Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-16 10:33 am

Post subject: Surrak Simic Beatdown
AgePosted: 2017-Aug-03 3:33 am 

For a long time I've wanted to make a Temur deck, and a Surrak-focused one in particular, and I've just finished putting together the first one I'm actually fairly content with. I'd be interested in your feedback on it, on where it can be shored up in its weaknesses, or where it's going overboard in any area more than necessary.

Budget: I want to keep the value of the deck under $200, and currently almost all of this is thrown together with owned cards from Commander 2016 or previous sets I played. I'd prefer to keep the cost of individual new cards below $10 (Primal Vigor being an exception).

My meta: Local gaming store with random friendly people, no consistent crowd. Their decks have been on roughly equal match with the Commander 2016 precons. People play in good humour and for fun. I have only been a few times and haven't noticed anything consistent about the meta, beyond that one regular likes to bring in chaotic subversive decks that play cards like Timesifter and Thieves' Auction (but they're fun to play against).

My strategy: This is a beatdown deck that focuses on winning through creature damage via progressively huge creatures. It focuses on creatures that will give themselves +1/+1 counters, then some other creatures that will give them even more or spread +1/+1 counters to the rest, and beating the opponents over the top of their creatures with trample damage. One of the best case scenarios would be having out Surrak Dragonclaw, Hamletback Goliath, and Deepglow Skate copied by a Progenitor Mimic.

This deck is vulnerable to being taken out by a creature wipe, so it's got some insurance against that: Swan Song, Stubborn Denial, Disdainful Stroke, Heroic Intervention, and Stalking Vengeance (the last of which won't stop my creatures being destroyed, but will make someone think twice about destroying them).

Going wide: since I've got a handful of "+1/+1 counters on everything" effects, and since going over the top might not always work, and since I like these cards, I've packed in Mycoloth and Tana, the Bloodsower on the off-chance I run into them.

Grenzo, Havoc Raiser and Frenzied Fugue let me make use of my opponents' creatures.

Quote:
Commander: Surrak Dragonclaw

Creature (33 not including Surrak)
Champion of Lambholt
Conclave Naturalists
Deepglow Skate
Fangren Firstborn
Fathom Mage
Forgotten Ancient
Greenwarden of Murasa
Grenzo, Havoc Raiser
Gyre Sage
Hamletback Goliath
Kalonian Hydra
Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs
Lifeblood Hydra
Master Biomancer
Mycoloth
Pathbreaker Ibex
Primeval Protector
Progenitor Mimic
Realm Seekers
Rubblebelt Raiders
Scavenging Ooze
Scourge of the Throne
Selvala, Heart of the Wilds
Shaman of the Great Hunt
Stalking Vengeance
Stonehoof Chieftain
Tana, the Bloodsower
Taurean Mauler
Thrummingbird
Undergrowth Champion
Vizier of the Menagerie
Vorel of the Hull Clade
Zhur-Taa Ancient

Enchantment (8)
Berserkers' Onslaught
Bred for the Hunt
Durable Handicraft
Evolutionary Escalation
Frenzied Fugue
Hardened Scales
Primal Vigor
Temur Ascendancy

Artifact (6)
Commander's Sphere
Conqueror's Flail
Dragon Throne of Tarkir
Hammer of Purphoros
Lightning Greaves
Sword of the Animist

Sorcery (9)
Blasphemous Act
Chandra's Ignition
Cultivate
Curse of the Swine
Decimate
Explosive Vegetation
Hull Breach
Rishkar's Expertise
Verdant Confluence

Instant (6)
Beast Within
Disdainful Stroke
Divergent Transformations
Heroic Intervention
Stubborn Denial
Swan Song

Land (37)
6x Forest
4x Mountain
3x Island
Alchemist's Refuge
Command Tower
Evolving Wilds
Exotic Orchard
Frontier Bivouac
Gruul Turf
Halimar Depths
Llanowar Reborn
Looming Spires
Mosswort Bridge
Myriad Landscape
Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
Opal Palace
Oran-Rief, the Vastwood
Rootbound Crag
Rugged Highlands
Rupture Spire
Simic Growth Chamber
Temple of Abandon
Temple of Mystery
Temple of the False God
Terramorphic Expanse
Thornwood Falls
Transguild Promenade

This deck can also be sorted by category/function on TappedOut.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Surrak Simic Beatdown
AgePosted: 2017-Aug-03 8:04 am 

Krosan Grip and/or either Reclamation Sage, Trygon Predator or Acidic Slime would not go amiss, you have a couple of ways to deal with annoying artifacts and enchantments, but one or two more can't hurt.

Gath Immortal wrote:
Twenty Kavus and a Dream is not a legacy deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-04 12:47 pm 

Unless I'm mistaken, you've only included three trample sources? I feel like maybe you'll need more, especially being so combat oriented. It could be enough, but I've found with my Thromok deck I'm always wanting another trample source (or something to make creatures unblockable).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-05 1:21 am 

kirkusjones wrote:
Krosan Grip and/or either Reclamation Sage, Trygon Predator or Acidic Slime would not go amiss, you have a couple of ways to deal with annoying artifacts and enchantments, but one or two more can't hurt.

I've got: Conclave Naturalists (A or E), Hull Breach (A and/or E), Decimate (A and E and creature and land), Beast Within (any permanent). I guess that is only four, and I could better go for 5-6. Trygon Predator was on my radar and so were Artifact Mutation and Argentum Armor.

Maybe Trygon + Mutation?

Segrus wrote:
Unless I'm mistaken, you've only included three trample sources? I feel like maybe you'll need more, especially being so combat oriented. It could be enough, but I've found with my Thromok deck I'm always wanting another trample source (or something to make creatures unblockable).

Let's see, I've got: Surrak Dragonclaw, Pathbreaker Ibex, Stonehoof Chieftain, and Dragon Throne of Tarkir. I also have Champioin of Lambholt for evasion.

Since my commander grants trample, I was cautious to add more trample effects since they could wind up redundant.

I could also add Nylea, God of the Hunt or Tuskguard Captain as trample sources, both of which remain useful whether I do or don't grant my commander. For pure evasion I could go Thassa, God of the Sea or Marchesa's Smuggler or Rogue's Passage or Sapphire Drake. In keeping with a notion of "+1/+1 counters matter" I'd rather use Marchesa's Smuggler or Sapphire Drake out of those categories.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-05 1:05 pm 

spacemonaut wrote:
Segrus wrote:

Let's see, I've got: Surrak Dragonclaw, Pathbreaker Ibex, Stonehoof Chieftain, and Dragon Throne of Tarkir. I also have Champioin of Lambholt for evasion.

Since my commander grants trample, I was cautious to add more trample effects since they could wind up redundant.

I could also add Nylea, God of the Hunt or Tuskguard Captain as trample sources, both of which remain useful whether I do or don't grant my commander. For pure evasion I could go Thassa, God of the Sea or Marchesa's Smuggler or Rogue's Passage or Sapphire Drake. In keeping with a notion of "+1/+1 counters matter" I'd rather use Marchesa's Smuggler or Sapphire Drake out of those categories.

Yeah, so I thought I remembered what Surrak did.

I apparently don't, because I'm an idiot. haha

Don't worry about trample. Don't listen to what I said.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-06 10:46 am 

Segrus wrote:
Yeah, so I thought I remembered what Surrak did.

I apparently don't, because I'm an idiot. haha

Don't worry about trample. Don't listen to what I said.

No problem. ;)

Glad it seems OK.

kirkusjones wrote:

I've found a couple of cards I'd rather move to my Queen Marchesa deck, so that's good advice I'll go with.

---

Changes I'm making:

Out: Frenzied Fugue, Grenzo, Havoc Raiser, Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs.

In: Trygon Predator, Artifact Mutation, Longshot Squad.

Kazuul isn't necessary -- I already plan on having big creatures for opponents to ram into, and I'm happy for them to go ahead and do so. Longshot Squad on the other hand adds defence against flying which I don't have much of.

Trygon and Artifact Mutation are in for removal, replacing Grenzo and Frenzied Fugue; both cards I'd really like to use but I've got a more suitable deck for them and more suitable cards for this deck.

Kazuul leaving means one less type of token I have to worry about for this deck.

----

Ivy Lane Denizen is looking more viable than ever so I might replace Durable Handicraft with it. (Every Saproling triggers Ivy Lane Denizen.)

Offline Profile