Simic Growth Chamber
Simic Guildgate
Temple of Mystery
Thornwood Falls
Yavimaya Coast

Basics
10 Forest
10 Island

I've grown bored of my Vorel deck, so I decided to redevelop it. Eventually I settled on changing to Kraj as a commander, and throwing +1/+1s on opposing creatures with useful abilities. This flows natuRally into using Simic Manipulator, Willbender, Cytoplast Manipulator, and friends to steal these creatures. Clones and Clone effects are force multipliers.

Kraj will of course want some control over what effects are available, so there's a group of creatures that are there strictly to lend their abilities to him. Devoted Druid, Gilder Bairn, Horseshoe Crab, and Leech Bonder assist in untapping, while Spellskite and Mistfolk are there for protection. Orochi Leafcaller fixes mana from Devoted Druid or Gyre Sage. Hardened Scales and Primal Vigor allow greater freedom for several abilities.

Particularly interesting is Kraj, Devoted Druid, and Hardened Scales (or Primal Vigor). Together they allow Kraj to go infinite, for any number of purposes. Simic Manipulator will allow me to steal every creature in play, Orochi Leafcaller allows for infinite mana in any colors, etc.

Suggestions are, as always, appreciated.

Last edited by Spectrar Ghost on 2016-Apr-10 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Experiment Kraj Steals Everything - WIP
AgePosted: 2016-Apr-09 9:53 am 

These are the five cards I would cut from your list:
1. Elusive Krasis--this card really isn't doing a whole lot. I feel like maybe you're hoping this will be a source for extra +1/+1 counters, or maybe the unblockable will make it a great beater...I'm not sure right now. I like Elusive Krasis for some reason, but it's not a great card and I'm not certain it's actually doing the thing you're wanting it to do.

2. Phantasmal Image--the worst of your clones, and doesn't really go well with your general. You'll be fine without it.

3. Reset--what? I mean...this card is great, but it definitely feels thrown in.

4. Razorfin Abolisher--so this card I think is okay in your deck, since it has some uses, but I think the effect is still not doing enough for you. It resets your Graft creatures and your clones, but you'll (almost) never want to jump an opponent's creature. If you don't cut it now, I'd cut it for card draw or a counter spell.

5. Concordant Crossroads--there is a lot of people who like this card, but I don't normally see it work out well for its controller. I'm not certain you're getting the best end of this card with this deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-09 11:58 am 

Segrus wrote:
These are the five cards I would cut from your list:
1. Elusive Krasis--this card really isn't doing a whole lot. I feel like maybe you're hoping this will be a source for extra +1/+1 counters, or maybe the unblockable will make it a great beater...I'm not sure right now. I like Elusive Krasis for some reason, but it's not a great card and I'm not certain it's actually doing the thing you're wanting it to do.

2. Phantasmal Image--the worst of your clones, and doesn't really go well with your general. You'll be fine without it.

3. Reset--what? I mean...this card is great, but it definitely feels thrown in.

4. Razorfin Abolisher--so this card I think is okay in your deck, since it has some uses, but I think the effect is still not doing enough for you. It resets your Graft creatures and your clones, but you'll (almost) never want to jump an opponent's creature. If you don't cut it now, I'd cut it for card draw or a counter spell.

5. Concordant Crossroads--there is a lot of people who like this card, but I don't normally see it work out well for its controller. I'm not certain you're getting the best end of this card with this deck.

Elusive and abolisher were both on the shortlist. You're probably right about phantasmal image as well. Reset is in there because I feel like many of the better effects in the deck are relatively mana hungry, and a second round of mana would be nice. It's nice, but not critical. As for Crossroads, it's the best haste enabler in my colors. As a 1-drop, I probably would be holding it until needed, instead of letting everyone else use it willy-nilly.

For the general counters matter creatures, are there any that just won't pull their weight? Renegade Krassis is kinda marginal for what I want? Never mind, already cut that.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-10 8:20 am 

Thanks for the input. I've finally gotten the deck to a state where I can effectively playtest, and have updated the OP to reflect this. Of course, if you notice anything I've forgotten, do bring it up.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-10 2:07 pm 

Instead of the Crossroads, why don't you play Thousand-Year Elixir? Does the same thing, is one sided, and can untapped Kraj.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-10 2:21 pm 

Marit Lage wrote:
Instead of the Crossroads, why don't you play Thousand-Year Elixir? Does the same thing, is one sided, and can untapped Kraj.

Does mostly the same thing. It won't let be attack with a horde of stolen creatures before opponents get a chance to wipe, for instance. It is a good choice nonetheless; Crossroads was significantly over-market and only available in Italian (for the Chronicles printing anyway) when I made my purchases, so an alternative is certainly welcome.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Experiment Kraj Steals Everything
AgePosted: 2016-Apr-16 3:15 pm 

First couple of play tests indicate this is way more of a wrecker than I imagined at this stage. Won the first game (vs Jarad, Vorel Infect, and Tazri) with Kraj/Devoted Druid/Willbender. Second I lost, after all sorts of trading of creatures (vs Rubina Soulsinger, Olivia Voldaren, and Ruric Thar), though I was last to go after killing Rubina with commander damage. Rouge Passaged Kraj and a 61/61 Wildbeast master will do that. Too bad I only had 8 life and got kicked by Ruric thereafter.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Experiment Kraj Steals Everything
AgePosted: 2016-Jul-11 12:00 am 

+Morphling
+Thornling

-Horseshoe Crab
-Clone

I was reminded of the 'lings last night as I trawled articles. These two have abilities that fit my gameplan (each has the potential to add Kraj activations, while providing protection on demand); Aetherling does not. Morphling will be a straight upgrade of Horseshoe Crab, while Thornling will replace the worst of my clones, ironically this is the original one.

Offline Profile