Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jul-20 1:14 pm

Post subject: Yasova Dragonclaw experiment
AgePosted: 2015-Aug-22 11:07 am 

I feel a little torn as to whether one should build according to one's favored colors (GWU in my case), or one's favorite potential commander, that being Yasova as I mentioned in the post title. I've already made one chart for the GWU, so I'm spending excess time on charting a Yasova deck. (Just remember that I'm in no position to play just yet; a big part of the reason I'm spending so much time charting is so that when I *am* in a position to play, I don't waste money on cards I'll prove not to need.) I decided to have Yasova take helm position away from Intet for a deck experiment that relied on playing games with who's blocking whom, with a healthy dose of temporary critter theft to arrange attacking (and enemy defending) forces as I see fit.

Now I have to figure out how to fill this up to 100, first and foremost. Especially on the green side.

COMMANDER:
Yasova Dragonclaw

CREATURES:
Avalanche Tusker
Balduvian Warlord
Brontotherium
Conquering Manticore
Dominus of Fealty
Forgestoker Dragon
Gruul Ragebeast
Intet, the Dreamer (having a way to mess around with how combat goes without spending at that moment is always welcome)
Krosan Vorine
Magus of the Unseen
Mistblade Shinobi
Mystic Snake (I have green and blue available, this always makes itself known. No exceptions.)
Neurok Invisimancer
Ninja of the Deep Hours
Rattleclaw Mystic
Serendib Sorcerer (That powerful blocker suddenly isn't so powerful any more...)
Surrak Dragonclaw (Radiant trample is always nice to have around when you're fiddling with block assignments for yourself)

ENCHANTMENTS:
Collective Restraint (not sure if this is merited...)
Invasion Plans
Quiet Contemplation
Stand or Fall
Temur Ascendancy

ARTIFACTS:
Isochron Scepter (primarily so things like False Orders and Provoke can become repeatable)
Phyrexian Vault (no, you're not getting the critter back, not if I think you're going to use it on me first and foremost, anyway)
Sol Ring
Sword of Light and Shadow (mostly for Yasova herself, so she can handle getting into scraps. Or the Vorine...)
Temur Banner
Vorrac Battlehorns

SORCERIES:
Barrage of Boulders
Hunt Down
Roar of Challenge
Savage Punch (I'm using fighting as a sort of spot removal)
Traitorous Blood

INSTANTS:
Disharmony
False Orders
Fated Infatuation (May want to look for a different way to clone a creature; this is a holdover from when Intet was commander, so she could benefit from scrying putting the "correct" card on top)
Illusionist's Gambit
Melee
Provoke
Ray of Command
Temur Charm

LANDS: (trying to get seven more)
Breeding Pool
Cascade Bluffs
Command Tower
Fire-Lit Thicket
Flooded Grove
Forest*6
Frontier Bivouac
Hinterland Harbor
Island*7
Minamo, School at Water's Edge
Mountain*7
Rootbound Crag
Shinka, the Bloodsoaked Keep (Mostly to help Yasova avoid getting sent to sick bay)
Steam Vents
Stomping Ground
Sulfur Falls

Current card total: 74 (not counting Yasova)

Obviously, mana ramp is missing, so that could easily be something to help shore up the green side of this. I'm just getting the feeling there's other things along the lines of the provoke critters that would fit the battle manipulation theme.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Yasova Dragonclaw experiment
AgePosted: 2015-Aug-22 12:04 pm 

Raging River

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-25 10:07 am 

Okay, I've developed this to 100 cards, but the chart is looking distinctly unfocused. Probably because I was looking at another Yasova charting on MTGSalvation, and I took some card ideas from there. So now the question is figuring out how to properly focus this thing (e.g. should I stick to combat manipulation, or is lockdown a better subtheme?).

COMMANDER
Yasova Dragonclaw

CREATURES (26)
Altered Ego
Assembled Alphas
Avalanche Tusker
Brontotherium
Captivating Crew
Conquering Manticore
Dominus of Fealty
Eternal Witness
Forgestoker Dragon
Identity Thief
Master Thief
Molten Primordial
Murkfiend Liege
Mystic Snake
Polis Crusher
Ripjaw Raptor
Rock Basilisk
Sage-Eye Avengers
Sakura-Tribe Elder
Seedborn Muse
Serendib Sorcerer
Shaman of the Great Hunt
Sower of Temptation
Surrak Dragonclaw
Trygon Predator
Voracious Cobra
Zealous Conscripts

ENCHANTMENTS (15)
As Foretold
Berserkers' Onslaught
Bident of Thassa
Collective Restraint
Evolutionary Leap
Invasion Plans
Ooze Garden
Perilous Forays
Quiet Contemplation
Retreat to Valakut
Shivan Harvest
Sluggishness
Stand or Fall
Temur Ascendancy
War Cadence

ARTIFACTS (6)
Commander's Sphere
Hero's Blade
Phyrexian Vault
Sol Ring
Sword of Light and Shadow
Vorrac Battlehorns

PLANESWALKERS (2)
Nissa, Voice of Zendikar
Sarkhan Vol

SORCERIES (7)
Cultivate
Decimate
Kari Zev's Expertise
Life's Legacy
Map the Wastes
Roar of Challenge
Urban Evolution

INSTANTS (5)
Disharmony
Provoke
Ray of Command
Spell Swindle (surprise way to get extra mana)
Temur Charm

LANDS (38)
Forest*7
Island*6
Mountain*6
Arcane Lighthouse
Breeding Pool
Cascade Bluffs
City of Shadows
Command Tower
Desolate Lighthouse
Fire-Lit Thicket
Flooded Grove
Frontier Bivouac
Hinterland Harbor
Kessig Wolf Run
Rootbound Crag
Shinka, the Bloodsoaked Keep
Steam Vents
Stomping Ground
Sulfur Falls
Temple of Abandon
Temple of Epiphany
Temple of Mystery

EDIT: Now that I've learned about the recent banning, Prophet of Kruphix has been replaced by Seedborn Muse (although I can't say I like the price tag...). I also removed False Orders, Melee (neither of them seems to be available on MTGO, which is where I'm relegated for the time being), and Isochron Scepter (not worth it for just Provoke) for Animar, Soul of Elements, Master Thief, and Zealous Conscripts.

Last edited by Skyknight on 2018-Jan-06 11:24 am, edited 8 times in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-28 7:51 am 

You're going to have swap seedborne muse in for prophet, as the lady of kruphix was the most recent recipient of the banhammer.

Gath Immortal wrote:
Twenty Kavus and a Dream is not a legacy deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Sep-29 11:13 am 

A bit of tweaking I did for Eldritch Moon. Now to see what can go in from Kaladesh...

OUT: Island*1, Magus of the Unseen, Temur Banner, Yavimaya Hollow
IN: Assembled Alphas, Blood Mist, Commander's Sphere, Identity Thief

EDIT: And the five candidates from Kaladesh have been identified: Durable Handicraft, Hijack, Renegade Tactics, Saheeli Rai (for the second ability), and Verdurous Gearhulk.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Oct-19 11:33 am 

Still not vectoring in Kaladesh cards for now (simply because MuMagic hasn't been updated for Kaladesh yet, although there is the thought of replacing Traitorous Blood with Hijack...maybe), but nonetheless I did some heavy editing, mostly of fight cards.

OUT:
--Aether Mutation
--Alchemist's Refuge
--Domri Rade
--Gruul Ragebeast
--Illusionist's Gambit
--Lumbering Falls
--Minamo, School at Water's Edge
--Raging Ravine
--Savage Punch
--Thada Adel, Acquisitor
--Ulvenwald Tracker
IN:
--Desolate Lighthouse
--Hero's Blade
--Life's Legacy
--Mana Flare
--Nissa, Voice of Zendikar
--Primal Rage
--Rock Basilisk
--Temple of Abandon
--Temple of Epiphany
--Temple of Mystery
--Urban Evolution

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-17 6:44 am 

OUT:
--Blood Mist (When there's a card that grants everyone double strike for just one more red mana...)
--Champion of Lambholt
--Mana Flare
--Mudslide
--Retreat to Kazandu
--Traitorous Blood

IN:
--Berserkers' Onslaught
--Decimate
--Kari Zev's Expertise
--Military Intelligence (slowly but surely, this deck will become not-so-starved for card draw)
--Mindswipe (precipice card; mostly, it jumped out at me while I was looking through red KTK cards, looking for replacements for Mana Flare and Mudslide)
--Trygon Predator

Now I just need a way to cram in Krosan Grip and Destructive Tampering...Any suggestions on whom to jettison? (Well, Mindswipe might already be on the jettison list...)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Aug-23 10:28 am 

This is something of a "net" change, considering how long it's been since I updated the chart. (Still no actual playing experience for Commander. Still trying to make sure I can hit the ground running when I get an actual chance to play.)

OUT: Animar, Soul of Elements, Bow of Nylea, Desertion, Military Intelligence, Mindswipe, Primal Rage, Strionic Resonator

IN: As Foretold, Bident of Thassa, Gruul Ragebeast (tentative), Perilous Forays, Polis Crusher (tentative after remembering I have Trygon Predator in here), Surrak Dragonclaw (maybe Khenra Charioteer instead?), War Cadence

EDIT: Bah, I just realized there's a severe problem with the Ragebeast--as long as it's out, getting Yasova out is rather difficult (you're not given the choice as to whether to fight or not, and absent Hero's Blade, Yasova is going to be squishy on arrival). Replaced with Voracious Cobra.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jan-06 11:27 am 

Updates for Ixalan! (Not much to put in from Rivals of Ixalan. Maybe Silverclad Ferocidons, but I can't figure out what to jettison for it.)

OUT: Balduvian Warlord (too easy to see coming), Hunt Down, Icefall Regent, Mystic Snake (was really just my idea of a talisman card), Plasm Capture, Rattleclaw Mystic (hope I know what I'm doing)

IN: Captivating Crew, Collective Restraint, Ooze Garden, Ripjaw Raptor, Spell Swindle, Temur Ascendancy (more card draw)

Offline Profile