Login | Register


All times are UTC - 7 hours


It is currently 2019-Aug-24 6:56 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Rats of Tel Noth
AgePosted: 2016-Sep-03 5:49 am 

Joined: 2015-Jan-14 2:58 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Commander
Meren of Clan Nel Toth

Creatures - 37
Rats and Support
Nezumi Graverobber
Pack Rat
Rats of Rath
Crypt Rats
Pestilence Rats
25 Relentless Rats
Marrow-Gnawer
Ogre Slumlord
Ratcatcher

Removal
Quagmire Druid

Draw
Erebos, God of the Dead

Sac and Graveyard
Deathgreeter
Blood Artist

Instants and Sorceries - 11
Rats and Support
Echoing Courage
Pack Hunt
Doubling Chant
Plague of Vermin

Removal
Doom Blade
Terror
Dark Banishing
In Garruk's Wake
Plague Wind

Ramp
Sylvan Scrying
Explosive Vegetation

Enchantments - 10
Removal
Gate to Phyrexia
Attrition

Draw
Vampiric Rites
Dark Prophecy
Elemental Bond
Phyrexian Arena
Deathreap Ritual

Sac and Graveyard
Evolutionary Leap
Bloodbond March
Deadbridge Chant

Artifacts - 6
Rats and Support
Citanul Flute
Eldrazi Monument
Thrumming Stone

Ramp
Expedition Map
Caged Sun

Whip of Erebos

Lands - 35
Dual
Command Tower
Golgari Guildgate
Jungle Hollow
Llanowar Wastes
Tainted Wood
Temple of Malady

Bojuka Bog
Cabal Coffers
High Market
Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
Sea Gate Wreckage
Swarmyard
Thespian's Stage
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Westvale Abbey

2 Forest
18 Swamp

This is a more restrained deck than I've been building, because frankly I don't have anything appropriate for lower powered games or use against beginners. I still wanted something that had some heft, though. Relentless Rats is a straightforward strategy with straightforward answers, but the ability to reanimate and the variety of sac outlets and draw should prevent me from running out of gas in a longer game.

There's potential to add Lurking Predators/Cream of the Crop, but I don't think I will quite yet.

_________________
Deepglow Skate
Antis wrote:
I'm seriously suspicious of any card that makes Doubling Season look fair and reasonable.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rats of Tel Noth
AgePosted: 2016-Sep-03 9:47 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2012-Nov-27 4:39 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Midgard
Phyrexian Reclamation is a super cheap card you could toss into this deck. It won't be overpowered but will help the strategy.

_________________
Current:
Decklists are posted here. They can all be found in the Decklist Forum.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rats of Tel Noth
AgePosted: 2016-Sep-04 7:00 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2011-Jan-02 5:25 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Costa La Haya, capital del ducado Holanda
I'm giving you a medal for building a non-obvious Meren deck. And Relentless Rats is already a sweet theme on it's own, and pretty funny for Spy Kit to... wait. What?

So maybe I'm pushing you to a more obvious way to build Meren, but doesn't it make more sense to go with Shadowborn Apostle instead? Sac a bunch, gain somd XP, and recur those demons until you're all warm and fuzzy inside.

_________________
"Our words are backed with OBLIVION STONE!"


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rats of Tel Noth
AgePosted: 2016-Sep-05 12:20 am 

Joined: 2015-Jan-14 2:58 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Shabbaman wrote:
I'm giving you a medal for building a non-obvious Meren deck. And Relentless Rats is already a sweet theme on it's own, and pretty funny for Spy Kit to... wait. What?

So maybe I'm pushing you to a more obvious way to build Meren, but doesn't it make more sense to go with Shadowborn Apostle instead? Sac a bunch, gain somd XP, and recur those demons until you're all warm and fuzzy inside.


Three reasons for Rats:

1) I have RRats; I'd need to buy Apostles.
2) RRats are fair; Apostles aren't. I don't really have any fair decks right now. (Maybe Karlov, but that's iffy.) Winning on a traditional axis is useful for less pushed environments, and I can't really do that outside this deck right now.
3) All my really useful demons are tied up in the 'Rog.

_________________
Deepglow Skate
Antis wrote:
I'm seriously suspicious of any card that makes Doubling Season look fair and reasonable.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rats of Tel Noth
AgePosted: 2016-Sep-05 4:59 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2016-May-16 12:03 pm
Age: Dragon
Location: The Blind Eternities
To be honest, I would have went with plants on Meren... Necrogenesis ftw!

_________________
Image

RaiRai's Decks of Otherworldlyness:

Unknown Horizons
Bane of the Vast 1.0
Call from Eternity
Twisted Nightmares


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rats of Tel Noth
AgePosted: 2016-Sep-08 12:10 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2011-Nov-16 1:14 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Prague, Heart of Europe
RaiRai wrote:
To be honest, I would have went with plants on Meren... Necrogenesis ftw!
Rai, it's kinda pointless to go to a decklist thread with a suggestion of "Build another deck." And somewhat rude. If you want to see Meren, the Plant Queen (which would be cool, I'm not bashing the idea here), make the list yourself. You're not helping the poster here at all.
Also, Necrogenesis makes Saprolings, not Plants. Or did you mean it as a general floral theme, not tribal Plants?

On topic, would Bloodbond March be too dickish for you, Spectar Ghost? Always wanted to try running it with dem Rats ;)

_________________
I could be wrong. I'm just not in the mood.
tempesteye wrote:
In my early teens I was a Timmy.
In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rats of Tel Noth
AgePosted: 2016-Sep-08 1:03 am 

Joined: 2015-Jan-14 2:58 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
It's under Enchantments> Sac and Graveyard. Never got it out in Karador or here, but oh yeah.

_________________
Deepglow Skate
Antis wrote:
I'm seriously suspicious of any card that makes Doubling Season look fair and reasonable.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rats of Tel Noth
AgePosted: 2016-Sep-08 2:34 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2016-May-16 12:03 pm
Age: Dragon
Location: The Blind Eternities
Antis wrote:
RaiRai wrote:
To be honest, I would have went with plants on Meren... Necrogenesis ftw!
Rai, it's kinda pointless to go to a decklist thread with a suggestion of "Build another deck." And somewhat rude. If you want to see Meren, the Plant Queen (which would be cool, I'm not bashing the idea here), make the list yourself. You're not helping the poster here at all.
Also, Necrogenesis makes Saprolings, not Plants. Or did you mean it as a general floral theme, not tribal Plants?

On topic, would Bloodbond March be too dickish for you, Spectar Ghost? Always wanted to try running it with dem Rats ;)


Well saprolings token swarm.

Anyway, drawing from my Spellbook, I recommend Mortuary and Ashnod's Altar along with Cryptolith Rites. Here's why: In my time playing with my Unknown Horizions deck, I noticed that with Eldrazi Spawn and Eldrazi scions with Cryptolith rites in play, I could effective generate 2 mana, one colored and colorless, by tapping then saccing them, allowing me to cast cards that a small mana base wouldn't allow. Now you with your rats can easily use the extra mana to filter into summoning more rats.

_________________
Image

RaiRai's Decks of Otherworldlyness:

Unknown Horizons
Bane of the Vast 1.0
Call from Eternity
Twisted Nightmares


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rats of Tel Noth
AgePosted: 2016-Sep-08 3:49 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2011-Nov-16 1:14 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Prague, Heart of Europe
Spectrar Ghost wrote:
It's under Enchantments> Sac and Graveyard. Never got it out in Karador or here, but oh yeah.
Rats!

How big are your rodents on average? Green has a lot of power-based draw these days. Greater Good, Life's Legacy, Momentous Fall, Garruk, Primal Hunter, plus Disciple of Bolas from black's side of the pie. Also, Cream of the Crop. I play these in my Titania and usually one of them is enough to get me back into the game when I run out of steam.

_________________
I could be wrong. I'm just not in the mood.
tempesteye wrote:
In my early teens I was a Timmy.
In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rats of Tel Noth
AgePosted: 2016-Sep-08 4:19 am 

Joined: 2008-Nov-30 12:36 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
RaiRai wrote:
Anyway, drawing from my Spellbook, I recommend Mortuary...
I don't think Mortuary is very good with Meren. You still get the "dies" triggers, so Meren will gain XP, but you then won't have any creatures in your GY for her to reanimate. That said, Mortuary is fairly obscure card that I either haven't ever seen, or have forgotten existed, so I appreciate you showing it to me. I'll have to keep it in mind for possible other uses.

_________________
The Command Zone (my MTG Blog).
Commander 2015 Set Review


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 7 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: