Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jul-15 6:19 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1525 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102  Next
 Post subject: Re: [1:N, Mayael] Dear Mayael...
AgePosted: 2016-Oct-31 5:46 am 

I don't understand why you run Vedalken Orrery in this deck. Do you intend to hard cast something, or are instant wogs that important to you?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Oct-31 9:53 am 

It sort of gives all creatures haste, but then adds it to everything else too. I could have anything ready to drop, making me look really scary to attack. It's amazing with Seedborn Muse and very good otherwise. I do fairly regularly run without Mayael for a while when she's gotten a bit expensive or when it looks like she may not survive until she can be activated. It's proven a very good draw many times, though it might've gotten a little worse with more instant speed Wraths.

I dance all night and I sleep all day

3 Steps Ahead - I'm A Gabber

Automatically add card tags to the card names in any text:
http://manabase.com/autocard.php

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-12 6:09 am 

The tournament was today. I changed Final Judgment into Descend Upon the Sinful and the Snow-Covered Plains into Mistveil Plains because it was a strict upgrade and I wanted to be able to protect myself from Graveyard removal / put fatties back into the deck to increase my hit chances.

We had 8 players devided across 2 tables of 4. The other table was quickly won by a player who killed all and got 5 points out of it. Our table had 2 griefer decks, Oloro and Nekusar as well as a Horde of Notions that tried to recurse its elementals. We had a slow game due to the griefer decks, but Mayael managed to keep defense up and ultimately managed to kill all players, landing me at 5 points as well. Angel of the Dire Hour was pivotal after searching for it with Eladamri's Call following a large attack of the Horde player. Captain Sisay was strong because she fetched Myojin, Kiki-Jiki and Avacyn.

With both me and the winner of the other table at 5 points we had to play another game. Oloro conceded early and so did the other player with one of the new precons a bit later (he was doing surprisingly well with it, even through the tons of mass removal I managed to draw). This left me with the other 5 point player, who was on Bruna. Unfortunately I was not familiar with the deck and it turned out his plan was to drop Bruna, give her haste and load her with Auras for an instant kill. I felt safe to only leave a Haven, Hollow and mana to activate up, but shroud from Lightning Greaves caught me off guard. I would've had the ability to fetch the Angel again had I realized the need for it. I could've also fetched Blazing Archon to accomplish the same or even played Naya Charm to tap her. Sisay was again strong, this time fetching me some lands to get out of mana screw.

I believe I might've managed to win depending on how well the Bruna player could protect himself. I should've played the long game, stopping his attacks, keeping answers ready and trying to find direct damage, but if he had lots of counters I'd be lost in any case. I simply overlooked the kill out of nowhere possibility.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-04 3:31 am 

How did Sisay fetch Kiki-Jiki?

Was the Horde deck a tribal legends?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-04 4:26 am 

She was strong in my deck ;).

You don't really need to have a ton of Legends to fetch, I am not playing any Legends just because I have her in, in fact she was added to the deck later than most Legends. She's good even just fetching lands and when I have enough of those she switches to whatever Legend I need. I would consider playing her in most G/W decks as if nothing else you would want Kor Haven and Yavimaya Hollow and could easily make others like Eiganjo Castle or Okina, Temple to the Grandfathers fit. I always seem to end up with a few Legends that are not the general in my decks too.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Apr-24 9:04 am 

I've never played when Protean Hulk was legal. Any thoughts on if he's worth playing?

Mayael the Anima

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Apr-24 6:45 pm 

Neither did I, however, from a theoretical viewpoint if your deck/meta has plenty of mass removal he allows you to get something for your recovery. I can think of a few cards I wouldn't mind fetching at that point. Greenwarden or Witness and Nimus to get him back, or Behemoth for its Mana Flare effect for example.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Apr-25 3:27 am 

I was thinking Protean Hulk is similar to Moldgraf Monstrosity, who I already tried but cut because I don't have enough sac oultets. Also, I use Twilight Shepherd and Boros Charm for protection against board wipes.

Mayael the Anima

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Apr-25 4:12 am 

Wrong comparison, it's a tutor for quite a large part of the deck. You want him to die, not protect against mass destruction.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Apr-25 6:39 am 

Protean Hulk will be finding its way into my list somewhere. More ability to recover, excellent synergy with Sneak Attack, etc...

From the new set, Shefet Monitor will find its way in as well. I'm already playing Valley Rannet, Eternal Dragon, and Krosan Tusker. A fourth (that's actually ramp instead of just smoothing things out) sounds pretty nice.

Current Deckbuilding Project(s):

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Building $15-25 Intro to Commander Decks for my Local LGS

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Apr-25 9:46 am 

I was thinking of adding replacing Krosan Tusker with Shefet Monitor. But then I started thinking why not just replace Krosan Tusker and Eternal Dragon with Three Visits and Farseek. Since I never hard cast either the Tusker or Dragon and I'd rather put any other creature into play with Mayael. And Three Visits and Farseek actually ramp instead of just ensuring I make my land drops.

Mayael the Anima

Last edited by Celerus on 2017-Apr-28 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Apr-27 1:48 am 

I tried that for a while, but I ended up putting Tusker and Dragon back in. Yes, you will generally choose anything else over them, but I'd rather flip over Tusker + 4 non-fatties than Farseek + 4 non-fatties when I activate Mayael. Really, it probably depends on how much library manipulation you have and the density of fatties you have.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Apr-27 2:42 am 

That's exactly why you should want them in. Even a 6/5 or 5/5 flier can keep away a lot of attacks or make it hurt the attacker, whereas those sorceries leave you open. The average chance of hitting is nice and all, but you also need to consider that there won't be a perfect distribution of fatties through the deck so that sometimes you'll be hitting 5 fatties and sometimes 0. Because of that you want extra fatties in there that usually serve other purposes, but that in a pinch can still count as fatties.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Apr-27 2:47 am 

I think of it this way. Every ramp spell I play increases the odds of me hitting a fatty and gives me more mana to hard cast the fatties I draw. I only run Sylvan Library and Mirri's Guile for top deck manipulation, but I also don't rely on Mayael to win. She's a back up plan when I run out of threats in my hand.

Mayael the Anima

Last edited by Celerus on 2017-Apr-28 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Apr-27 3:58 am 

Three Visits and Farseek aren't really threats either.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1525 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102  Next