Scoured Barrens
Scrubland
Shambling Vent
Starlit Sanctum
Tainted Field
Temple of Silence
10 Plains
10 Swamp

Last edited by Spectrar Ghost on 2015-Nov-08 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Karlov and the Cleric-go-Round
AgePosted: 2015-Nov-06 11:57 am 

I really like Karl, and I've been looking for a reason to get a Bx sac/recursion deck for a while, so lets combine them!

Karl will be the deck's wincon as his pump makes him a perfect Voltron; all he needs is evasion. I can give him that. The rest of the deck is an engine for gaining small increments of life to pump Karl. Essentially it consists of a set of blockers that give life, cards that gain life on cast, ETB, or dies triggers, and sac and recursion engines. There are a few cost reducers, draw for life engines, and creature removal in the form of Grave Pact and friends. Top it off with a few sweepers and spot removal.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-06 12:10 pm 

I'm building a Karlov list similar to this, so I can give you some suggestions.

Have you considered Kokusho, the Evening Star and/or Ghost Council of Orzhova? If you have any sort of reanimator things, which I imagine you probably should in Orzhov, these two can be really powerful, especially together. Maybe Ajani's Pridemate? Archangel of Thune?

A lot of these cards are pretty good and work well together, but if you're going for a lifegain strategy the cards I've mentioned plus a couple others probably would work pretty nicely.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-06 1:06 pm 

I considered all four. From a purely mechanical standpoint I should probably include the Ghost Council, and may still. Seems like having them breathing down Kharlov's neck would be rude though.
Pridemate got cut for not giving the counters to Karl, while the others were purely financial. I simply can't afford to trick out everything at once. Both are strong possibilities for later.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-06 7:04 pm 

I think you're wandering off track with cards like Arashin Cleric and Demon Horn. Their main problem is that outside of triggering Karlov, they are bad cards. There is pretty much no scenario where you're going to have fun playing vanilla 1/3s when your friends are going bananas with decks that get to draw dozens of cards or make giant/giant snake tokens.

Life gain is a mechanic that gets stapled on just about anything, so instead of looking for vanilla cards that happen to have a life-gain trigger, I'd look for life gain that's attached to useful effect...

Need more mana? How 'bout Pristine Talisman, High Market, Vault of the Archangel, or Seraph Sanctuary?
Need to fend off counterattacks? How bout Riot Control or Blind Obedience?
Need a creature removed? Exile it!
Need more graveyard control? Honor the Fallen, or maybe Graveyard Shovel?
Need some general purpose Swiss-army knives? You got Trading Post and Staff of Domination.

Not to mention you have free reign to go nuts with any number of lifelink equipments and creatures and the multitude of Subversion-style bleeder cards.

Also, I'm pretty sure Karlov would have fun riding a Sunscorch Regent into battle.

Is cleric tribal important here? I tried playing BW clerics for a while, and I didn't like it, but there's more stuff you could do with it if you want. (I like vampires for my BW tribe though.)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-07 9:41 am 

...AND, Kemev wins the thread!

Glint-Eye Nephilim (combat tricks, card draw, & creature pump)
Oloro Upkeep Tribal (enchantment-based control)
and more:Decklists

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-08 3:39 pm 

Kemev wrote:
I think you're wandering off track with cards like Arashin Cleric and Demon Horn. Their main problem is that outside of triggering Karlov, they are bad cards. There is pretty much no scenario where you're going to have fun playing vanilla 1/3s when your friends are going bananas with decks that get to draw dozens of cards or make giant/giant snake tokens.

Let's just say that I'm trying to build a deck that is not above the power level of the rest of the group this time. As it stands I need to notch it up a tad, but those are not concerns I have at this time.

Quote:
Life gain is a mechanic that gets stapled on just about anything, so instead of looking for vanilla cards that happen to have a life-gain trigger, I'd look for life gain that's attached to useful effect...

[snip]

Also, I'm pretty sure Karlov would have fun riding a Sunscorch Regent into battle.

Good suggestions, but part of what I want from this deck is the experience of building a working, reliable creature recursion engine. I've never quite gotten it to work the way I want before. The other part is that this is really a Voltron deck in disguise. Karlov needs to get many individual triggers, not single larger triggers. He also wants to do the hitting himself. The clerics are there for ETB and GTG triggers, and to chump block in pursuit of said triggers.

Sunscorch Regent, on the other hand, is freaking brilliant.

Quote:
Is cleric tribal important here? I tried playing BW clerics for a while, and I didn't like it, but there's more stuff you could do with it if you want. (I like vampires for my BW tribe though.)

I feel it is, for both flavor and mechanical reasons. Flavorwise, why wouldn't you want Karl followed around by a bunch of priests whose sole reason for being is to be killed and reanimated to fatten up the Don? Mechanically, Edgewalker allows me to set up an infinite loop with Ashnod's Altar as well as with the far more pricey Phyrexian Altar.

mmcgeach wrote:
...AND, Kemev wins the thread!

God I hate that phrase.
This is a deckbuilding thread. The house always wins in deckbuilding threads, because Kemev doesn't gain anything by making someone else's deck better.

Last edited by Spectrar Ghost on 2015-Nov-08 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-08 4:04 pm 

All that said, I did make some fairly major changes before I was satisfied to make some purchases.

Got rid of all the defender stuff, which was kitschy and unnecessary.
-Perimeter Captain
-Pride Guardian
-Wall of Hope
-Wall of Essence
-Souls of the Faultless

Got rid of some stuff which was peripheral to the main goal, or simply a subpar choice.
-Inquisitor Exarch
-Serene Steward
-Vizkopa Guildmage
-Dross Harvester
-Purity
-Treasury Thrull
-Defiant Bloodlord

Added more focused choices; Some better Lifegain, some Clerics with spells attached.
+Devout Monk
+Auriok Champion
+Monk Realist
+War Priest of Thune
+Heliod's Pilgrim
+Monk Idealist
+Sunscorch Regent

Took out some duplicate Draw Engines
-Erebos, God of the Dead
-Greed

Added Some tutors instead. Usually not my style, but I think they'll be needed for consistency's sake.
+Demonic Tutor
+Diabolic Intent
+Diabolic Tutor
+Dark Petition

Replaced some sweepers with ones I didn't need to purchase.
-Wrath of God
-Day of Judgment
+Crux of Fate
+Rout

Removed the color triggered artifacts.
-Demon Horn
-Angel's Feather

Added miscellaneous stuff.
+Utter End
+Sadistic Glee
+Elspeth, Sun's Champion
+Phyrexian Altar

Land Swaps.
+Bojuka Bog
+Command Tower
+Opal Palace
-2 Swamp

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-09 6:47 pm 

If you like clerics, you might also like Doomed Necromancer and Order of Whiteclay. They work well with a lot of your cards (and also each other). You could also add Proclamation of Rebirth to recycle your 1-drop guys. I still think I'd look for more repeatable effects (Soulmender maybe?) instead of the one-shot guys.

I also really like Battletide Alchemist and Weathered Wayfarer. Alchemist's mostly a pet card, but Wayfarer is genuinely powerful (especially in non-green, non-land-rampy decks).

And speaking of land tutoring, Shizo, Death's Storehouse seems pretty good with Karlov.

Edit: Almost forgot... if you like the cleric-infinite-loops, you might look at some of the old Life combo decks. I couldn't find a decent, up-to-date decklist at a quick glance, but there's this ancient article by Magic archaeologist and noted fossil Mike Flores.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-09 11:18 pm 

How about Exquisite blood? Should trigger quite a bit in multiplayer.

And you might as well throw in Sanguine Bond for the combo, if you're into that kind of thing.

Omnath - draw your deck
Oloro - hardcore control
Prossh - combo

On the drawing board:
Barrin, Master Bouncer (multiplayer)

Retired:
Daxos
Derevi - French
Marath - combo
Sisay

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-09 11:40 pm 

Kemev wrote:
If you like clerics, you might also like Doomed Necromancer and Order of Whiteclay. They work well with a lot of your cards (and also each other). You could also add Proclamation of Rebirth to recycle your 1-drop guys. I still think I'd look for more repeatable effects (Soulmender maybe?) instead of the one-shot guys.

I also really like Battletide Alchemist and Weathered Wayfarer. Alchemist's mostly a pet card, but Wayfarer is genuinely powerful (especially in non-green, non-land-rampy decks).

And speaking of land tutoring, Shizo, Death's Storehouse seems pretty good with Karlov.

Edit: Almost forgot... if you like the cleric-infinite-loops, you might look at some of the old Life combo decks. I couldn't find a decent, up-to-date decklist at a quick glance, but there's this ancient article by Magic archaeologist and noted fossil Mike Flores.

I really like some of those. I'll check out the article later.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-10 9:00 am 

Having read the linked article, I can safely say you may have inadvertently caused serious trauma to my playgroup. Thank you.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-30 8:49 am 

I too put together a Karlov Kleric deck. I'll get my decklist up soon.

Some notes...Karlov gets into one hit range really quick. He needs more evasion. Dauthi Embrace is going to go in.

Need lots of recursion to be any good. Clerics are difficult to make good without going into infinite combo realm.

Archangel of Thune is good. Sunscorch Regent looks better.

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-30 3:28 pm 

Ooh, forgot about Dauthi Embrace. Sunscorch Regent is already in, and is a powerhouse. I've found myself playing a longer game with more removal before the kill, but Karlov does rack up the tokens insanely quick. One thing I found more hilarious than expected was Carnival of Souls + Extort. You might not gain as much overall,, but it's essentially a free extort when you cast a creature.

A game state I actually encountered In a dry run was Karlov + Carnival of Souls + Soul Sister + Ph. Reclamation + Vampiric Rites + Crypt Ghast + Sunscorch Regent + Temple Guard. Each round of recursion netted something like 16 counters, 7 life, and a card per six mana investment. Of course, that was only 4 land with Crypt Ghast.

Offline Profile