Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-11 7:36 pm

Post subject: Mad Love Narset
AgePosted: 2016-Feb-26 2:08 pm 

Harley! If you force me away from these plans, you'll wear that smile as a lobotomy! *shoves her away* Now leave me alone!

Her constant chatter somehow makes these worthless jokes even worse. Why couldn't those piranhas smile for me? Just once? And now I'll have to think of something else completely brilliant as my final solution...

...what about...a parade?--Too Sousa...and this one is too Penguin...Maybe something with a bomb? I'd hate to call Harley back now that she's finally--...what about a storm? The noise ramping to an unbearable cacophony of laughter? Yes...or-or a device which repeats the same day over and over, and I'll get to replay this same magnificent joke again and again!...

But what's the perfect joke? I can't just beat him up over and over again, that's too Bane. Boring...
and not funny...
been done...
too "Riddler"...
NOPE...

*answers loudly ringing phone*

WHAT!!! YOU have WHO?

--tied up WHERE!?!

If you haven't notice yet, this is a theme deck...an attempt at a Harley Quinn theme deck. I know what you're thinking, why Narset, Enlightened Master? First, let me tell you about my pursuit of a R/W/U Commander deck...

Viable Jeskai Commanders
  • Numot, the Devastator--ever played land destruction in Commander? Yeah, it never works out.
  • Ruhan of the Fomori--a good choice, but I couldn't find a theme I wanted with him, or really anything interesting to be honest. He's a good candidate for basically every strategy in these colors.
  • Zedruu the Greathearted--being a little unfair about the goat, but there's only two decks with this guy: minotaur tribal or Santa Claus...neither of which I care about currently.
  • Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest--I tried hard with this guy...but the deck I want to play with him is too similar to other decks I currently have, and I couldn't find a different strategy which inspired me.
  • Narset, Enlightened Master--BAHHHH-roken. You're broken. You're broken. Broken..bah bah bah bahroken.

And yet, I'm drawn to Narset. Over and over returning to her ability being attractive with its possibilities. And then I saw a trailer for Suicide Squad. HOLY COW, so cool looking...the whole thing. And Harley Quinn, despite many people's reservations of her look and the schizophrenic indications the trailer has given her...she looks really cool. I was never one for comics, but I enjoyed the trailer for the movie immensely.

That's when it hit me: red, blue, and white on Narset...and Harley. Was there a connection? I started to research Harley...and then the color pie. I looked through legendary creatures in Red, Black, Rakdos, Orzhov, Dimir, Grixis, Mardu...nothing looked good. Nothing seemed to fit both the colors you'd expect of Harley--namely Red and Black--and I came to realize Black doesn't fit Harley in terms of the color pie. What is Black's main identity?--Greed and Pride. But Harley isn't greedy, unless it's for Joker's attention. And Harley isn't seeking out ultimate power, or to become the greatest criminal of all time (like the Joker).

From what I studied about Harley, we know a few things:
  1. She's insane, in some form or fashion (not really explored in depth, other than that she follows around the Joker and will do anything for him).
  2. Despite her insanity, she's very intelligent.
  3. She's physically capable in a fight mostly by being lithe and using her intelligence, although she lacks in physical strength.
  4. Poison Ivy gave Harley immunity to poison.
  5. She'd sacrifice anything for the Joker. She's completely infatuated with him, and selfless in this regard.

Her impulse and insanity is reflected in the color of Magic Red. Her intelligence is definitely part of Blue's color pie. And while I'm stretching a little here, her selflessness could be part of White's realm. But the similarities don't end there. Narset has first strike, but a 'low' power/toughness, meaning Narset is awesome at gaining the advantage in a fight yet is weak in strength...just like Harley. Narset has hexproof, protecting her from being enchanted or targeted by bad spells and abilities...kinda like Harley's immunity to poison. And Narset's greatest strength is her mind...I mean library...I mean chaos...

It's just too good of a connection, you know? So thus was born this deck.

So how about that decklist?
I'm missing some hammer cards, like Loxodon Warhammer, but I just didn't have any extra of them.

Fall of the Hammer
Hammer of Purphoros
Piston Sledge
Slab Hammer
Sunforger

This is made of choice cards, but it's nice some of them can get hit by Sunforger.

Azorius Charm
Boros Charm
Brutal Expulsion
Catch / Release
Fury Charm
Incendiary Command
Izzet Charm
Turn / Burn
Wear / Tear

Commander

Narset, Enlightened Master

Creatures 0

None.

Artifacts 19

Aether Spellbomb
Armageddon Clock
Butcher's Cleaver
Darksteel Ingot
Gemstone Array
Hammer of Purphoros
Isochron Scepter
Journeyer's Kite
Magma Mine
Meteorite
Mirrorworks
Piston Sledge
Ring of Valkas
Rocket Launcher
Slab Hammer
Sol Ring
Sunforger
Time Bomb
Vedalken Orrery

Enchantments 9

Aggression
Bludgeon Brawl
Burning Earth
Compulsion
Madcap Skills
Smoke
Stranglehold[/card[
[card]Taste for Mayhem

Tricks of the Trade

Instants 20

Azorius Charm
Barreling Attack
Boros Charm
Brutal Expulsion
Brute Force
Crypsis
Fall of the Hammer
Fury Charm
Homing Lightning
Impulse
Izzet Charm
Leap of Faith
Orim's Thunder
Psychotic Fury
Smash
Smash to Smithereens
Temur Battle Rage
Titan's Strength
Turn / Burn
Wear / Tear

Sorceries 12

Acquire
Artful Dodge
Catch / Release
Ignite Memories
Incendiary Command
Mind's Desire
Mizzix's Mastery
Reckless Charge
Retribution of the Meek
Tormenting Voice
Wheel of Fortune
Wild Swing

Lands 39

Azorius Chancery
Coastal Tower
Evolving Wilds
Flood Plain
Ghost Quarter
Glacial Fortress
Island x 4
Izzet Boilerworks
Izzet Guildgate
Mountain x 14
Mystic Monastery
Opal Palace
Plains x 4
Prairie Stream
Sacred Foundry
Saprazzan Skerry
Steam Vents
Terrain Generator
Terramorphic Expanse
Wasteland

But wait, what about the power level of the deck? Well, here's some notes from a couple test games of mine. The notes are a little sloppy in places, but hopefully it'll give a good enough clue to the deck's strength.
Narset, Enlightened Master--Harley Quinn theme
Zur the Enchanter--Bad Christmas theme
Ezuri, Claw of Progress--"Experience Morph with Ezuri"

N: Mountain
Z: Swamp
E: Forest, Obscuring Aether

N: Island
Z: Island, Charcoal Diamond
E: Island

N: Plains
Z: Adarkar Wastes, Zur
E: Forest, Reality Shift->Zur (manifests Stillmoon Cavalier)

N: Mountain
Z(39): Swamp, Bad Moon, manifest Stillmoon Cavalier, attack E with Stillmoon for 3 damage
E(37): Forest, Ezuri, Claw of Progress; EOT, N casts Izzet Charm and kills Stillmoon Cavalier

N: Mountain, Slab Hammer
Z(39): (Draw/Pass)
E(37): Dryad Arbor (Exp. Counter), cast Broodhatch Nantuko face-down (Exp. Counter), attack N with Ezuri Claw for 3 damage (trigger, two +1/+1 counters on face-down Nantuko)

N(37, 3 Ezuri): Plains, Narset
Z(39): (Draw) Grimgrin, Corpse-Born into play tapped
E(37): (Draw) Ainok Survivalist face-down (Exp. Counter), combat (trigger Ezuri, three counters on face-down Nantuko), attack Zur with Ezuri Claw for 3 damage

N(37, 3 Ezuri): (Draw) Equip Slab Hammer onto Narset, play Izzet Boilerworks (return Mountain), attack E with Narset (trigger Slab Hammer, return Plains) (trigger Narset, reveal Butcher's Cleaver, Opal Palace, Burning Earth, Madcap Skills)->E blocks with face-down Nantuko, N casts Titan's Strength on Narset, E flips Nantuko->Nantuko dies, E puts eight Insects into play (trigger Ezuri, now 11 Exp. Counters)
Main Phase 2, cast Butcher's Cleaver, Burning Earth, and Madcap Skills (on Narset)
Z(36, 3 Ezuri): Swamp, cast Zur
E(37): Forest, Triskelion, combat (trigger Ezuri, 11 counters on Triskelion), attack N with Narset, face-down Ainok, four Insects for 9 damage

N(28, 6 Ezuri): Plains, Tricks of the Trade (on Narset), equip Butcher's Cleaver (on Narset), attack E with Narset (trigger Slab Hammer, return Plains) (trigger Narset, reveal Artful Dodge, Mountain, Impulse, Mountain)->Narset deals 13 damage (gain 13 life)
Main Phase 2, cast Impulse and Artful Dodge (targeting Narset)
Side note: Impulse gave me the choice between Sunforger, Mizzix's Mastery, Isochron Scepter, and Mind's Desire--damn you deck...I took Isochron Scepter with Boros Charm in my hand
Z(34, 3 Ezuri): (Draw) cast Crawlspace, attack N with Zur (trigger Zur, search for Grasp of Fate--target Triskelion and Tricks of the Trade--Triskelion burns Zur for 5 damage, Grim-Grin for 7, and N for 2)
Main Phase 2, cast Animate Dead targeting Grim-Grin
E(24, 13 Narset): (Draw) cast Acidic Slime (Exp. Counter) (trigger Slime, destroy Butcher's Cleaver), attack N with Ezuri, face-down Ainok, and 6 Insects for 11 damage
Side note: could destroy Grasp of Fate, but it would likely lead to Narset killing E

N(29, 9 Ezuri): Plains, Isochron Scepter (Boros Charm), Wear | Tear (Tear side--destroy Grasp of Fate, Triskelion and Tricks of the Trade return--Tricks onto Narset), attack E with Narset (trigger Narset, reveal Compulsion, Temur Battle Rage, Island, and Aggression), cast Temur Battle Rage, deal 16 damage to E
Main Phase 2, cast Compulsion
Z(34, 3 Ezuri): Isolated Chapel, Cover of Winter, add two Age counters to Cover of Winter
E: (lost)

N(44, 9 Ezuri): Mountain, Piston Sledge (trigger, attach to Narset), attack Z with Narset (trigger Slab Hammer, return Mountain) (trigger Narset, reveal Smash, Steam Vents, Incendiary Command, and Azorius Chancery), cast Smash (destroy Crawlspace, draw a card), activate Isochron Scepter (Boros Charm, choose double strike), Narset deals 26 damage
Z: (lost)
E: (lost)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Omnath, Locus of Rage: R/G Stompy
Narset, Enlightened Master: Harley Quinn theme deck
Selvala, Explorer Returned: Pern theme deck

O(40): Forest
N(40): Mountain, Sol Ring
S(40): Forest, Skyshroud Ranger

O(40): Mountain, Summer Bloom (Mountain, Terramorphic Expanse), activate Terramorphic Expanse (Forest)
N(40): Izzet Guildgate, Darksteel Ingot
S(40): Plains, Quest for Renewal, activate Skyshroud Ranger (Remote Farm) (trigger Quest for Renewal)

O(40): (Draw) cast Emerald Medallion, Rampant Growth (Forest)
N(40): Plains, Narset
S(40): (Draw) cast Selvala, attack O with Skyshroud Ranger (trigger Quest for Renewal) for 1 damage

O(39): Fertile Thicket (trigger Thicket, reveal Forest), Garruk's Packleader
N(40): Mountain, Piston Sledge (equip Narset), Stranglehold, attack S with Narset (trigger Narset, reveal Mystic Monastery, Mountain, Psychotic Fury, and Smash to Smithereens), Psychotic Fury (Narset), S blocks with Skyshroud Ranger
Main Phase 2->cast Smash to Smithereens (destroy Emerald Medallion)
S(37): (Draw) activate Selvala (reveal Triassic Egg, O reveals Forest, N reveals Temur Battle Rage->2 mana, 2 life) (trigger Quest for Renewal), Dromoka, the Eternal, Selesnya Sanctuary (return Forest)

O(36): Forest, Omnath, Locus of Rage (trigger Packleader), attack N with Packleader for 4 damage
N(36): Steam Vents (untapped), Ring of Valkas, equip Ring, attack O with Narset (trigger Narset, reveal Ghost Quarter, Island, Mountain, and Sacred Foundry) for 6 damage
Main Phase 2->cast Meteorite (2 damage to S)
S(35): Forest, Invigorating Boon, cycle Slippery Karst (trigger Boon, +1/+1 on Selvala), attack N with Selvala and Dromoka (trigger Quest for Renewal x 2) (trigger Dromoka, +2/+2 on Selvala) for 10 damage

O(36): (untap Selvala and Dromoka) (Draw) cast Fires of Yavimaya, Sword of the Animist, equip Sword (Omnath), attack N with Omnath and Packleader for 10 damage
N(16, 5 Selvala, 6 Omnath): (Upkeep Ring of Valkas) attack S with Narset (trigger Narset, reveal Island, Mirrorworks, Hammer of Purphoros, and Turn|Burn), cast Turn|Burn (Turn Dromoka), S declares no blocks, N cast Fury Charm (trample +1/+1 Narset), Temur Battle Rage (Narset), deal S 16 damage
Main Phase 2->cast Mirrorworks, Hammer of Purphoros, Ignite Memories (trigger 5 times, target O, reveals Tornado Elemental (29), reveal Rampaging Baloth (23), reveal Setessan Tactics (21), reveal Harrow (18), reveal Rampaging Baloth (12), reveal Setessan Tactics (10))
S(13, 16 Narset): Havenwood Battleground, Assault Formation, cycle Drifting Meadow (trigger Boon, +1/+1 Selvala), attack N with Selvala and O with Dromoka (trigger Dromoka, +2/+2 on Dromoka) (trigger Quest for Renewal), 8 damage to N, 7 damage to O

O(3): (untap Selvala, Dromoka) cast Rampaging Baloths (trigger Packleader), Mosswort Bridge (trigger Bridge) (trigger Omnath) (trigger Baloths) (trigger Packleader twice), attack N with Packleader and 4/4 token for 8 damage and S with Omnath and Baloths->block Omnath with Selvala and Baloth with Dromoka, S activates Selvala (reveal Reinforcements, O reveals Forest), activate Fires (Baloths +2/+2) (trigger Omnath, 3 damage to S)
N(0, 13 Selvala, 6 Omnath): lost
S(10, 16 Narset): (Upkeep, cast Reinforcements->Dromoka) cast Dromoka, attack O with Selvala->block with 5/5

O(3): (untap Selvala) Forest (trigger Baloths) (trigger Packleader), activate Mosswort Bridge (cast Titania, Protector of Argoth) (trigger Packleader) (trigger Titania, Terramorphic Expanse), Harrow (sac Mountain, Forest and Mountain) (trigger Titania, 5/3) (trigger Baloths, 2 4/4) (trigger Packleader x 3), Setessan Tactics (target Baloths, fight Baloths with Dromoka
EOT->discard Havenwood Battleground)
S(10): Forest, forfeit

So do you want to know how I got these scars?

Last edited by Segrus on 2016-Feb-26 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Mad Love Narset
AgePosted: 2016-Feb-26 2:17 pm 

Looks like a pretty crappy list. I know you can cast stuff for free via narset but I think you still mana to cast Narset.

A link to tappedout or deckstats would also help to comment the list better.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-26 2:25 pm 

illuknisaa wrote:
Looks like a pretty crappy list. I know you can cast stuff for free via narset but I think you still mana to cast Narset.

So far hasn't been too problematic. Yeah, getting Narset out on turn six makes her a little vulnerable to counter spells, but at least that way my opponents aren't constantly worried about some kind of combo nonsense Narset decks are normally known for. There's also not a ton of flavorful (on theme) artifact or spell accelerations.

Yeah, so...the list is probably going to always "look crappy."
illuknisaa wrote:
A link to tappedout or deckstats would also help to comment the list better.

I like keeping track of decklists on here rather than either of those, especially since the different sections I've presented are attempting to paint a Harley Quinn themed picture, rather than just a by-the-numbers approach.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-26 3:45 pm 

Segrus wrote:
Over and over returning to her ability being attractive with its possibilities. And then I saw a trailer for Suicide Girls. HOLY COW, so cool looking...the whole thing. And Harley Quinn, despite many people's reservations of her look and the schizophrenic indications the trailer has given her...she looks really cool. I was never one for comics, but I enjoyed the trailer for the movie immensely.

You probably mean Suicide Squad. But i'm down for a Suicide Girls Harley Quinn...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-26 10:15 pm 

Sovarius wrote:
You probably mean Suicide Squad. But i'm down for a Suicide Girls Harley Quinn...

Yeah...Freudian slip I guess, haha--I guess I'll change it...

But seriously, nothing on Narset-Harley connection? I've been bracing myself for angry arguments about how I'm 'so wrong' about this whole thing, or how it doesn't work for whatever reason, since I began constructing this decklist (with the goal of making a Narset deck people won't immediately burn me at the stake for playing).

Offline Profile