Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-12 11:58 pm

Post subject: Doran Treehugger
AgePosted: 2015-Nov-26 11:08 am 

I feel like everyone has built this deck before, but since I finally actually put it together today I feel the need to put the decklist down for later purposes. I'm not necessarly looking for advice, but I'm still open to suggestions. The deck is plenty casual (in my opinion), although card draw is a little lacking from my petulant history of not stocking up on Greater Good ever. No, seriously, I'm probably up to ten or twelve decks which would probably profit from one of them.

Anyway, the deck is casual and the theme is treefolk/trees/branches/vines/those wood things. All of the cards have some kind of tree or treekfolk or something of the kind in its image or rules text. Even the basic lands do.

Command
Doran, the Siege Tower

Creatures
Black Oak of Odunos
Bosk Banneret
Cairn Wanderer--changeling counts just fine
Dauntless Dourbark
Deadwood Treefolk
Dungrove Elder
Everbark Shaman
Ghoultree
Heartwood Storyteller
Indomitable Ancients
Leaf-Crowned Elder
Mirror Entity
Oakgnarl Warrior
Orchard Warden
Seedguide Ash
Sheltering Ancient--probably going to be one of the first Treefolk replaced
Sylvan Caryatid--close enough
Thorntooth Witch
Tilling Treefolk
Timber Protector
Treefolk Harbinger
Treefolk Mystic
Unstoppable Ash
Verdeloth the Ancient
Wickerbough Elder
Yew Spirit

Enchantments
Bower Passage
Bow of Nylea
Collective Blessing
Cradle of Vitality
Defense of the Heart
Gaea's Touch
Leyline of the Void--M11 version
Lignify
Molting Skin
Retreat to Kazandu
Rites of Flourishing
Shield of the Oversou
Sigil of the New Dawn
Tornado

Instants
Arachnogenesis
Back to Nature
Cankerous Thirst
Reach of Branches
Rootgrapple
Tragic Slip
Tribute to the Wild

Sorceries
Bramblecrush
Explosive Vegetation
Farseek
Hurricane--10th Ed.
Kodama's Reach
Nature's Lore--Garruk vs. Liliana
Nissa's Pilgrimage
Rain of Thorns
Recross Paths
Rude Awakening
Stunted Growth
Vigor Mortis

Lands
Blighted Woodland
Bojuka Bog
Elfhame Palace
Evolving Wilds--Battle For Zendikar
Golgari Rot Farm
Grasslands
Grove of the Guardian
Haunted Fengraf
Isolated Chapel
Llanowar Wastes--Magic Origins
[cad]Murmuring Bosk[/card]
Sandsteppe Citadeil
Selesnya Sanctuary
Sunpetal, Grode
Terramorphic Expance
Vivid Grove

Swamp x 3, Onslaught, #339, #340, #341.
Plains x 3, Onslaught, #331; Odyssey, #333; and 4th Ed. #187
Forest x 18

Notable missing cards:
1) Greater Good: its big and bad, and draws cards. Now, just to pay ~$8 for a each of a few of them.

2) Treefolk: Kalonian Twingrove, Woodfall Primus, Sapling of Colfenor, and Black Poplar Shaman are all missing from my collecting currently or are in several different decks already. I'll place these in just as soon as I buy them.

3) I ran out of steam pretty quickly here, so my list is going to have to be short for now.

Thanks for taking a gander at it. It won't be great, but I get an itch periodically to play Treefolk.

Last edited by Segrus on 2015-Nov-26 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Doran Treehugger
AgePosted: 2015-Nov-26 3:26 pm 

What about Assault Formation? Acts as Doran #2 while also providing you global pump.

Nemata, Grove Guardian is a treefolk as well.
If you're running Cairn Wanderer and Mirror Entity, Chameleon Colossus seems worth a look.

Belbe's Armor - seems very strong here.
Slagwurm Armor - also seems good.

I'm not convinced Greater Good would be especially good here. Treefolk tend to be low power, so your card draw would not be very inspiring compared to your discard in many cases.

Also I'm going to assume "Liquify" in your list meant to be "Lignify".

EDIT: Song of the Dryads.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-26 4:14 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Also I'm going to assume "Liquify" in your list meant to be "Lignify".

Yeah...fixed. Typing error I didn't even notice. Thanks for the catch.
Sid the Chicken wrote:
What about Assault Formation? Acts as Doran #2 while also providing you global pump...
Belbe's Armor - seems very strong here...
Slagwurm Armor - also seems good.

Cards in the deck need to either be treefolk, do something for treefolks, or have tree(s)/branch/vine type thing in the artwork. These don't, but certainly would be fairly good if the theme didn't get in the way. Assault Formation was one of my first picks, but then later settled on narrower deck restrictions to create a more unique deck.
Sid the Chicken wrote:
Nemata, Grove Guardian is a treefolk as well.
If you're running Cairn Wanderer and Mirror Entity, Chameleon Colossus seems worth a look.
I'm not convinced Greater Good would be especially good here. Treefolk tend to be low power, so your card draw would not be very inspiring compared to your discard in many cases.
EDIT: Song of the Dryads.

Nemata would probably be alright, but I'd have to give some serious thought about what to take out in its place. Too many high cost treefolk might be bad. I'll see if I have one. Chameleon Colossus is tasty though, but I already know I have no more of those in my collection.

Verdeloth, Timber Protector, and Mirror Entity help push Greater Good into my favor for many of the treefolk, but a surprising number of the ones I've picked hit equal exchange (meaning drawing four cards; and in that case...something like 12 or more if you don't include the few which can pump themselves). I'm so low on card draw, virtually any card draw I can get is better than nothing.

Song of the Dryad is another I should have, but I'm not certain where its been placed. It might be in my cube or something, come to think of it...I'll have to look. Until then, Lignify will have to do.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-26 7:34 pm 

i hate it ;-)

I all seriousness, I agree we have all wanted a big awesome Treefolk deck. I can't think of any ideas really as you seem to have it covered. I built my goblin deck for similar reason to you building this, just cuz! haha. Hopefully next time they face off, you wont get indestructible out immediately haha

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-27 5:34 pm 

maiden77 wrote:
i hate it ;-)

I all seriousness, I agree we have all wanted a big awesome Treefolk deck. I can't think of any ideas really as you seem to have it covered. I built my goblin deck for similar reason to you building this, just cuz! haha. Hopefully next time they face off, you wont get indestructible out immediately haha

Yeah, that seemed kind of a fluke. After you had left, Rosemary drew into a Decimate and made Timber Protector vulnerable again. She followed that up with a conspired, overloaded Mizzium Mortars to wipe my field. She might have had me, if I hadn't been sandbagging a Ghoultree to pair up with my Indomitable Ancients with Doran after she did that.

Ghoultree is so awesome. ZOMBIE TREEFOLK? I mean, seriously, probably the closest thing to a Black Ent I'll ever get in Magic.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-29 12:39 am 

Segrus wrote:
It won't be great, but I get an itch periodically to play Treefolk.

I totally know that feeling. Treefolk is one of my favorite tribes, I like playing with them now and then but the deck usually isn't too exciting so I dismantle it.

Peeking at your list, Descendants' Path is one of my favorite cards to put in tribal decks and would fit here too. Luckily there is a tree in the artwork too.

Primitive Etchings is a tree too and fits in well thematically - its a tree that likes it when other trees joins the party. Not too hot though with only 26 creatures in the deck.

Keranos, God of Storms (Curiosity and creatures that deal noncombat damage)
Rasputin Dreamweaver (Voltron and x-spells)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-29 3:07 pm 

Sherlock wrote:
Not too hot though with only 26 creatures in the deck.
Basically why I decided to put both of those to the side and not play them. I didn't want to fill the deck with useless treefolk, so just about all of the useful ones are already in there. Without the printing of a number of more good ones, I think Descendants' Path and Primitive Etchings will stay out.

I'm pretty sure treefolk might be my favorite tribe. I've tried decks of just about every supported tribe--not all in EDH, but a bunch in 60-card Magic--and treefolk have always just been...cool. I don't know how to describe it.

Offline Profile