . You crave a better world for those you call your own. You would pay whatever cost to deliver them the respect they deserve."

You read my mind?

I am currently reading your mind.

Tim's arms had dropped to his sides. His lips were parted in terror and his ears were still ringing at the dragon's intrusion, and he began to charge the magic necessary to petrify a foe this large.

The dragon lowered his head. His eyes were as large as dinner plates, his teeth as long as daggers. Nicol Bolas smiled.

"I can make you Guildmaster of the Proctors, Tim."

His breath caught in his chest.

He thought of Mary, of the women, of the rest of the Proctor Lumberjacks and the malignant Jed who reigned with casual ruin over the most downtrodden of the downtrodden. He remembered his years of isolation, and the heinous cruelty of the Yokels, and how no group deserved to suffer as much as those who would subjugate his own.

Eliminating that hell was all he ever wanted.

He responded with trepidation. "What is it you desire in return?"

"There exists a task you accomplish at the close of each year. That task is known as “Grixmas”. Retrieve the names, summon the lists, and inadvertently bring cheer to your fellow man. The power it grants sounds ….. Intoxicating! Give this to me and I will grant you the means to lead your guild to the glory it deserves. You will have an empire, Tim, this exchange prove profitable."

He was humbled, alarmed, and excited all at once. No one had been stupid enough to try to take on The Task before.

Everything about this felt dangerous. Nothing about this beast was trustworthy. But Tim thought back to his life of Grixmas after Grixmas, card after card, playing a role assigned for him with no opportunity to escape.

The dragon was staring.

He wanted an answer.

And he wanted to lead.

Hoping that this wasn’t some sick Yokel joke, he bowed.

"I accept your terms," said Tim.

I can double-cross him if this goes south.

"No," said Nicol Bolas. "You cannot."

He waved a claw, and Tim felt the ringing in his ear vanish. The dragon had departed his mind.

"You will need this," he said, holding his claw up again. Something heavy fell into the pocket of his overalls.

"It is the thaumatic compass," said the dragon. "It will lead you back to the Game when you believe you have gotten out. Again and again. Glad to be rid of the blasted thing!"

The dragon held out his upright claw.

". . . You will also need to know how to sail."

The impact of the psychic weight made Tim hit the ground.

He fell to his hands and knees and landed in the thin layer of water that covered this plane. He gasped at the influx of knowledge. Spinnaker whipstaff leeward leeboard forecastle back splice moonraker headway athwartships—Tim's mind was overcome with an ocean's worth of knowledge. He grit his teeth and lowered his aching head until his forehead touched the water.

He inhaled. Exhaled.

He limply stood. The vast catalogue of new nautical knowledge in his head felt like a hangover and a study session combined in one foul package. He successfully avoided throwing up.

"You'd be surprised what one learns over millennia of boredom," mused the dragon. "I never found the knowledge useful, so I’m dumping it on you. Who knows, you may rent a gondola one day on a trip to Venice.”

Tim was trembling, and his head was aching. Bowline heet bend figure eight clove hitch—the terms and techniques and libraries' worth of knowledge were crashing around the sides of his mind, tumbling over themselves as he mentally tried to catalogue it all.

The dragon did not care.

"Depart. You will not be able to return until someone corrals you into an ill-judged game of Planechase."

The end is worth the means, Tim told himself, his mind still categorizing the lump sum of techniques and terms the dragon had impressed into his brain. If I do this, I will get everything I've ever wanted for myself and my own. And know how to sail!!

The area around him darkened into shadow. Tim stepped through a rip of night in the midday air and planeswalked home.

He had preparations to make.

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Oct-09 8:48 am 

HAHA that's marvelous.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Oct-10 8:08 pm 

Not quite how I remember it; I'm sure there was more begging involved. But it'll do.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Oct-12 10:43 am 

6 victims participants and counting.

Less than subtle reminder:

- If you have registered and not updated your demands post... Stop Being Lazy!

- If you have expressed interested and not registered... Stop Being Lazier!

- Lurkers (we know you're there, we can see the view count go up), Stop Being Laziest and join in the slaughter fun.

-Nic

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Oct-12 11:33 pm 

Oups.

Demands:
I always feel really greedy writing these things. Oh well, it is Grixmas after all!

I only play Commander now so I'm looking for cards to fill out decks or to make them all foil. I accept any language, I’m not overly fussy about condition or set.

I have just under 200 wants on Puca (https://pucatrade.com/profiles/about/1247) and that's pretty much what I'm looking for in Magic at the moment. If it's on the list in foil, I'm not looking for non-foil versions.

I missed out on pretty much everything from Aether Revolt onwards apart from a couple of pick-ups, so there's a cards on there from that, Amonkhet, Hour of Dev, Commander 2017, Ixalan in addition to my projects:

Full art land foils, filling out my planeswalker collection (please let there be one in Unglued!!), foiling Eldrazi & Sydri decks, pick-ups for UB Zombies & Gonti, a couple of Masterpieces, a goblin general, an elspeth token....

There's loads of stuff on there.

I play Norin (goblin/purphoros), Gonti (MBC/blink), Sydri (non-combo robots), Atraxa (superfriends), Eldrazi (BUG), Marath (Legends of Naya Wedge), Mimeoplasm (run of the mill reanimator) & Anafenza (not particuliarly hate-bear humans). If you think of some off-the-wall tech cards that could go into those decks and make them fun, don't be shy.

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Oct-16 11:28 pm 

I'm a Lurker. Sorry Bolas can't target me. I do like watching all the fun!

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next