Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Aug-23 1:04 pm

Post subject: [/Rant]
AgePosted: 2015-May-17 8:24 pm 

Just had a rather off-topic thing bothering me and wanted to vent. Then I thought a generic thread for that might be useful here (search found a few MtG Related rant threads, but I didn't want to necro those since this is venting on non-Magic things). So, if anyone else wants to use this to get some random stuff off your chest, feel free.

For me.... Just finished "Saint Odd" (Last book of Odd Thomas Series by Dean Koontz).

I really hate when a great series doesn't get the ending it deserves. It was a good book, I think. However, when I finished I felt very dissatisfied and wasn't sure exactly why (though there were things that leapt out to me as issues I had). After sleeping on it I think I know why it bothers me now, but that doesn't help resolve the dissatisfaction.

Rant under spoiler, for those that haven't read the book or series (and despite everything, the series really is worth reading).

The obvious things that bothered me were the number of things that went unexplained:
What are bodachs (for this book series)?
Considering the first three books had a number of "theories" about this, it seemed an implicit promise that before the series was through, their nature in this story would be explained.

What, precisely, is "Fully blue and smooth?"
The book implies it is seeing/sensing the true nature of the world. But since this happens as Odd Dies, does it mean that they all had to die (or have a near-death experience) or is it something else. This is too big a topic through the last two books to have left it unexplained. there are things in books that can (and maybe should) be left up to the reader to decide for themselves. But as far as plot structuring goes, when the author has that intent then the enigma should be a background issue. By dragging this so front and center, Koontz should have given more of an explanation, even if it was just Odd's ruminations on what he thought it meant which may, or may not, be accurate.

What is Edie's organization?
Because of the above, does this mean her organization is made up of the returned dead? Obviously, it is an organization of those that are "fully blue an smooth" and are the "good" side to balance and fight the "evil." But again, without more explanation on "fully smooth and blue" this is left unresolved as well (though explained better than other questions).

etc.

But I think what really bothers me are the plot holes.

If there was this cult planning a mass infection by Weaponized Rabies, and that cult had already hooked it up the carnival attraction, why would they be waiting until 2345 to release it? Odd never explained the threat (or the vaccine) to anybody, and by all logic they should have been infecting people all day. So, the "threat" was hokum and not really resolved at all. The cult was never really stopped either.

And that doesn't even get into how the cultists were consistently able to find Odd (which is mentioned several times, but not explained, even by the coyotes) and other small "issues" in the book.

Just wanted to put my thought down somewhere and vent. Thanks.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: [/Rant]
AgePosted: 2015-May-18 12:15 am 

Haven't read that series but Enders Game?

I'm trudging through the last chapters of Children of the Mind in the Ender's Game saga. Enders Game was stunning. Speaker for the Dead was...... differently paced but well written.

Xenocide & Children of the Mind were just lot of work. Card managed to spiral from a stunning galaxy-spanning psychological drama to tired sibling in-fighting and anecdotal "crisis" in the space of a couple of books.

It's been a long time since I was so disappointed by a series of sequels as this one to the point that I'm not sure I'll even both with the "Shadow" series.

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-18 12:46 am 

I couldn't make it through Xenocide+ that whole line of story just didn't do it for me. The Shadow line lost steam and crashed. Too bad, Ender's Shadow was my favorite.

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-18 5:07 am 

zimagic wrote:

I'm trudging through the last chapters of Children of the Mind in the Ender's Game saga. Enders Game was stunning. Speaker for the Dead was...... differently paced but well written.

Xenocide & Children of the Mind were just lot of work. Card managed to spiral from a stunning galaxy-spanning psychological drama to tired sibling in-fighting and anecdotal "crisis" in the space of a couple of books.

It's been a long time since I was so disappointed by a series of sequels as this one to the point that I'm not sure I'll even both with the "Shadow" series.

The Ender's Shadow series was actually better than Xenocide and Children of the Mind in my opinion, though I don't agree with Card's politics.

To keep the thread on topic...

I manage a team of 6 people working at a customer site for an IT outsourcer. We all sit here with the customer, and we're part of the team when they want something for free, and turn around and try to throw us under the bus whenever something breaks (it's almost always an app problem rather than a server one, and we're only responsible for the servers). God it drives me nuts.

Rafiq, Sharuum, Nekusar, Kresh, Mayael, Kaalia, Maelstrom Wanderer, Ghave, Ruhan, Mimeoplasm, Genju of the Realm, Phelddagrif, Derevi, Oloro, Jenara, Karrthus, Marath, Tariel, Riku, Karador, Numot, Damia, Sliver Overlord, Karn, Silver Golem

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-18 6:52 am 

I was disappointed with Mostly Harmless, the last book in the Hitchhiker's Guide series. Not that the style of writing really changed or anything, I just didn't like the ending. I'd have been happy with the series ending with So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-18 7:26 am 

I know it's controversial, but I really liked the ending of the Dark Tower series. I thought it was a perfect way to wrap it up. It actually ended the series better than any other ending of a series I know.

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-18 10:07 am 

I don't think I've like an ending to any of Stephen King's books, except for maybe pet semetary.

The Dark Tower Series was a major disappointment for me.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-18 1:40 pm 

yeah I know it's really polarizing but I thought it was a perfect fit for Roland. Ka is like a wheel; its one purpose, to turn.

Getting through Song of Susannah is a chore, as is the first half of The Dark Tower but I feel he really gets back onto the path and nails the ending. One of the few series where I had no questions left after the end.

The one disappointment I had was how trivial Martin ended up.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-18 8:10 pm 

zimagic wrote:

scatteredsun wrote:
I couldn't make it through Xenocide+ that whole line of story just didn't do it for me. The Shadow line lost steam and crashed. Too bad, Ender's Shadow was my favorite.

I think what throws most people off of the Speaker trilogy is that they aren't warned that it is a philosophical series more than an action series. Many go into the series expecting it to be similar to Ender's Game or the Shadow series and are caught off-guard and disappointed.

Below is a product I made for a few friends that were interested in reading Ender's Game. What I told them was that the universe of those stories was constructed in such a way that you can read those parts that interest you and aren't realty missing much if you don't read the other parts. Personally, I enjoyed all of it but I also had warning that the Speaker trilogy would be very different from the rest of the series.

Most of the sections in boxes should be read together, in the order shown. However the sections themselves can be read in almost any order (though I always recommend that Ender's Game itself be the first book read).

The exception being the box around Ender in Exile, where those short stories are all incorporated in the text of Ender in Exile, so if you read that book, you don't really need to read the short stories since they are in the book (slightly changed). Also, the only cross so far, where one thing should follow another is: I recommend to people that Ender in Exile should be read after the Shadow Trilogy (Hegemon, Puppets, Giant) if you plan to read them both. There is one thing from the Shadow Trilogy that is wrapped up in Exile.

Also, I wouldn't recommend reading Shadows in flight without reading the Shadow Trilogy, though one can easily read the shadow trilogy without going on to Shadows in Flight.

Still waiting on Shadows Alive to release, it is supposed to tie the end of Bean's Story to Children of the Mind.

The Earth Trilogy at the top is the story of the First Bugger War (introducing Mazer too) and is much more like Ender's Game than it is like the Speaker Trilogy.

Short stories in Purple are from published books (First Meetings and War of Gifts) while short stories in Red and Online at Intergalactic Medicine Show.

More on topic, can I just say how frustrating it is when people are too lazy to do their J-O-B. I shouldn't have to spend the first hour of work fixing things the previous shift missed to did wrong. Ughh

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-18 11:59 pm 

Honestly, the entire saga by Orson Scott Card has a central focus of philosophy. I thought all the books were amazing, but I knew before hand that all the books had that focus.

If only more Science Fiction was like that, and not the empty fluff and drivel like an 80's action movie.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-19 2:00 am 

Buthrakaur wrote:
Honestly, the entire saga by Orson Scott Card has a central focus of philosophy. I thought all the books were amazing, but I knew before hand that all the books had that focus.

If only more Science Fiction was like that, and not the empty fluff and drivel like an 80's action movie.

OSC can suck it. He has the right to voice his opinion but I have the right to think he's a douchebag for it. It's too bad he wrote a couple entertaining books.

Speaking of 80's action movie sci-fi. I love the crap out of Battlefield Earth. The book. No it was never made into horrible string of 24 pictures per second. I deny it. WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT FOREST WHITAKER??? *cry*

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-19 12:59 pm 

One series that had an ending I didn't much like was Inheritence (AKA Eragon). I felt that Eragon's defeat of Galbatorix was a glorified way of saying "And he believed in himself, which allowed him to triumph". Also, I felt like the third Rider thing was just thrown into the end to say, "well, we'll satisfy that mystery" without any real reason or rhyme.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-26 3:59 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
I was disappointed with Mostly Harmless, the last book in the Hitchhiker's Guide series. Not that the style of writing really changed or anything, I just didn't like the ending. I'd have been happy with the series ending with So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

Eoin Colfer wrote a sequel (And Another Thing...) that sort of picked things up and left them in a completely different unusual place. He's not quite the same as Douglas Adams, but it was a valiant effort and much appreciated by me as a fan of the series in general.

Moving on, has anyone else ever tried to read the Chronicles of Narnia? 7 books introducing generations of characters, which then suddenly and inexplicably
ALL MANAGE TO DIE IN A FREAKING TRAIN CRASH!!! (with the exception of Susan who has wisely become a prostitute and no longer follows the teachings of the Jesus Allegory Lion.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-29 8:47 am 

I hate the homogenization that occurs in the entertainment industry. It goes something like this:

An innovation comes in. The work it's in is popular (partly) because of it. Other works try to emulate the innovation in an attempt to emulate the success of the original. The innovation becomes ubiquitous and later a standard. The audiences come to expect it and berate the works that don't have it. But the innovation is very costly and very time-consuming to make right and eventually it makes "blockbuster" titles so expensive to make that authors can't really afford to experiment in any way with them, so the subsequent works become more and more dull and unimaginative, endless sequels kick in and if a work is not a sequel, it's based on a time-proven older work that's universally popular to ensure the return of the investment.

I'm so sad that after hitting the movie market hard, this came down on the gaming world as well. The latest disappointment in this regard for me was Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2. I haven't finished it yet, but about three quarters in, it's a giant mess.
The game doesn't know if it's a bad action game, a bad platformer or a bad movie.
The story makes no sense, the world fails to give any kind of rules that are at work there, so one could make any sense of it. Just a string of random events spiced with some narmy "drama". Yaaawn.
I can't remember any of the music pieces from the game, because it's all either orchestral mess or an ambient nothing.
There are lots of artificial barriers where you walk into a small corridor through an open door, flip a switch, watch an animation of a mechanism working, that valiantly fails to cover up the painfully obvious fact it's just a masked loading screen, then FINALLY the second door open and you can move on.
Regular enemies are just bland.
But of course it has gorgeous graphics and effects so we're all expected to shut up and shell out. Well, tough luck, guys, I ain't gonna pay full price for that. You know what, I'll save my cash for a 2D indie game with weird art style, simple, catchy tunes, great and/or innovative gameplay and a genuinely gripping atmosphere and story, how do you like that?!

In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-29 11:53 am 

RabidSloth wrote:
Eoin Colfer wrote a sequel (And Another Thing...) that sort of picked things up and left them in a completely different unusual place. He's not quite the same as Douglas Adams, but it was a valiant effort and much appreciated by me as a fan of the series in general.

I'll have to check that out.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile