Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-18 7:54 am

Post subject: Ramses Overdark - Helping you! (Die!)
AgePosted: 2015-Oct-06 9:47 pm 

I don't often post on this subforum, but this deck is off the wall enough I thought I would. It's a Ramses Overdark Assassin/Control build. Have a look through and let me know what you think :)

// Enchanting!
1 Animate Artifact
1 Aura Graft
1 Banewasp Affliction
1 Copy Enchantment
1 Creature Bond
1 Dragon Shadow
1 Dragon Wings
1 Fallen Ideal
1 Fool's Demise
1 Genju of the Fens
1 Grim Guardian
1 Launch
1 Mystic Restraints
1 Paralyze
1 Propaganda
1 Singing Bell Strike
1 Slow Motion
1 Vampiric Link
1 Witch's Mist

//Tappy Tappy (both tapping your stuff and untapping mine)
1 Adverse Conditions
1 Borrowing 100,000 Arrows
1 Freed from the Real
1 Maddening Imp - Grixmas 2013 edition ;)
1 Pemmin's Aura
1 Retreat to Corelhelm
1 Sleep
1 Thousand-Year Elixir

//Assassins
1 Dark Impostor
1 Evil Twin
1 Nightshade Assassin
1 Royal Assassin
1 Stronghold Assassin

// What's Yours Is Mine
1 Confiscate
1 Domineer
1 Dream Leash
1 Mind Control
1 Rootwater Matriarch
1 Soul Ransom
1 Steal Artifact
1 Take Possession

// Removals
1 Altar of Shadows
1 Assassinate
1 Avatar of Woe
1 Decree of Pain
1 Feast of Dreams
1 Hex - Grixmas 2014 edition ;)
1 Phyrexian Ingester
1 Pooling Venom

// Randoms
1 AEtherize
1 Arcane Denial - Grixmas 2014 edition ;)
1 Baleful Strix
1 Consuming Aberration
1 Darksteel Ingot - Grixmas 2014 edition ;)
1 Draining Whelk
1 Harvester of Souls
1 Illusionist's Bracers
1 Illusionist's Gambit
1 Ink-Eyes, Servant of Oni
1 Sol Ring - Grixmas 2014 edition ;)
1 Solemn Simulacrum
1 Sepulchral Primordial
1 Swiftfoot Boots
1 Thornbite Staff

//Mana
1 Bojuka Bog
1 Dismal Backwater
1 Drowned Catacomb
1 Sunken Ruins
1 Temple of the False God
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 Vivid Creek
1 Watery Grave
16 Island
12 Swamp

//Sideboard
SB: 1 Ramses Overdark

There's quite a few interactions that aren't immediately obvious; the Thornbite Staff combos nicely with any and all of the Assassins (Ramses included). This deck is screaming out for Screams from Within but I somehow don't own any. There's a few cards that interact with the opponent's graveyards, because hopefully they'll be nice and full when the deck is humming along. I particularly like the Genju of the Fens/Urborg,/Ramses interaction :)

There are more auras that return themselves when they go to the graveyard, but I don't have them. Might pick them up later.

Comments welcome!

Edits
-Crab Umbra
-Brink of Disaster

+ Adverse Conditions
+ Retreat to Coralhelm

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Last edited by Viperion on 2015-Oct-08 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Ramses Overdark - Helping you! (Die!)
AgePosted: 2015-Oct-06 11:43 pm 

Now that's cool. I have a Ramses deck. I wrote a bit about it here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17769

I made some changes since then. Take a look, I'll post a more elaborate reply later.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-07 9:23 am 

Ooh Agent of the Fates looks good, likewise Doomwake Giant (I more or less missed Theros block so didn't even know AotF existed). I really wanted to include Nekrataal for Old Times' Sake(tm) and may still find a spot for it. Wei Assassins, likewise seems pretty good.

I did briefly consider the poison angle, but decided against it. How does your group respond to it? Glistening Oil is one of those cards that very nearly made the cut, but it would have been the only infect card in the whole deck, so I cut it.

Domineering Will as an untapper is a cool trick I hadn't thought of.... hmmmm

Some things to think about, thanks! :D

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-07 8:32 pm 

What I found is that there are a lot of aura's that are pretty cool, but lack an effect to make them relevant. Take Banewasp Affliction for example. Yes, creatures die in EDH, and yes, you can use this with Ramses and Matriarch. But when you play the card, nothing happens. At best... at worst it'll make you a target. I try to limit myself to playing cards that either have an immediate effect can be played on my own creatures. This is what makes something like Shade's Form so good. While Banewasp Affliction is cool and fits thematically, you'd have been better off if it was a Profane Command or something.

Not that I want to pick on Banewasp Affliction or your deck, it's just to explain how I got with the deck as it is. The thing is, Ramses doesn't automatically give you a strong deck (understatement of the year), and I couldn't pull it off to play too many "subpar" cards. If you play more stronger cards to shore up your weaknesses, you might pull it off. If you'd ask me how to make room for other cards though, this is where I'd look for space.

As for Glistening Oil, I just cut it... People freak out when they see it, and that's not a good thing. It's not the only poison card though, I have Suq'Ata Assassin as well. I thought these two cards would make for a nice sub-theme. There's some unblockability in the deck to make it a viable win-con.

But I need to make room for new toys. Retreat to Coralhelm needs to go in, and I added both Primordials. I also added Phyrexian Arena, instead of Deep Analysis. That was a tough choice, because I loved Odyssey block standard. But the enchantment makes more sense with the enchantment recursion I'm playing.

With all those untappers, shouldn't you be playing Arcanis the Omnipotent?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-08 7:57 am 

Yeah I get where you're coming from; the idea with Creature Bond and Banewasp Affliction in particular is that I won't cast them until I have a way to kill the enchanted creature straight away (typically with Ramses on the board). I haven't actually played with the deck yet, but will see how they work out.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-08 10:34 am 

It might help to have Skull of Orm and/or Crystal Chimes.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-08 8:22 pm 

I run both, and they make you wish you'd have better recursion instead. Crystal Chimes is no Replenish. The good thing about Skull of Orm is that it has a cheap version from The Dark. And I bet that card looks good as a Grixmas alter...

By the way, Bestow creatures and Licids are easily recurred in these colors. Perhaps you could work with that.

Offline Profile