Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-18 5:55 am

Post subject: The Gitrog Monster: The DOOM that came to Nephalia (v3)
AgePosted: 2016-Mar-24 4:15 am 

Edited 8/5/16

Commander

The Gitrog Monster

Creatures – 15

Land/Graveyard Synergies
Groundskeeper
Sylvan Safekeeper
Loaming Shaman
Terravore
Centaur Vinecrasher
Oracle of Mul Daya
Mazirek, Kraul Death Priest
Titania, Protector of Argoth
Rampaging Baloths

Removal/Sac
Fleshbag Marauder
Merciless Executioner
Archfiend of Depravity
Indulgent Tormentor

Other
Creakwood Liege
Ob Nixilis, Unshackled

Instants – 8

Ramp
Crop Rotation

Land/Graveyard Synergies
Grapple with the Past
Sudden Reclamation

Removal/Sac
Ghastly Demise
Doom Blade
Hero's Downfall
Krosan Grip
To the Slaughter

Sorceries – 16

Ramp
Edge of Autumn
Cultivate
Far Wanderings
Kodama's Reach

Land/Graveyard Synergies
Drown in Filth
Gaea's Blessing
Life from the Loam
Regrowth
Splendid Reclamation
Creeping Renaissance
Praetor's Counsel

Removal/Sac
Killing Wave
Toxic Deluge
Curse of the Cabal

Other
Worm Harvest

Enchantments – 14

Ramp
Khalni Heart Expedition

Land/Graveyard Synergies
Crop Sigil
Exploration
Dark Heart of the Wood
Oath of Druids
Squandered Resources
Foster
Strands of Night

Removal/Sac
Pernicious Deed
Tainted Aether
Dictate of Erebos

Other
Mirri's Guile
Sylvan Library
Cadaverous Bloom

Artifacts – 8

Ramp
Sol Ring
Golgari Signet
Commander's Sphere
Golgari Keyrune
Worn Powerstone

Land/Graveyard Synergies
Lodestone Bauble
Crucible of Worlds
Horn of Greed

Lands – 38

Utility Lands
Buried Ruin
Dakmor Salvage
Dust Bowl
Geier Reach Sanitarium
Ghost Quarter
Glacial Chasm
Westvale Abbey
Strip Mine
Tectonic Edge

Cycle Lands
Barren Moor
Polluted Mire
Slippery Karst
Tranquil Thicket

Fetchlands
Blighted Woodland
Evolving Wilds
Terramorphic Expanse

Dual Lands
Bayou
Command Tower
Llanowar Wastes
Overgrown Tomb
Temple of Malady
Woodland Cemetery

Basic Lands
7 Swamp
9 Forest

Version 3! After two different and unsuccessful attempts at a tribal sub theme I settled on a more controlling style for Gitrog, with lots of Edict-style effects. It’s been a much smoother ride. Demons make up the bulk of my heavy hitters, because they tend to have the punisher mechanics I was looking for. Originally I had only edict effects for removal, but my experience is that I really do need some targeted stuff too, so I’ve included a few. A few other notable insertions – Glacial Chasm, which, with Crucible of Worlds, you don’t even need to pay the upkeep for; Westvale Abbey for a big not-quite-land beater, and Pernicious Deed, which has been an all star so far.

Last edited by Spectrar Ghost on 2016-Aug-22 9:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: The Gitrog Monster: The DOOM that came to Nephalia
AgePosted: 2016-Mar-24 1:10 pm 

Constant Mists and/or Worm Harvest might be reasonable stall tactics until your beasts get online, and Worm Harvest would certainly give you tons of tokens later on in the game. If you aren't looking for it to be too competitive, any of the Retrace cards would be fun.

I couldn't help noting how particularly vile one of these decks would be with multiple dedicated land-sac outlets and Herald of Leshrac would be.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-24 11:23 pm 

I agree on Worm Harvest, it's good enough to include in any Golgari deck and it'll be stellar here. Also, any excuse to run Mazirek is good.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-28 9:28 pm 

You're both right.

-Paychic Miasma (gimmicky and unnessecary)
-Natural Balance (upon rereading, it's only one draw per effect, not one per land - I'd figured this out by the time I posted, but hadn't made the connection to this card)
-Alhammarret's Archive (unnessecary/overkill)
+Worm Harvest
+Creakwood Leige
+Mazirek, Kraul Death Priest

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-04 5:42 am 

Hermit Druid when you just want to draw a lot of cards, while fixing your mana while he's at it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-05 5:29 am 

Shabbaman wrote:
Hermit Druid when you just want to draw a lot of cards, while fixing your mana while he's at it.

It's at most 1 per activation, which is still pretty good. Don't know if you were implying you draw more than one or not.

Also it's worth mentioning that any discard outlet like Putrid Imp goes infinite with Gitrog and Dakmor Salvage, but it looks like you're going for more of a big creature type deck than a combo deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-05 5:51 am 

MrCool wrote:
Shabbaman wrote:

It's at most 1 per activation, which is still pretty good. Don't know if you were implying you draw more than one or not.

Well, you can tap the hermit every turn... It's unfortunate Hermit Druid is wearing the "KILL IT!!! IT'S A COMBO! KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!" t-shirt, because it's ridiculously good at fixing mana.

MrCool wrote:
Also it's worth mentioning that any discard outlet like Putrid Imp goes infinite with Gitrog and Dakmor Salvage, but it looks like you're going for more of a big creature type deck than a combo deck.

Infinite? Dredge doesn't work once you have no cards in your library, does it? Drawing cards once you have no cards in your library doesn't sound so smart either. But besides that, even drawing a mere 10 cards or so sounds like a good deal.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-08 4:02 am 

edge of autumn seems good here. Early ramp or draw 2 with Senōr Frog on the battlefield.

Gath Immortal wrote:
Twenty Kavus and a Dream is not a legacy deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-08 4:14 am 

Shabbaman wrote:
MrCool wrote:

Infinite? Dredge doesn't work once you have no cards in your library, does it? Drawing cards once you have no cards in your library doesn't sound so smart either. But besides that, even drawing a mere 10 cards or so sounds like a good deal.

Dredge can generally just "win" when it has full library in the yard though...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-31 9:26 pm 

That was disappointing.

The Git has plenty of Velocity, verging on excessive while Horn of Greed is in play. Despite having a whole suite of beasts to back him up, he struggles to play threats effectively. This is mostly because he can't count on having more than 5 lands, since he keeps eating them. With an average CMC 0f 3.6, and an average CMC of the included beast and beast related creatures of 5.16, he just never builds steam.

Solutions:

1) Land Ramp. I thought I'd be able to keep the lands flowing without spell-based ramp, but it seems this is not the case. I need to add some.

2) Zombies. I think I need to refocus the threats on a less expensive tribe. Zombies also have the advantage of built in recursion in many cases, allowing them to more effectively weather some of the selection spells I've included that effectively self mill.

3) Answers. They just never quite made it into the original list (a relatively common occurrance for me while I evaluate a decks mechanical potential). I need to include a few bits of spot removal. Fortunately I'm in reasonable colors for everything but Enchantmemnts.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-03 5:12 am 

I was playing around with a Gitrog deck. One card that I found good is Drownyard Temple. Being able to get it back after saving it to the toad is nice and it combos well with dustbowl. Also since you can drop so many extra lands cards that get lands into your hand go up in value. Nissa's Pilgrimage has been good. Also fun are cartographer effects, especially Tilling Treefolk.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-03 6:08 pm 

Spectrar Ghost wrote:
This is mostly because he can't count on having more than 5 lands, since he keeps eating them. With an average CMC 0f 3.6, and an average CMC of the included beast and beast related creatures of 5.16, he just never builds steam.

Interesting find. Alternate solutions:
- Reanimator: makes perfect sense in these colors. The problem with Reanimator is running out of gas, but Gitrog Monster should solve that. You could go Horror tribal.
- Cheap stuff that returns from the grave, like Bloodghast, Gravecrawler. Use these to fuel Perilous Forays. There's some overlap with zombie tribal here.

Or just go Voltron. Big body, card advantage, that should work. A bit boring though, but you could disguise it as a horror tribal deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-04 2:50 am 

The OP has been updated with a new version, retaining just under 60% commonality.

Shabbaman wrote:
Spectrar Ghost wrote:
This is mostly because he can't count on having more than 5 lands, since he keeps eating them. With an average CMC 0f 3.6, and an average CMC of the included beast and beast related creatures of 5.16, he just never builds steam.

Interesting find. Alternate solutions:
- Reanimator: makes perfect sense in these colors. The problem with Reanimator is running out of gas, but Gitrog Monster should solve that. You could go Horror tribal.
- Cheap stuff that returns from the grave, like Bloodghast, Gravecrawler. Use these to fuel Perilous Forays. There's some overlap with zombie tribal here.

Or just go Voltron. Big body, card advantage, that should work. A bit boring though, but you could disguise it as a horror tribal deck.

I went Zombie Tribal. Might need to get another Perilous Forays eventually, my only one is in Omnath.

pigmy wurm wrote:
I was playing around with a Gitrog deck. One card that I found good is Drownyard Temple. Being able to get it back after saving it to the toad is nice and it combos well with dustbowl. Also since you can drop so many extra lands cards that get lands into your hand go up in value. Nissa's Pilgrimage has been good. Also fun are cartographer effects, especially Tilling Treefolk.

I looked at it closely. I may still put it in later. Dakmor Salvage outclasses it in a big way, since it costs nothing to return, and also nets you a card ~2/3 of the time.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: The Gitrog Monster: The DOOM that came to Nephalia (v2)
AgePosted: 2016-Jun-04 11:29 pm 

Zombie Infestation?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: The Gitrog Monster: The DOOM that came to Nephalia (v2)
AgePosted: 2016-Jun-04 11:53 pm 

Shabbaman wrote:

Horn of Greed + Gitrog is insane. If you can keep the lands flowing you're looking at 4+ cards a turn. Remember that discarding a land is a cantrip, too. So I'm looking at Zombie Infestation as if it says "discard two cards: put a 2/2 Zombie token onto the battlefield. Draw a card" Necromancer's Stockpile just replaces a discard with a mana cost. Stockpile is better, but not strictly so. Praetor's Counsel?

Offline Profile